Your first contact with goa-trance?

HolyLight

I remember mine very vividly. I had a friend at the time who worked briefly, at some kind of compact disc manufacturing or distribution center here in Sweden. So he got a lot of free CD-singles and compilations. Which he distributed among his peers at school. I gladly accepted these new very peculiar looking CD's, the graphics on them was very different and new for me stylewise. Among them was the Hallucinogen-LSD CD-single,  Distance To Goa 3 and Distance To Goa 4. So the year was 1996, and what a great introduction that proved to be to goa-trance.

Since I hadn't heard any goa-trance up until that point, I really got a good taste of what it was at it's zenith. Which I think would be there between 1996/1998 depending on who you ask. After that I purchased Sun Trip - Second Phase in 1996 and Goa Head-Vol 2 in 1997, and was equally impressed. And then ventured into all kinds of albums and compilations.

When was your first exposure to goa-trance? And what album/compilation/CD-single was it?

i think there is already a topic on this somewhere but who cares :)

mine was in 95, was 13 years old and bought "Cyberspace vol 4" without a clue on what it was. Contained some stuff from Bassline Baby and Mindfield for example.

It wasnt until 98 i learned that it was something called Goatrance, and Spiritual Healing Rmx was my intro to that amongs others, basically it was the Goa-Head vol 5 cd on casette tape, and it actually took a few years from that until i learned what the album was. Its so cool to stumble onto something you will love for the rest of your life, just by accident.

i remember the years from 95-98 - i desperately tried to find something similar to the cyberspace cd i had; and bought stuff from the techno shelves and stuff cause i really didnt know where to look :) ended up with a thunderdome cd (that was awful) a rave mission cd (was nice) and a ravermeister cd (was bad) thinking it could be what i was looking for but nope... wasnt.

one day at a summerjob i had back then i had by a chance the sony walkman with me and a guy that was kinda like my supervisor asked what i was listening to; and i showed him and he said" oh, i have this at home this is goa trance" pretty much, and that was the end of my search. he was the one who told me about it and found out much later it was the goa-head vol5 cd

Ooh Goa Head vol 5 that was a real epic bomb! Even the girls at school had that one and loved  Hallucinogen-Gamma Goblins Part 2  :)

The Spiritual Healing remix was amazing as well. We used to play playstation 1 and listen to it.

I really like the collab between Simon Posford and Dick Trevor on Infernal Machine-The Loin Sleeps Tonight.

The Green Nuns track Klunk was funny. Especially on weed. The Shiva Shidapu track was very popular here as well. I guess the goofy playful Nitzho elements worked well with teens at that time.

There was even a commercial on TV for Goa Head 5 here in Sweden, if my memory serves me right.

And The Deltas track was really something new and different. Really cool.

• Like 1

Around a decade after the peak of goa, I discovered it through Karan Gill's Listology article on it, some of which remains here https://web.archive.org/web/20140731185714/http://www.karangill.com/the-best-of-goa-trance---top-artists-albums-and-tracks.html

I'd been led here by following a Discogs trail of psychedelic influences from prog house music (like Cass & Slide). I was trying to find faster, darker and more complex electronic music.

@karan129 had a mix which I downloaded, it started with Voice of Enigma and then went straight into Koxbox - Doktor Mesmer. Within the first 30 seconds of listening to Doktor Mesmer, I was hooked on the genre for life!

• Like 1

Back in the 90s I downloaded some stuff labaled as goa trance, bought some Goa Trance albums see https://www.discogs.com/label/455972-Goa-Trance-2
Later on I noticed that all tracks on those comps were made by the same person...

At that time I was heavily into regular uplifting trance, untill I heard Sky Input. That was the turning point.
Add the first E-Mantra and Artifact303 albums to it, and I was addicted.

I was techno dj in the mid 90's here in Melbourne, heard a lot of Goa being played at the outdoor stage at gigs but never clicked. 

randomly I bought Tantrance 6 in 1998 because of the cover, and fell in love with the sound. 

I've always like the more atonal styles, depends on mood though. Melodic Goa/Psy is much needed when my anxiety is ramping up. 

On 2/29/2020 at 2:41 AM, Bartzabel said:

I was techno dj in the mid 90's here in Melbourne, heard a lot of Goa being played at the outdoor stage at gigs but never clicked. 

randomly I bought Tantrance 6 in 1998 because of the cover, and fell in love with the sound. 

I've always like the more atonal styles, depends on mood though. Melodic Goa/Psy is much needed when my anxiety is ramping up. 

Cool, my favorite Tantrance compilation was Tantrance 5. 

