Lost my attention / interest to modern goa trance

Microdelic

2013 was the last year when I really enjoyed new school Goa trance, it consisted mostly of 2012 year releases. So for me the last year of solid and original produced new school Goa trance was in 2012. after that something happened. same for new and old artists of modern Goa. the old artists lost their creativity in my taste and their new music wasn't that special as their previous works (such as: Filteria, Goasia, E-Mantra,) - all of these albums after 2013 was a total disaster, and the new growing artists just did copy-past from the others ... many cheesy sounds and same ideas that wasn't original .
The years 2006-2012 was the best years of new school Goa, sometimes it felt that this is my genre of all time. but sadly I lost it between new styles of music I discovered around that time such as Downtempo / Psychill etc...

also the last new school goa cd's I bought was "Space of power" from global sect and Ra - Earthcall from Suntrip. so between 2012-2016 i bought only 1 modern goa cd...

Today if I listen goa, which is 20min max per week, I prefer to listen to retro goa of 90's - early 2000 and modern goa of 2006-2012.

All the new releases of last years just sounds terrible for me. but I respect all the hard work of all the artists and labels to keep the goa music alive. I know that many people enjoy it and this is very important.

Just shared my thoughts here.

• Thanks 1

I love these chats.

Psychill / Downtempo are my 2nd choice for music, but i like to boost my pulse when I listen to New School Goa.

I hear people compare New School to old school all the time and really don't hear it. It might be because i missed the 90's and the first wave of new school. But even when I dig through old albums I don't find myself connecting any dots. I see this as a huge benefit.

To me this is just what the genre is about, Crazy bright melodies that dance around one another aren't owned by AP and insane alien language leads aren't owned by Pleiadians (Not that any one is making that argument). So when I hear something like Median Project I don't also hear Astral Projection. Maybe after 15 + years of listening I will have had enough (hopefully not), If you look at it this way, the BPM is always going to be in the same ballpark, the sounds of 303's & 604's will always be in the same ballpark, The overall 'Vibe' of a track is not going to stray to far for each style of Goa. It only makes sense that eventually the formula loses its magik.

I also hear all the new artists on the scene get better and better and that helps keep my attention, not many 2nd or 3rd releases in the last few years have disappointed me.

@Microdelic I agree. The first wave of new school goa, to me felt really inspired. It was charming despite not always beeing of the highest production standards.

I think overall the optimism in the world at the time was different. Or perhaps we are just older lol. But most likely a bit of both. It was another era.

Hopefully there will come another inspired wave soon. I think that during these dark times, the people more than ever need to escape into something positive.

And I think this genre of music has great potential, to unite people from different countries.

I’ve personally resorted to going back in time, to discover goa that I missed out on before. Mostly remasters of classics, and the occasional new school gem. And these gems are almost exclusively from within the time-span you mentioned. 2004/2009ish for me.

After that I haven’t heard much stuff with a ”wow-effect”.

It’s kind of sad really, seeing this forum which used to be a nexus for goa trance, with many participating forum members.

So where is everybody gathering online nowadays? Reddit? Facebook? Or did everybody just jump on the techno-bandwagon? :P

Perhaps this forum needs to move on to the facebook platform?

I see a lot of activity atleast in the psy party groups on facebook here in Sweden. Even if a trend seems to be that these venues play both psy and techno.

17 minutes ago, Manuser said:

To each their own, I find the 2006-2012 era vastly inferior to 2013-2019. Space Of Power is the definition of meh in my book :unsure::D

Yea i feel that, Terraformer was such an advancement in skill and quality. Impressive too since Global Sect had trouble finding cosmic stuff for Space Of Power. They might have helped kick off the scene.

2019 has been my favourite year so far. I think the 2006-12 scene had a few classic albums that will stay on a lot of favorite lists for a long time, but outside of that list I say there is more quality from the last 7 years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tsotsi said:

the sounds of 303's & 604's

I know TB303 but what is that synth, 604? :D

I think by the first half of 2010's some kind of "newschool goa formula" had been developed, to which lot of new artists are now trying to stick. This leads to a lot of homogenous, unremarkable tracks. Nevertheless, most of my favourite goa tracks have been released in the last decade, artists like Skarma, Psy-H Project, Mindsphere, some stuff by Ephedra, Median Project, Alienapia, Ra etc. They do often stick to the same formula, but somehow they still make it work.

Also for the genre which mainly relies on melodies, the melodies/musical structure in many newschool stuff are not very good to my taste. Some tracks sound to me like the producer  thought something like "well, let me just add as many notes and layers as my PC can handle".  Just random mess of melodic lines that lead nowhere, may have wrong notes, etc.

