Europe

Bartzabel

Hi all

I'm heading to Europe shortly for a holiday with my wife & little kids for a few weeks and love meeting people. 

We've booked London, Paris, Oslo & Italy (which will likely change). Anyone who's around those parts I'm always keen to say hi. Send me a message to chat if you're keen.

cheers

:)

Feel free to send a message if you came to Vienna. I could probably meet up if I'm not sick (which I just was, that's why I mention it :P ) ...

Actually that's valid to any of you.

Hey, by the way, Italy went into lockdown today so I don't think it's a good idea to go there right now. As far as I have heard, borders will remain open, but you need special permit to travel - and even if you get in, whatcha gonna do in a locked down country anyway...?

When do you plan heading to Europe?

Yeah Italy we need to talk to our travel agent about now. 

we are heading to London on 22nd March, have a week with friend there then head to Paris for 8 days, then to Oslo for the Easter weekend as I'm attending the Inferno Metal Festival. 

we are booked after Oslo for 5 days in Italy, then just 2 night in London before heading home. 

Will look at other options for Italy now, but maybe just back to London and spend more time with out friends there who have accommodation for us which saves $$.

the problem is now will travel insurance cover our cancellations for Italy?

Hi ... well, it was not intended of me to talk so much about Corona, but since I mentioned you to come here initially and feel that I should tell you if that changes:

Breaking news today is that Austria is going to do measures aswell ... involving cancellation of indoor events with more than 100 ppl (I am very curious what's this going to mean for psy parties, raves, concerts...), sights closing down, universities closing ... measures are chaotic at this point, but need to be considered if you plan a trip. 

Italy should be left out of the equation unless you are a disaster tourist.

Things seem to look substantially better in France because of various fundamental differences, so you might have luck there to have a good stay.

But if you give something for an opinion from somebody that Cinos (one of the old ones here) once gave the title "doomsday prophet" - i.e.: me, then I tell you that doing that trip with whole family to an infected zone (and nothing less is Europe going to be at the end of March in my opinion) is maybe not the best idea. I wouldn't even worry so much about infection itself, but rather about secondary effects such as: sights closed, restaurants closed, people scared...

• Like 1

If we don't go we lose about $20,000 in costs because travel insurance won't cover us & with my wife's disability we need quality accommodation so we're gonna go. Italy canceled for sure, probably extend our time in Oslo by a day & then go back for a few extra days in London.  We've got friends in London.

uhhhh that would suck man, I wish you luck that all goes well and that you have a nice trip

Extending the stay in Oslo is a good idea, maybe you can also visit Bergen? It's very nice up there. In April the polar night should be already gone.

At this point if we can get any of our money back we will be very happy. The overreaction by the governments is currently mind boggling. 

their Intentionally  screwing everything over so they can rebuild build the new world in to an Orwellian nightmare.

Of course! We've cancelled everything. We might think about doing it next year if things settle down.  I'm just trying to find a way to make sure we either get our money back or credit for all the flights. 

The worst thing would be to travel now, get sick & out additional strain on another countries health system when the local population needs it. 

• Like 1

Hello, yes I was going to say the same ... you made a really good decision. We will yet have to see how this turns out, I don't know. I hope you can get the money back - at least some of it.

Austria is going to close all non-essential (food & medication) shops on Monday. People are panic buying, I was strolling through empty shelves yesterday - it's crazy.

i hope people will stop panic buying soon (there's only so much food you can store after all). we had a customer record this friday. the whole pharmacy was crowded the whole day (not ideal for slowing the spread of the virus) and even though the medicines are available as usual the distributors could not keep up with shipping out what people wanted to buy. we will stay open all the time, there's absolutely no need to rush now.

on the other hand, i've heard others still rushed the shops and hairdresser (of all things…) today before closure. what part of "stay at home" do people not understand? seriously…

projections right now say we'll run out of intensive care beds in the first week of april. seriously people, stay at home, do a video chat with friends instead of meeting them! also, if you're not meeting people no one fucking cares about when you last visited your hairdresser!

Yeah I had to break up a fist fight between 2 grown men over hand sanitizer at the supermarket this morning. One had a broken nose & the police came.

I got suspicious a few weeks ago & got a few extra packets of toilet paper and tissues, but not much. Just like a months worth instead of a fortnight.

I've shared some with my elderly parents, my Mum was hit by a car walking a fortnight ago and just a me home from hospital. 

Also have stocked some food, just because I have my 5 year old & 7 year old to make sure are cared for.

I am disappointed they are keeping schools open still here, and that my wife is being told to catch the train in to work when she could work from home.

If they get sick, especially my wife who has Cerebral Palsy, I will be very angry. 

is it really that hard to just shut down and stay home for 2 weeks? Let the virus run its course, and then slowly restart.

With all this technology, lots of LEGO & a good vinyl collection my family is fine to lock down. I can also finish my music work without having to do the school runs.

• 2 months later...

So it seems we are slowly opening up again here in Europe ... Austria has shops and restaurants open since 2 weeks ... this weekend the outdoor activities are permitted again ... it's going slightly upwards ... only mass gatherings (parties) are not yet allowed...

There are voices saying that it will get worse again because there will be a second wave ... we won't know it until it's here though ... well, at least people have already done the panic buying...

It's the time of the Corona clusters now ... there are some cases in this and that company ... although I believe you will find cases everywhere the deeper you dig with mass-testing...

It'll never be over till 60%-70% of ALL people in a country have been infected ... either we are already past that (and don't know it) - or it is yet to come...

3 hours ago, RTP said:

t'll never be over till 60%-70% of ALL people in a country have been infected ... either we are already past that (and don't know it) - or it is yet to come...

considering how few deaths we have compared to other countries that waited a longer before acting, i think we're nowhere near 60 or even 10%. also it's not unlikely that immunity will only last for a few months for many people, so even if we were at 70% now we could still be in for a second wave.

• 3 weeks later...