Best intros to goa tracks

acid-brain

So lush pads.

bpc - hemo static ii. the intro is epic and spacious, but the track while very good never reaches the proportions of the intro.

also d5 - ganymede. in the intro we get that awesome outer space chord progression, but the rest of the track is still good but never gets to the same level. we do get the continuation of that progression in caprica though :)

maybe psychomachine also deserves a mention here. the best part of the track is when the first (unfiltered) kick hits.

So lovely with the chirping birds, which fits so wonderfully with the album artwork. And also because I used to listen to this album a lot when taking early morning walks in the summer before. With birds chirping outside the headphones as well.

One of the most summery euphoric intros ever.

Sandman - Starfinder

Astral Prohection - Mahadeva (reminds me of being 13 on a beach when life was easy, and it blasted out of the speakers).

am sure there's many more but yeah. 

Just to clarify, the tracks I've posted I consider to be really good, not just the intro. :)  Then of course, intros can at times be so epic, that you might want to restart the track just to experience it again.

Here are two other tracks which I recently discovered and love the intros in:

The first track Radiance, has no doubt in my mind influenced lots of Mindsphere tracks.

This intro and track is just beyond words. Can you imagine a Tim Schuldt remaster of the album it appears on? :o 

https://www.psynews.org/forums/topic/55725-hunab-ku-magik-universe/

• Like 2

It's been ages since I listened to Magick Universe. One of this albums where it sometimes sounds really dated, but other times it has moments of brilliance so good it convinces you it's among the best trance ever made. Dreamstar has elements of a crossover into Oakenfold uplifting trance but then drops back to the acid depths of Dimension 5, before suddenly pulling off the uplifting melody again - a beautiful gem. I'm surprised the album wasn't more popular, the style sounds perfect for the dancefloors of the time.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 1:50 AM, acid-brain said:

It's been ages since I listened to Magick Universe. One of this albums where it sometimes sounds really dated, but other times it has moments of brilliance so good it convinces you it's among the best trance ever made. Dreamstar has elements of a crossover into Oakenfold uplifting trance but then drops back to the acid depths of Dimension 5, before suddenly pulling off the uplifting melody again - a beautiful gem. I'm surprised the album wasn't more popular, the style sounds perfect for the dancefloors of the time.

Yes I'm a bit perplexed by this albums legacy. It's not mentioned nearly as often as many other classic goa albums. And I myselft had overlooked it completely. I'm wondering if the cover art is a contributing factor? It looks a bit homemade, in comparison to for example Astral Projections album artwork. That and perhaps the somewhat older style/sound quality might have scared some people off on a brief first playthrough. It certainly sounds as if it was recorded a couple of years prior to its release. Anyone in the know as to when the tracks on it was actually recorded? When I compare it back to back with  Ra-To Sirius, Magik Universe sounds way older. The kick drums in some tracks in particular sound as if from an earlier era. But it's a bit uneven in that regard, some tracks have a more D5-like sound going on.

Compared with To Sirius, where the tracks almost sound as if, they were made in the same studio sessions. And all tracks have the same crisp quality/sound setup. I imagine that people picking this up around release might have found its sound quite dated by the standards set by the newer psy trance around the year 2000. Goa was on its way out, and wasn't as in as it used to be. Kind of crazy to think that this album was released the same year as Infected Mushroom-Classical Mushroom and a year after Psysex-Expressions of Rage. If this would have been released just a couple of years earlier, with a more eye-catching artwork and crisp mastering. I think it would have been considered more of a classic. And maybe it wasn't as widely distributed as some of the other albums people widely associate with the genre?

• Like 2

Killer track for sure, crazy 303 drive :wub::+1:

3 hours ago, Diaks said:

Killer track for sure, crazy 303 drive :wub::+1:

I remember your tracks had nice intros but sadly I lost them a decade ago... you should upload them to youtube or even release an Diaks EP!

They are like 15 years old now? So it's retro! :D

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, Imba said:

I remember your tracks had nice intros but sadly I lost them a decade ago... you should upload them to youtube or even release an Diaks EP!

They are like 15 years old now? So it's retro! :D

Hehe thanks! :D I'm working on new goa tracks, which I think have an overall better sound quality than those old tracks. :blush: Working in logic now, used to make tracks in cubase. I'm humbled that someone would even mention my old simple attempts at goa trance. :+1: I have just recently registered a new domain where I will upload music samples/teasers. Thinking of uploading stuff to soundcloud. Last time I uploaded music was in the myspace era. We can talk later in pm, and I'll show you some tracks in progress.

• Like 1

Back on topic with an epic intro :) damn do I miss my lost nitzhonot kick library. I need some huge kicks like that!

Yeah that intro is really cool, sets the tone really good. Such a unique track. It must have inspired Infected Mushroom a lot. That's my impression at least :)

This track with Simon involved is a bit in the same style. Also weird as fuck intro, but the gamma goblins one is of course more interesting :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah MFG sure had some of the best ideas out there. :+1: The intro to New Kind of World also still gives me goosebumps when played in the summer.

• Thanks 1