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Tantrance-5-A-Trip-To-Psychedelic-Trance/release/135616

It had a really good selection I thought at the time, with Miranda-Gnochi, Psychaos-Dense Dawn, Hallucinogen-Synthesizzler and Crop Circles-Full Mental Jackpot (Pleiadians Remix) among my favourites. The Shiva Shidapu-India Spirit track was quite popular here, but that one sounds pretty silly today.

my fav tantrance is tantrance 6 (aswell) :) and it was also one of the first cds i had.

sandman - end of the world (one of the best tracks in the world)

cosmosis - moonshine (same)

orion - nazca spider

hallucinogen - spiritual antiseptic

and ofc the crazy lotus omega - lightouse track. but really theres tons of more really great tracks, in fact ill go as far as to say its closing to equal on GoaHead vol 5 ^^ close; anyhow :p i guess its not just the music but really nostalgia and memory since it was the first cds you really absorbed. ofc they are gonna feel "better" than anything else even though anything else might be better... i dont know. cheers:+1:

• 4 weeks later...

First track I heard of Goa trance is "Koxbox - Point of no return" (opening track to their album Forever After). I was like 7ish back then, I was playing around with a cassette recorder trying to tune into various stations and record their broadcasts. I didn't know it was Koxbox back then, much like I didn't know it was MFG or AP, but that was just semantics, I was immediately hooked to the sound even at that age. The other kids thought I was nuts  and I was being teased for liking "drug addict" music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Psychedelic Superbeast said:

image.png.f96de5b36169d34b4ca25cc09448688b.pngimage.png.584726be1dac4a88ba78f785422d2ae7.png

and on Digital: Yen Pox - New Dark Age....heard that they want to remaster it soon :)))))))))))

i am thinking of buying this one. image.png.801f3aa07bf214f0a6885f1ecb8e3187.png

EDIT: wtf...i swear i am not drugged! that stuff belongs to "What music you have huyed today" daaaang. i am back from running...kind of stupid in head :(((

can you admins move it or...just delete it...its ok...god will forgive you...and kiss you on the forehead <3

Druuugs are  baaaad mmmkkaaay? ;)

Astral Projection - Mahadeva on MP3.com during the dial up internet days....early 2000 I think. That was my first contact but it took a while for me to get into Goa/psytrance because at that time I was mostly listening to normal trance like ATB, Darude, etc. Those were the days...nostalgia :wub:

• Like 1

Yes mp3.com brings a lot of nostalgia for me as well. It was a cool new blend with the mix of established artists and independent unsigned stuff. Really the soundcloud or myspace of that era. There was a lot of cool unsigned goa and trance in particular.

• 1 month later...

I first heard Goa in 2005 with Hallucinogen's Twisted, and started listening to The Lone Deranger every day on my bike ride to and from work in 2008. I started listening to a whole lot more albums. But my real love affair with Goa wasn't until 2009 when I turned on Chi-A.D. -- Earth Crossing and spent several hours listening to Book of Eden and Hammerhead, trying to follow the changes from the start to the end. It took me a long time to make it through each track. That's when I decided that Goa was my thing and not psy. Some of the other early artists I started listening to were Pigs in Space, Color Box, MFG, Astral Projection, and soon Filteria. From there on, it was no looking back.

• Like 1

"September 2007, I watched Matrix Reloaded again, the highway scene was on and I remembered I was supposed to search for the artist's other work a long time ago. I finally closed down my DVD player on my computer, opened firefox and searched for it. Didn't take me long to get a hold of Labyrinth and taking a listen."

"Soon after I had done listening this, I needed more. I didn't know where to start looking, and as my friend had told me earlier of Last.fm's software where you put an artist's name and it would give similar results to it, I decided to go that way(The results were like mostly Infected Mushroom, Astrix, 1200 micrograms and other full-on.). And of course that eventually led me to listening Filteria - Sky Input at some point and getting completely hooked. That's when I knew there wasn't going back. This is what I love."

Something I wrote on the Juno Reactor labyrinth thread a decade ago. :p

• Like 1

I liked Uplifting Trance in the 90`s and were a big fan of "Yello" until I heard Paul Oakenfolds "A Voyage into Trance" and the tracks from Infinity Project,Man with no Name,Prana and Hallucinogen lifted me into a new dimension of electronic music.

I will never forget that I listened to this CD dozens of time and tried to get more stuff like that,but it was hard in the mid-nineties to buy any goa releases.Our record stores simply neverer heard of these artists.

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Oakenfold-A-Voyage-Into-Trance/master/57694

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 6:56 PM, BASS-O-MATIC said:

I liked Uplifting Trance in the 90`s and were a big fan of "Yello" until I heard Paul Oakenfolds "A Voyage into Trance" and the tracks from Infinity Project,Man with no Name,Prana and Hallucinogen lifted me into a new dimension of electronic music.

I will never forget that I listened to this CD dozens of time and tried to get more stuff like that,but it was hard in the mid-nineties to buy any goa releases.Our record stores simply neverer heard of these artists.

https://www.discogs.com/Paul-Oakenfold-A-Voyage-Into-Trance/master/57694

Good stuff! And what a perfect introduction to this wonderful genre. :)