Quaratine?

the goa constrictor

Currently in isolation here in Australia. A teacher at my kids primary school tested positive last night, until they can trace all contacts we have to isolate ourselves.

We're allowed to go for walks or to playground as long as it's not crowded, and not anywhere near shops etc. 

Luckily I had already done our fortnightly grocery shop last week so we're ok for 2 weeks. 

Just took delivery of my Erica Synths Techno system modular synth so am sorted for entertainment.

I'm really hoping I wasn't  carrying it to my parents house on Sunday though. My Mum has just got out of hospital after being badly hit by a car, and they are 85 years old.

Northern part of Croatia has been affected much more than it's case here in southern region of Dalmatia where I live, however situation is getting worse each day after new testings. Some people who were at the skiing in Austria and who worked abroad (northern part of Italy) aren't acting responsible and trying to avoid the self-isolation. Some special laws were implemented to prevent thoose situations. On the other hand a lot of people started helping elders by bringing food since they were advised not to go out and many people are sharing the #stayhome #stayathome campaing to raise awareness of prevention.

Mixed feelings of panicking, fear and togetherness in this mess. People are also affraid about their jobs especially in the tourist sector of our economy. We are still working (manufacturing/pressing sector here) and our youngest citizens are having their school lessons via national television / online classes for a couple of days already.

The main goal of goverment is to avoid the scenario that happened in Italy (and now in Spain) so I hope we won't witness that, but time will tell. Let's hope for the best.

Stay safe guys!

working overtime here. pharmacies have to stay open. i come home from work after 10h nonstop trying to keep everyting running and fall asleep. i really hope people will come to their sensen finally start to take this seriously in the coming days. we have 80-year olds arguing about the discounts on aronia berry juice, while others demonstate their dry cough. fuck people.

and fuck european governments. this place is such a mess. i seriously contemplate moving to asia where things just work a lot better when this is over. no matter if it's taiwan, singapore, korea, thailand, malaysia, (even china!)... they all were hit way harder from the intital wave than europe and did an infinitely better job at containing the virus, also doing a lot more testing. over here income from tourism was more important. i was acutally in singapore a few weeks ago and coming back from there feels like travelling to a 3rd world country.

we have no access any protective equipment and those of us who are not feeling well do not get access to tests…

You're very correct. Asian people have been through so many crisis, like my wife's family, the wars and persecution they have experienced over generations have taught them how to deal with these exact situations.

She has organized reasonable amounts of everything needed in our cupboards without hoarding, she has organized our daily routine to manage all the levels of fear and anxiety from our youngest child up to me, she is still working & because she has kept us rational our sex life now is better than its ever been.

I'm going out seeing white folk like me Behaving completely mental, because our privilege has meant we've never really needed to deal with such a crisis. 

The worst are the religious who every weekend pretend to to say words of love & care for their fellow humans but really don't.

When this eventually passes there will be, I assume, so very ashamed adults.

Anyway, gotta run as I promised my kids pancakes for breakfast & then while they do their homeschooling I'm cleaning the house.

Stay well!

I have a pharmacy and still encounter coughing people with sore throats at the counter. Man, they know they should first call the doctor and then come with a prescription or send somebody else. I even have a huge information flyer hanging outside on my window saying "not to come in when you're sick". Doesn't matter.

I got sick a few days ago, got myself tested at the doctors and just heard it's negative. Otherwise 1 week of quarantine. Would be a logistic mess. Now I was home for two days until the results came in.

It's a whole new life were in now. And it all happened almost overnight. Tuesday, when the newspapers said paracetamol was "good", our pharmacy was steamrolled by hamsterers (only 2 at a time of course). That day felt surreal, I really lost it for a while there. Unbelievable. 
Everyone got 1 box of paracetamol, although many asked for more. Madness it was.

Luckily things are slowing down now. Let's see it from here ...

8 hours ago, Aspartic said:

I have a pharmacy and still encounter coughing people with sore throats at the counter. Man, they know they should first call the doctor and then come with a prescription or send somebody else. I even have a huge information flyer hanging outside on my window saying "not to come in when you're sick". Doesn't matter.

