Goa Trance with D16 Phoscyon - JaraLuca

• 4 months later...
On 2/7/2020 at 6:58 PM, astralprojection said:

phoscyon is the best one from just hearing it and comparing to the rest, havent yet got it.. but it definetely sounds better than ABL2 which still sounds pretty good. albeit thin.

I HAVE ABL2... plus "Rebirth" but I am really not into programming these things (step sequencer)... is there an easy tutorial for such sequencing ? If possible in German.  I think ABL2 can sound good, just put external effects on it ...but I cannot get cool sequences out of it :( Want to try some ACID sounds even if only for 1 track. A shame that this section here in the forum seems quite quiet except the promo posters.

Compared to the original 303, I can also confirm that this is the closest you can get in software today (of the plugins I've tried so far). AudioRealism sounds OK, but not particularly faithful to the original. The Phoscyon has an extended feature set as well, which makes it way more versatile. It basically comes with some of those features previously found on the physical 303 mods. The onboard distortion is god-tier as well, replicates very well the sound of a TB-303 overgained via either a boss bx series mixer, boss pedal, or perhaps a mackie 8-bus desk.

22 hours ago, Multi-Media said:

I HAVE ABL2... plus "Rebirth" but I am really not into programming these things (step sequencer)... is there an easy tutorial for such sequencing ? If possible in German.  I think ABL2 can sound good, just put external effects on it ...but I cannot get cool sequences out of it :( Want to try some ACID sounds even if only for 1 track. A shame that this section here in the forum seems quite quiet except the promo posters.

Creating sequences on abl2 is easy though, I usually start with 1 note on every note of the 16 notes. (basically an arpeggio) Go up a 3rd and 5th here and there, enable slide on a few notes, add a 1/8d delay and you've got a goa acid sequence. Yeah abl2 sounds good but not as good as phoscyon. There's something missing aswell as it sounding slightly more "software like" than phoscyon. But I wouldn't say abl2 is unusable it's far from that! But yeah start with enabling every single note of the 16 notes avaliable, from there it's quite easy to alternate the notes aswell silence a note here and there. Don't forget the delay though. The delay is just as important as the sequence cause it is part of it. 

Rebirth is great stuff but in today's standards it lacks alot of punch and impact and sounds very small and thin. 

• Like 1

@astralprojection

Thank you very much Herr Astral from Sweden:)

I agree with you people, that Phosycon sounds better, but I have this ABL2 in working condition on my old setup, so will go with it. It does not really sound great yes.. the delay yup I realize that. I had Rebirth 11-12 years or so ago and made some stuff with it saved as wave and imported to Logic. But the 2-3 "acid" songs gone missing. I discovered there is a download for Rebirth nowadays - it is now public domain, tried it and it works (stand alone, no VST)- Also yes a bit thin and outdated these days.

Gonna add an example of how the phoscyon can sound in a goa context, as I'm doing a little pattern now on it for the AP Lead thread.

• 2 months later...