2. Wormhole  07:22    
3. Big Crunch  09:54    
4. Etnica - Microdrive (Hypnoxock Remix)  07:41    
5. Gravitational Isolation  08:49    
6. Heaven Can't Wait  08:58    
7. Doubling Time  07:13    
8. The Choice is Yours  07:20    
9. Mutant Zone  08:01

Victor SolSona from Barcelona a.k.a. Hypnoxock releases his 6th album this month, a very well produced output with enough variety to please the fans of this genre. 

This album has more groove and more funk than usual and the overall production is noticeably stunning. It is on a very solid level musically and above all psychedelic and entertaining, quite subtle at times too. It deserves praise for the variety of ingredients used. The first tracks have very raw 303 lines, reminiscent of the old school sound, and tracks such as #5 Gravitational Isolation and #6 Heaven Can't Wait have signature melodies and a clubbish touch, or should I say similarities to proto-goa at a faster pace. 

If you are interested in the Etnica track remixed, it is nice and clean but very similar to the original. I'll have to select tracks #2 and #7 as the two strongest compositions. Wormhole is twisted, groovy and acidic, it made me wonder how modern Sandman could sound like, in the second half it has a strong goa trance build up. Doubling Time is possibly the most intense track of the album, I would say it sums up how the whole release sounds, psychedelic with many interesting twists, each new sound added has a purpose and fits in perfectly. 

Rating: 8/10.
Listen / Buy: https://suntriprecords.bandcamp.com/album/beyond-the-wormhole

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

^ @Bartzabel "worst review ever" what i mean is that (also on these quarante times) it would be really nice to read actual reviews in this section and not short promotion posts like that..  :) *mod, delete this post. I dont have a review myself, so.. Right back at me :P.

Album sounds good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 8:22 PM, psytones said:

^ @Bartzabel "worst review ever" what i mean is that (also on these quarante times) it would be really nice to read actual reviews in this section and not short promotion posts like that..  :) *mod, delete this post. I dont have a review myself, so.. Right back at me :P.

Album sounds good.

Yeah I got what you meant. It was a mistake on my part. I'll make sure to post more appropriate responses in this section.

On 3/29/2020 at 1:15 AM, Bartzabel said:

Yeah I got what you meant. It was a mistake on my part. I'll make sure to post more appropriate responses in this section.

Who cares? Post what you feel like :) this forum section is for discussions as well, not just in-depth reviews. Without discussions, there isn't really much to engage with on a forum. I like the mix of in-depht reviews, light-reviews, and the interspersed discussions in-between. I'm not sure if I missed something that was edited out, so I get the whole picture of what you guys are discussing. But in my opinion, there is no such thing as good or bad reviews here really. Everyone contributes with their views and ways of expressing themselves. 

I like that, because reading through different reviews, how brief or in-depth they might be, there is always a common thread. And one can thus get a wide selection of impressions. I also tend to think that sometimes, the reviews themselves influence one another. And regarding the album, I'll write something about it when I've given it a proper listen. I just listened briefly to the previews.The artwork for the album is nice. And I'm very curious about the Etnica remix. :)

• Like 2

On 3/17/2020 at 10:22 AM, psytones said:

Look at the older review-sections (until 2002). There are a lot of short comments. And this is ok. Not every post must be an excellent review, i think. Its better many user tell their opinion. :-)

"Beyond the Wormhole" is an solid album. "Wormhole" is a very groovy and funky track and reminds me of M-Run. The melody in the climax at 5:29 is very cool, but the length of the climax is to short. The remix of "Microdive" is fantastic and the best track of the album. Its more a rework than a remix, but it takes the best part of the original and makes it longer and more intense. I mean the build up from 4:56 to 6:26. Pure energy. "Gravitational Isolation" has a really high energy flow, what comes from the good combination of bassline and kick. The synth with the flanger-effect at 1:40 is for me a breeze to chessy. But the upcoming melody at 3:00 is great, very euphoric. I love it. :)  The melody reminds of "One Love" by Electric Universe. Both tracks has the same tonic keynote and work perfect together in a DJ-mix. ;)

• 4 months later...

I'm enjoying this album. Victor Solsona has his own Goa style that could be described as deeper, slower, funky. This gives this album its own identity, something lacking today. He often goes deep and a little slower and less manic than some other contemporary Goa acts. He prefers bigger leads that are not too cluttered with layerism. This is a good thing in my book as it creates more space for the listener and dancer. On the down side, at times the sounds on this album are a bit cliched, and it sure likes its panned swooshes and ripping noises. Worth a listen I think. ~*~

• Like 1