some insane dNb

astralprojection

• 2 weeks later...

nice thread. i've been pretty much oblivious to recent dnb since i started going to tekno/psy parties. 99% of the tracks i know are from before 2004.

these tracks above are nice and fluffy. something i'd like to hear when sitting together with friends.

for the dancefloor i'd prefer something like this one: 

@psychedelic chipmunk

I meant as insanely good not actually insane but why not :) a bit rough on the ends for my taste 

@Padmapani

Your track is a bit more classic/jungle than the fluffy liquid tracks I posted, you're right they're more for casual listening than anything else, background music :) although headphone music for me! Here's another fluffy background track, I really like this guys mixing. 

it is nicely mixed and it has a good punchy kick. not something you'd usually find in dnb. but for this one i could do without the vocal and i'm sometimes expecting the filter on the bass to sweep up and give it more presence, but that never happens ;) 

• Like 1

Seba is really good at his stuff for sure. I knew you wasnt gonna like the vocals :D 

anyhoo keep the tracks coming whoever out there also love you some nice dnb , wether it be 'insane', classic jungle, or liquid!

its a really beautiful music genre with a very high skill cap. The drums could be so intricate you wonder how in the heck they even made that pattern; or it could be quite simple but catchy anyway. And its an extremely broad genre too in terms of style and taste. 

Ive tried making some dnb but i gave up each time, couldnt get any sort of groovy and funky drum pattern. sounds like the hihats are shuffle and the other hihats are triplets and the kick+snare are straights, its too complicated for me ^^ 

here's another gem from back in the day. i think you'll like it. that's about as much vocals as my taste allows ;)

however my favourite from that album is still that one:

i just love my dnb with wild chooped up amen breaks and a deep growling bassline :)

yeah, making dnb is a little tricky. i think you need a wide repository of loops to choose the best sounds there. not too much you can do yourself synthesis wise for the drums. but the pattern is easy in theory. just choose either the amen break or for more "civilised" dnb the two-step pattern. the hard part is to make the whole thing really driving. just the amen break or two-step can sometimes be enough for early 00s style dnb but i guess modern dnb needs even more drums layered on top?

On 4/7/2020 at 12:37 AM, Padmapani said:

yeah, making dnb is a little tricky. i think you need a wide repository of loops to choose the best sounds there. not too much you can do yourself synthesis wise for the drums. but the pattern is easy in theory. just choose either the amen break or for more "civilised" dnb the two-step pattern. the hard part is to make the whole thing really driving. just the amen break or two-step can sometimes be enough for early 00s style dnb but i guess modern dnb needs even more drums layered on top?

well okay i wasnt even talking about loops then, i meant more as in programming your own drum breaks and patterns; seems really really difficult for some reason.

using loops seems a bit easier, drum breaks like amen definitely. i wonder how many gazillion times that break has been used in techno and dnb. :)

good tracks, nice drums on them all. heres a guy that has some insane timing..just casually playing some dnb on his mpc. (well okay technically not an mpc)

(he is probably using the drums from the amen break lol :P sounds like it)

• Like 1

what kind of magic is this? how does that thing keep everything so spot on timing wise? and how does he go so fast without making mistakes, especially at the part around 8:00 (btw, that's the amen break right there ;))?
also, lol at super sharp shooter :)

as far as i understand it kicks and snares are usually synthesised or layered but for the rest people just cut up drum loops (such as the amen break for example).

• Haha 1

i know right. you could set a watch to this guys timing. he has more videos and theyre just as insane. and i love how he just sits there casually and smiling while making these intricate quantized drums on the spot without missing a microsecond. maybe he uses auto-quantize so when he misses by a small amount; we still get the quantized version in the audiofeed. or maybe he is just as freaking insane as he appears :) 

yup its the amen break all over that thing ^^ at 1 min the drums are also from it i think.

edit: nah he is not auto quantizing :)

On 4/9/2020 at 6:56 PM, astralprojection said:

i know right. you could set a watch to this guys timing. he has more videos and theyre just as insane. and i love how he just sits there casually and smiling while making these intricate quantized drums on the spot without missing a microsecond. maybe he uses auto-quantize so when he misses by a small amount; we still get the quantized version in the audiofeed. or maybe he is just as freaking insane as he appears :) 

yup its the amen break all over that thing ^^ at 1 min the drums are also from it i think.

edit: nah he is not auto quantizing :)

i'd definitely have suspectd some auto quantisation happening there. but then i'd also have expected a small delay between button presses and the sound. there must be some trick at work here :)

maybe he alters the timing of the video and aligns it to a grid in postproduction ;) :P

• Like 1

that drumstep track is weird. it's hard hitting and lacking impact at the same time. my guess is that it's totally overcompressed.

the liquid track is quite a contrast with a soft sound and deep powerful bass in comparison. really nice one.

now to get back to the title of the topic here's a wild track from 2002.

this is what we used to call "dubstep" back in the day ;)

and about vocals. this used to be a popular closing track for just before the club closes when i was partying to dnb:

its acutally not bad because the cheesy vocal is balanced with the hard beats. not for prime time, but the dnb equivalent of morning fullon :)

showing my age here

nice one. but i can top that.

from 1994. but i've rarely heard this at parties. just as with psy i at first did not understand why the music at parties just wasn't as good as the music i got from friends (like this one) in the early 00s ;)