I got sick a few days ago, got myself tested at the doctors and just heard it's negative. Otherwise 1 week of quarantine. Would be a logistic mess. Now I was home for two days until the results came in.

It's a whole new life were in now. And it all happened almost overnight. Tuesday, when the newspapers said paracetamol was "good", our pharmacy was steamrolled by hamsterers (only 2 at a time of course). That day felt surreal, I really lost it for a while there. Unbelievable. 
Everyone got 1 box of paracetamol, although many asked for more. Madness it was.

Luckily things are slowing down now. Let's see it from here ...

sounds very familiar. except we don't get tests (only people with symptoms worse than a flu who can prove they were in contact with someone who has already tested positive can get tested).

yeah, paracetamol hamsteres were here too. that rumour was not only unfounded but also if it were true it would still be pointless to hoard paracetamol at home…

i didn't see anything slow down here since i luckily got a day to recover now (we're working in two teams now, so we don't have to close if one team gets quarantined), but i do hope that you're right and everything will be a little less crazy and stressful next week.

• Like 1

Just realised that I haven't spoken to anyone face-to-face in a week now. I work in software and the transition to working from home hasn't been too painful. Been listening to a select few goa artists who really help get into the zone, chief among them Darshan. It really does feel like living in the future, I wake up shower and have breakfast and then I sit at my desk for the rest of the working day producing some code, and corresponding with my colleagues over Slack and telepresence. Read the news once every few hours and try to come to terms with how suddenly this massive uncertainty has come over our society. In the evenings I drink some beer and whisky. Rinse and repeat.

13 hours ago, acid-brain said:

Just realised that I haven't spoken to anyone face-to-face in a week now. I work in software and the transition to working from home hasn't been too painful.

Sounds familiar. I'm doing R&D. I have all my gear in here and enough room for another office-like setup. In a sense, there are even fewer distractions now. Of course, some daily routines like commuting and lunches have changed, but the work itself isn't that different. Most of it happens digitally anyway. I guess we have it really easy.

All hobbies and events involving physical presence have been cancelled. To be frank, I'm almost relieved right now. A forced short break from everything can be healthy if you've been doing too many different things, but after several months it probably starts to get infuriating and/or depressing.

We just had the annual meeting of one club (now arranged online). The unsurprising key conclusion was that we're basically screwed with the rent if everything remains closed and consequently there's no income from monthly usage fees and such. This obviously applies to many companies, clubs and individuals. Event organisers can also be truly SOL if they're acting responsibly and cancelling the event, while the venue still argues that there's no categorical ban and therefore no refund for anything.

For a couple of semi-coincidental reasons, I'm mainly eating old dry goods from a cupboard which couldn't even hold any new hoarding. There's time for all-day slow cooking if I'm in the mood for that. The contrast between the tranquility here and the apocalypse reported by shit tabloid media is striking.

Now I should have plenty of time to listen to music and to reorganise my old stuff. My brain just hasn't fully adjusted to this new, weird situation. It probably happens over time, though, because right now it looks like the minimum span of this remote working will be one month. Could be more, who knows. We'll see.

2 hours ago, Dolmot said:

The contrast between the tranquility here and the apocalypse reported by shit tabloid media is striking.

Now I should have plenty of time to listen to music and to reorganise my old stuff. My brain just hasn't fully adjusted to this new, weird situation. It probably happens over time, though, because right now it looks like the minimum span of this remote working will be one month. Could be more, who knows. We'll see.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I can't imagine what it'd be like to be a hospital nurse right now, or a restaurant worker in the US already living paycheque to paycheque. Rough times, and I'm hoping it will lead to positive political change. Meanwhile some sectors of the economy are weirdly unaffected or even doing better than normal right now.

18 hours ago, Padmapani said:

sounds very familiar. except we don't get tests (only people with symptoms worse than a flu who can prove they were in contact with someone who has already tested positive can get tested).

yeah, paracetamol hamsteres were here too. that rumour was not only unfounded but also if it were true it would still be pointless to hoard paracetamol at home…

i didn't see anything slow down here since i luckily got a day to recover now (we're working in two teams now, so we don't have to close if one team gets quarantined), but i do hope that you're right and everything will be a little less crazy and stressful next week.