Overall I like what Global Sect is doing, they try to add more meaning to the whole thing, release CDs, flouro artwork, even  write poems. It may look a bit over the top (especially the poems) but at least they try to make newschool goa look like some movement or subculture on its own. Also their selection of tracks usually fits my taste more than other labels.

1 hour ago, Tsotsi said:

Yea i feel that, Terraformer was such an advancement in skill and quality. Impressive too since Global Sect had trouble finding cosmic stuff for Space Of Power. They might have helped kick off the scene.

2019 has been my favourite year so far. I think the 2006-12 scene had a few classic albums that will stay on a lot of favorite lists for a long time, but outside of that list I say there is more quality from the last 7 years.

In 2006-2012 I thought many releases sounded very similar, we had more variety (IMO) from 2014-2015 period till now. @Microdelic To be constructive, below some releases to check out:

JIS - Illusions of Reality
Omnivox - Fragments of Evolution
Proxeeus: anything from him but you cannot go wrong with his 2018 album Non-Euclidean Geometry
Ultimate Xperience - Lazarus Rising
Imba - First Encounter
Morphic Resonance - The City Of Moons
Crossing Mind - Beyond Duality
Artha - Dream Telepathy
JaraLuca - Fata Morgana
JaraLuca - Prologue
Hypnoxock - Eurythmia
K.O.B. - Identity Mash
GoaTree - Black Star Of The Death 
Morphic Resonance - Perplexity
Veasna - 5ynergy
Median Project - Constellation (not a fan but if you like 2006-2012 then you will love it)
Battle of the Future Buddhas - The Light Behind The Sun
Xamanist - Out of Time
Psylent Buddhi - Secrets of the Atom
Sky technology – Rainbow Spirit
Sykespico - Perspective
Toxeed - Mysterious
VA - Dimensional Gateway Vol. 5
VA - Goa Trance Legacy Vol. 3
VA - 604 Syndroms (just for the Proxeeus track :))

• Like 1

You just expressed my thoughts about this genere as a whole, goa psy call it what ever, very few artists now days makes special music.

I Did have fun listening to the the cross from true early goa trance to a more progressive/minimalist/techno sound untill it became too soft and fluffy.

and i had a blast when things turned dark with artist like parasense, para halu, and the rise of what people call dark psy, untill it became boring hi tech or

way to mossy and boring "forest" psy.

I Did doubt new school goa when it came along, did enjoy a few albums down the line, artifakt 303 especially, and Morphic Resonance, untill

it became a copy pasta of some sort, and dont even get me talking about what i think about Morphic's last album compared to his first album.

Unreleased goa trance was great untill we started getting a bagillion retro proto goa boring releases or old artists who werent active for 20 years

releasing stuff that should have stayed buried

Yikes, kind of morbid...just hang in there :)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

For me, the absolute best kind of old school re-release. Are those that make a previously sought after rare vinyl/CD available again, and with a fresh audio remastering. That to me is heaven-sent.

And also the DAT-stuff that all the connected dj’s of the time shared and played a lot. Stuff that was really good and made heads spin back in the day. 

I’m very grateful for these rare kind of releases that Dat Records and Suntrip Records made available.

For example Crop Circles-Tetratedron and Dimension 5 stuff. And of course Pleiadians.

And also for putting the spotlight on less known ”new school” artists via compilations. One good example for me was Ethereal. Without the Pyramidal Transcendence and Opus Iridium compilations. I think that type of artist/group would have most likely passed under my radar. 

Thanks for your opinions guys, was really nice to read it!

well I think there are several factors for my current state about modern Goa trance, the main factor of course is about myself and my musical taste development.

I remember when I felt in love with modern Goa (was already in love with the retro a few years) I was really hyped by it! the main artists at that time was very original and different from each other, and most important memorable and psychedelic!. I could feel the hard work of each artist because of the uniqueness of their own style. I was inspired ! the year 2013 was a pick year for me with modern goa, because I made a festival season in Europe and was lucky to hear some of them in live and many of my dreams came true.

But somehow after that I lost it in one wave, the familiar artists overworked themselves and the magic gone and I couldn't continue the journey with the new artists mainly because they were not challenging for me and not original. so i decided to take a pause in hope that someone will amaze me again while I discovering other genres of psychedelic music but the hope didn't arrive. so i let my musical inspiration to the Psychil and downtempo music which I listen till this day and into it like I was with modern Goa before.

I don't wanna think that the factor of age is something affected on it. I think my relationship with modern goa have changed mainly because of my musical taste.
It's something natural and I need to accept it. like many things in life.
: )

My connection with any/all music ebbs and flows.
I can get into streams wherein I only listen to audio books or podcasts and every single piece of music I put on, I have to change or stop in a minute. My brain just doesn't click.

