Great Album/VA Artwork

HolyLight

So not to be the total opposite to the other thread, since I think it will be quite limiting to find stuff with great cover art and bad music. Let's focus here on great cover art, irrespective of how the quality of the music is. Although we can of course discuss the music as well.

My first example is this one, and depending on who you ask the music might be great or bad or something in-between.

https://www.discogs.com/SFX-The-Unreleased-Tracks-89-94/release/68966

I never liked any of the tracks on it, as they did sound dated even when it was released. Perhaps it's interesting to hear how their sound developed since then. The artwork on it is an entirely different thing. It looks amazing even to this day with its handdrawn very psychedelic artwork. Funny thing is I didn't even notice that it has the letters SFX camouflaged into the organic looking mess, until just recently. Which basically makes it organic acid graffiti. A friend of a friend had this one as an original poster framed on the wall. Really nice B)

R-68966-1241914052.jpeg.jpg

This one is OK, not mindblowing but also benefitting from the organic handmade quality. Perhaps the slightly anime-influenced style makes it a tad bit on the cheesy side of things. Since I think there has been a lot of anime inspired stuff in full-on etc. So that is definitely overplayed. 

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Lunar-Civilization/release/83307

R-83307-1209452123.jpeg.jpg

This CD though, has a real banger: Wizzy Noise-Shores Of Freedom

Epic track still! 

• Like 2

The shamanisma looks amazing, the dragon tales as well. The letters fits really well with the handdrawn background art.

The infected one is sublime, like some kind of resident evil infection with shrooms. Love the muted color scheme.

The sandman Witchcraft cover is pure psychedelia. Who made that one? Looks like the quality found on blotter art.

The Crossing Mind one looks very artsy and abstract. Kinda neat, I can clearly see that the inspiration must have been Pleiadians-I.F.O. But the Pleiadians one is way cooler, since it has some weird bird-like alien creatures :)

• Like 2

^ the Sandman coverart is an original painting by visionary artist Alex Grey 

Ps. I love this VA's artwork, and tracks. To own the physical is to understand its niceness: https://www.discogs.com/Domino-Moon/release/385478 Actually, the Goagilde VA on KER is kind of inspired by it. Here is the audio: 

https_%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2Fcb%2F91%2F68%2Fcb91689a93bd41612637e6a7c650ef80.jpg

40675346.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting style, very nice colors. Gives me a bit of a retrofuturistic vibe. Quite dreamy/abstract.

Fabián Arturo Jiménez Gally aka Farbo has made some very good album covers over the years, and some not so great as well. I picked out the ones I think holds up best visually, and thus it has nothing to do with the music on the album/compilations. Most of which I haven't heard.

dimension5_transaddendum.jpg

dimension5_transstellar.jpg

R-823381-1506540550-9696.jpeg.jpg

R-4262163-1360916849-7565.jpeg.jpg

vibraspirit_11.23.jpg

vibraspirit_23.11.23.jpg

vibraspirit_23.23.jpg

R-558216-1436638305-8306.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

global sect covers i think need either a nice screen or a large blanket to work well. they look really good in digital form (and presumably even better as deco at a party with uv light). but on a small cd in the shelf it's just a dark sheet with a few lines on it. i guess vinyl would already be better for the artwork than the dvd-size packaging that mystery and terraformer have.

@diaks

i've always loved the d5 covers but these are all amazing.