Lost my attention / interest to modern goa trance

Microdelic

Yeah most modern pay trance does nothing for me. To be honest my last real interest in the sound was the minimal & early Scandinavian prog style, I even made some here in Australia around the turn of the century and played gigs. 

After a formula started being required I left. Zenon still gets me purely from a production point of view, and Iboga Tech label I find quite good especially the latest compilation by Alex Boshke.

production wise I have no interest in Goa or Psy as experimentation is limited. I prefer to make my techno & IDM stuff performing live with Eurorack. No barriers, no restrictions. 

On 2/17/2020 at 9:10 AM, Imba said:

My latest release 'Imba - Liberation EP' was released 2 and half months ago, to be exact 73 days and yet not a single review on it. How and why? Not that it's most important thing to artist but to most of us it has value. We came here because we value some thing here and some words can inspire us to keep doing it. I would really love to read some words from some respected members in scene, good or bad but I would love just to discuss and see.

I can empathize with this sentiment but there is a danger in saying what you say and putting it out there. Like a relationship where one person says they would like more praise for the things they do. You never know if the future praise is due to general admiration or just them trying to make you happy. You risk losing genuineness. 

But I empathise all the same, as a pseudo reviewer i'm pretty used to my reviews getting low - 0 engagement. Look at the Goa Gilde Review, that motherfucker took to 2 weeks, complete with 4 characters, an introductory gif, links, 2 commercial breaks and a review x 3 of each track. And guess what 317 views! Are you joking, 317!.

But you complain about stuff like that and before you know it you either sound like 'I'm a baby that needs validation', or you get more attention but never know if it's just people trying to coax your ego. 

For me it's no problem, I wriote review cause i need something to do when i listen to a new album, it's why they are mostly positive, first time listening + sparking up a big fat boy is a wonderful thing. I do it for me. FOR ME!

All the same, I wish you artists had more engagement and attention. You deserve it, and like you said it is so easy for us to give to you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tsotsi said:

For me it's no problem, I wriote review cause i need something to do when i listen to a new album, it's why they are mostly positive, first time listening + sparking up a big fat boy is a wonderful thing. I do it for me. FOR ME!

Same as for me, I've noticed that it really enhances the listening experience to write a review, since it forces you to listen more carefully, and repeat certain sections. So it really opens up the music in a new way. Like putting the music under a microscope, and it more often than not sends you on some explorations, to either compare with other music or do some research on discogs and what not. So it really broadens your horizon. And hopefully as a consequence, can be of use and interesting to the reader of the review in question. And I do believe that it can open some paths and specific interests in music which you perhaps wouldn't have discovered while listening more briefly to the music.

So in summary, reviewing music is an analytical process, very useful for contrasting, reflecting and systematizing your musical interest. A means by which you can greatly improve your memory capacity, language and writing skills. And I agree, reviews shouldn't be forced, They should always be the result of a genuine interest and fascination with the music. Of course if you work as a journalist or get paid to do reviews, that's a completely different story. :D This of course opens up for some logical bias, since most people will review music they like. It's harder to dedicate a lot of time listening to some music you perhaps don't like as much. On the whole I think it is mitigated somewhat, by a forum having lots of different reviewers with differing preferences. I myself for example like the challenge of reviewing music, others might not care about. To put a spotlight on music I think deserves it. Of course it can be super interesting as well, to listen to bad music from an artist who has previously made great music. To see what went wrong and compare to their best works. There are multiple ways to approach both good and bad music. In fact I think the most entertaining reviews, sometimes are those that reviews horribly bad albums. :P

For some reason I'm still in love with this music and I see a positive evolution... more and more promos we are getting from Suntrip are "different". You must have noticed in our releases lately. For example the Hypnoxock we just released is clearly more modern, funky on the edge of even psy trance at some points. The Clementz we will release tomorrow is straight 90s. We are working on a melodic forest compilation, and e have guys from the 90s making 1 more goa track for us... most of them do use some modern elements tho... :) I really feel there is room again for experimentation, and this is good! Lets go :D 

• Like 2

One factor is, that many people have lost connection to themselves and people around them. All our great values, like love and honesty for example, have already long time ago been utilized and thoroughly raided by the capitalistic system. Nothing seems to be sacred. Life feels shallow and we seem to have incredible haste as a civilization to go forward. I do enjoy the very concept of progress yet the question remains, at what cost? One of the very goals of our lives should be happiness and most of us do seem to favor a bit more relaxed pace to achieve that.

If the society at large needs a bandit then its certain to show on festivals/music culture too. Hippies wearing expensive clothes to look like beggars taking uppers and downers to listen music that's well produced but soulless as hell. I've seen it many times, been a part of it too so I'd know. It's no surprise many people left the scene. It can be difficult to witness and accept what people do to themselves on these festivals.

And to talk about the topic more directly - yes I agree most modern Goa trance is quite shit indeed! It's a shame because, when looking things from a larger perspective, melodies can be a fun and vital part of psychedelic music. I always thought of Goa trance as the genre with most potential to it. And nothing really has changed my view. We can identify the problem (lol) but there's no one really to blame is there? I kinda saw this 'problem without a solution' situation years ago that's what motivated me to start composing music myself.  But this situation might change in the future I want to remain optimistic (a little anyway). It will sound good again when the times change for the better.