A fellow pharmacist? Hang in there bro. Crazy times huh.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 11:24 PM, Padmapani said:

Exactly. I felt sick recently, well actually two weeks ago ... it was a strange kind of sickness, i felt like I had a flu but without the headache ... doctor let me at home for a week, no test was made. Well ... what can you say. But I'm not complaining.

The only people I am genuinely worried about are my parents - they're 79 and both have pretty severe pre-conditions - mom had cancer, dad has a really (really, really) bad heart ... both of them are not gonna make it if they got sick with that new thing.

We are trying our best not to have any contact - I am, however, the only person that can go shopping for them. Whenever I go to them and give them new groceries it's like we are exchanging hot potatoes ... it's all then wiped with a disinfectant cloth (I insisted on that). Guess that's all we can do. 

I really hope big time that I did not carry this to my parents as I was sick...

On 3/17/2020 at 1:31 AM, Bartzabel said:

I'm really hoping I wasn't  carrying it to my parents house on Sunday though. My Mum has just got out of hospital after being badly hit by a car, and they are 85 years old.

this!! It is exactly the same here. 

On 3/19/2020 at 7:09 PM, Padmapani said:

working overtime here. pharmacies have to stay open. i come home from work after 10h nonstop trying to keep everyting running and fall asleep. i really hope people will come to their sensen finally start to take this seriously in the coming days. we have 80-year olds arguing about the discounts on aronia berry juice, while others demonstate their dry cough. fuck people.

and fuck european governments. this place is such a mess. i seriously contemplate moving to asia where things just work a lot better when this is over. no matter if it's taiwan, singapore, korea, thailand, malaysia, (even china!)... they all were hit way harder from the intital wave than europe and did an infinitely better job at containing the virus, also doing a lot more testing. over here income from tourism was more important. i was acutally in singapore a few weeks ago and coming back from there feels like travelling to a 3rd world country.

we have no access any protective equipment and those of us who are not feeling well do not get access to tests…

You, sir, are one of the heroes of this time - kudos to you and please keep it up. That's also meant for  @Aspartic

Government-wise you and me are in the same boat anyway, both from Austria :P 

And I cannot stress your second paragraph enough - I am thinking the exact same thing! In fact I WANT to move to Asia after witnessing the ignorance and stupidity taking place around here. This Covid-19 will make us BIG touble and it's unclear whether Europe afterwards will still be around, honestly ... it's not gonna be the same at least, that's for sure.

I am genuinely worried if this country or, say, the EU, can guarantee for my health and safety when I'm getting older ... granted, this is not sure either if I move to Asia, but the current handling of the crisis over there shows me that China is going to extraordinary efforts to stop this virus, which is remarkable to say the least and Europe is way, way behind on measures and mindset.
Okay, the chinese government is very heavy on propaganda and we have to be very careful with the information they give, but having seen videos from "the zone" and what people do ... it's unthinkable here. For example, the little things: in China they realized the most common place to get infected is the elevator in people's own houses - sick people use it, you push the button, that's it, you get sick ... so they put up toothpicks besides the keypads - you take a toothpick, push the elevator button with it and throw the toothpick away. Who's doing that here?!

And why not move to China ... at least you get a lot for your money there -- oh wait, *darnit*, this is gonna change !! --> which brings me to the last sentence: everybody, please consider that the Covid-19 sickness is only the tip of the iceberg, we are right now heading into the beginning of a financial crisis and into an uncertain future 

...and when I really wanna move to Asia, I need to act pretty soon for afterwards I'll be too old to found an existence there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RTP said:

Exactly. I felt sick recently, well actually two weeks ago ... it was a strange kind of sickness, i felt like I had a flu but without the headache ... doctor let me at home for a week, no test was made. Well ... what can you say. But I'm not complaining.

The only people I am genuinely worried about are my parents - they're 79 and both have pretty severe pre-conditions - mom had cancer, dad has a really (really, really) bad heart ... both of them are not gonna make it if they got sick with that new thing.

