Frontiers of Psychedelic Counciousness

HolyLight

Started to read this one now, just out of curiosity since it features Simon Posford and Albert Hofmann among others.

Anyone read it? Good?

https://www.amazon.com/Frontiers-Psychedelic-Consciousness-Conversations-Stanislav/dp/1620553929

*edit* reading it now. The interview with Simon Posford alone is worth it. Really insightful into the creative process behind Shpongle and Hallucinogen. This is a proper interview. Very interesting. :)

On 3/26/2020 at 1:07 AM, Diaks said:

Started to read this one now, just out of curiosity since it features Simon Posford and Albert Hofmann among others.

Anyone read it? Good?

https://www.amazon.com/Frontiers-Psychedelic-Consciousness-Conversations-Stanislav/dp/1620553929

*edit* reading it now. The interview with Simon Posford alone is worth it. Really insightful into the creative process behind Shpongle and Hallucinogen. This is a proper interview. Very interesting. :)

Thanks for the tip, I just bought it. Now I already have a few book that I have planned to read, let's see when I can squeeze this one in.

Please let me know what you think of it, without spoliers of course.  :)

21 hours ago, staffan said:

Thanks for the tip, I just bought it. Now I already have a few book that I have planned to read, let's see when I can squeeze this one in.

Please let me know what you think of it, without spoliers of course.  :)

I really like it so far, a good selection of different interesting people. Each a legend in their specific field. Without spoiling anything, what I really enjoyed with the Simon Posford interview for example is how personal it felt, you know like if you meet a good friend and discuss things.

And it was really interesting to hear more on the inspiration behind the music. Compared to the more technical studio/equipment focused interviews. This was much more grounded in experiences with psychdelics and the impact it has had on the music he has created as a result of those experiments.

Which is really the type of stuff I always was curious about since I started to listen to psytrance. Because when I first listened to the Twisted album, I always though that this must be have been created by some kind of modern day shaman. :D I was like wtf where did this music come from? I was so alien and different, what was the inspiration? What type of experiences lead up to this? But all the interviews with psytrance artists were always so secretive. For good reasons of course, since the substances are still highly illegal in many countries.

Which also reminds me of H.R Giger, whose art I always found very psychedelic, and I googled a lot to see if he revealed any of his experiences with the subject. He said in an interview that it was still a very controversial topic in Switzerland at the time. But reading between the lines and based on the people he was good friends with, I guess one can reach some conclusions. As he knew Timothy Leary and also appeared in an interview with Albert Hofmann.