We are trying our best not to have any contact - I am, however, the only person that can go shopping for them. Whenever I go to them and give them new groceries it's like we are exchanging hot potatoes ... it's all then wiped with a disinfectant cloth (I insisted on that). Guess that's all we can do. 

I really hope big time that I did not carry this to my parents as I was sick..

You, sir, are one of the heroes of this time - kudos to you and please keep it up. That's also meant for  @Aspartic

Government-wise you and me are in the same boat anyway, both from Austria :P 

And I cannot stress your second paragraph enough - I am thinking the exact same thing! In fact I WANT to move to Asia after witnessing the ignorance and stupidity taking place around here. This Covid-19 will make us BIG touble and it's unclear whether Europe afterwards will still be around, honestly ... it's not gonna be the same at least, that's for sure.

I am genuinely worried if this country or, say, the EU, can guarantee for my health and safety when I'm getting older ... granted, this is not sure either if I move to Asia, but the current handling of the crisis over there shows me that China is going to extraordinary efforts to stop this virus, which is remarkable to say the least and Europe is way, way behind on measures and mindset.
Okay, the chinese government is very heavy on propaganda and we have to be very careful with the information they give, but having seen videos from "the zone" and what people do ... it's unthinkable here. For example, the little things: in China they realized the most common place to get infected is the elevator in people's own houses - sick people use it, you push the button, that's it, you get sick ... so they put up toothpicks besides the keypads - you take a toothpick, push the elevator button with it and throw the toothpick away. Who's doing that here?!

And why not move to China ... at least you get a lot for your money there -- oh wait, *darnit*, this is gonna change !! --> which brings me to the last sentence: everybody, please consider that the Covid-19 sickness is only the tip of the iceberg, we are right now heading into the beginning of a financial crisis and into an uncertain future 

...and when I really wanna move to Asia, I need to act pretty soon for afterwards I'll be too old to found an existence there!

it's exactly the same here. only my parents are 10 years younger. i drop everything off before their door and we talk on facetime afterwards.

thanks for agreeing here. when reading the postings at newpapers forums or when talking to people at work it almost seems as if i'm the only one who sees that things are handled a lot better than elsewhere. everyone just seems to rest fine on the idea that we have "one of the best healthcare systems in the world", "we are better prepared than anyone else" and condemn other "it's all china's fault for not containing it sooner" or "the chinese should have warned us earlier", which is all bullshit. we have an excellent healthcare system compared to the u.s. but we are far from the best, we are not prepared at all (shortages everywhere), china could not have contained it (much) earlier, because they didn't know what the cause of the disease was for a long time and they fucking DID warn us earlier but we did absolutly nothing in response. there seems to be an underlying sentiment of "we are better than everyone else and if things go bad it's the others' fault"…

another point about masks. they are commonly worn in asia when people are sick as to not infect others. when we stil had op-masks in the pharmacy and people (mostly not those at special risk) were asking for masks it was always the same conversation. they ask how well a mask protects one. i answer that everyone who feels sick should wear a mask because that is when it's most effective. they always say they don't give a fuck if it protects others they want a mask that protects themselves. i was never very optimistic in this regard, but one month ago i would not have belived the amount of selfishness on our society i see now.

the next financial crises is probably just around the corner. i've heard that aribnb is of course not doing well and that people are selling flats and houses like crazy.
ott says: "everything is acceptable as long as house prices don't crash" ;)

maybe this'll give us an opportunity to follow x-dream's words and create our own society,  create our own happiness. ;) 

Stay strong everybody! The impact this virus has had on the world economy is mind-boggling. The big corona depression. We can only hope that the world gets back on its feet soon enough. I'm optimistic there will come something good out of all of this. More strict screening processes for all travel between countries, seems likely.

I do hope other countries put some pressure on China, so that they change their policies on wildlife trade. 

Today is my first day working at home. Will be doing it all of this week and then might be week-after-week indefinitely after that.

Will be weird

Stay golden everyone

Thinking good thoughts about y'all <3

On 3/23/2020 at 7:31 PM, RTP said:

Having lived in China for a while myself, I'm not sure I'd want to for a longer period. The strong response to the virus comes at the cost of a very authoritarian government and the near-total obedience of the population towards it.