Then I get into patterns of a variety of music n tempos. Other times I can't get enough 303s and want all of the acid. Some sprints will be everything!

I used to get weirded out by this. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? DO I NOT FEEL THE SPIRIT OF GOA ANYMORE? lololololololol
I learned to stop overthinking and worrying and accepted who I am for me.

I do notice that, as I've consumed SOOOOOOOOOOOO much music in my life, and now there is such a bounty of tracks being released, it takes a certain level of crate digging to find new music that moves me. I think this slows down my purchases and collection growth, as I just don't have the time/energy to do the digging; but that's okay.

I came into this music in the mid-90s when I was 16 and going through puberty and coming into consciousness. It was the soundtrack and backing pulse to so many of my life's growth moments and periods of change. The music began to branch into new sub-genres and new collectives formed. There is zero way for me to re-experience or recapture the magic that once was, but that's like wanting to recapture your virginity.

Appreciate the gems you find, move on from the busted rocks, and the world will be right...

Six-oh-4-Life

• Like 1

My favorite time with modern Goatrance was 2004-2009. The number of releases was manageable and every release was emotionally a hit. :-)

Then the sound and of course my taste chanced after 2009. Still i listened to 100% Goatrance (with some exception) at this time, but I judged more differently about the music. Not all wasnt a hit anymore.

And the last two years my attention for techno and retro trance grows.Techno become more melodic and faster again, and i like the varity of sounds and styles in techno. This is what i am missing in modern Goatrance today. Alot sounds the same. Same sounddesign, same melodies. Over and over again.

I do not lost my interest in goatrance. I prelisten most of the new releases. But only buyed one release of neogoa last year, and some separate tracks. I looking forward to the new releases of Hypnoxock, M-Run, Filteria and Dragon Twins. :-)

Heh, "this old chestnut". :)

I have many thoughts regarding the matter and I don't know how to turn them into a coherent story so I'll just list some random points:

1) First, there is the principle called Sturgeon's Law, often summarised as "ninety percent of everything is crap". I won't start dissecting the full details of Sturgeon's original statement nor its later interpretations. Anyway, I think the principle essentially says that when there are quality differences and personal preferences, only so many pieces can be "very good" or "like things should be". There are boatloads of music. Even that "very good" 10% (or a smaller fraction) can be so huge that our ears cannot take any more. Therefore we can pick the best, use it as the measuring stick, and rule the rest as "crap", even though in reality the "normal" level is somewhere within that 90% and we're just getting really picky.

2) The corpus of released goa/psy has been accumulating for decades. That makes things even worse regarding the "top 10 versus the rest" comparison. A lot of totally half-arsed stuff from the earlier decades has already been forgot for good. More or less consciously, we end up comparing the very best of those past years to the average level of recent releases. That comparison cannot end well.

3) Also, after thousands of full releases, it's getting more and more difficult to produce something truly original that we still categorise as goa. Either the release "sounds like X, Y and Z" or it doesn't quite fit into the genre. Imagine a hazy blob on the genre map that we label as goa. It consists of dots, which are releases. When the amount of dots increases, it's getting difficult to find any totally blank regions among the existing stuff. You end up either close to something that already exists or too far away from the centre.

4) There is also the phenomenon called sophomore slump. It's quite generic in nature, but it can be understood as "the second attempt being worse". In personal effort like producing music, it can mean that the first try manages to capture the raw power of what you really want to express. Then you kind of run out of steam. Even though the next one may be more polished, it cannot reach the same level of inspiration and originality. Another way to view it is that if you, as a listener, fall deeply in love with some specific approach, it's just inevitable that anything that differs from it has a high chance of being less appealing simply because it doesn't hit that sweet spot. But repeating the same-ish formula would feel like copy-paste or repetition so you cannot really win there. Coming up with something fresh and appealing is possible but really hard. "Easier said than done." And the artists out there cannot really read your deepest desires, nor are they under any obligation to fulfill them. If you're getting picky, it's your task to do the "crate digging" to find your personal gems, even though it may be a tedious task.

5) Also, nobody here is getting younger. There's just something special about the age when you first discover awesome music, visit your first parties and festivals, get drunk/high/laid and so on. As Constrictor put it, you cannot "recapture the magic that once was". When you grow older, you start to observe plenty of recurring patterns - things that get re-invented every ten years or whatever. Each iteration may be slightly different, but it cannot have the same impact as the first encounter with the subject. Just accept the fact that you're getting old and hard to impress, but every day someone else out there is discovering this genre for the first time and thinks that everything is awesome. Same music, different view. :)

I'm definitely getting old and drowned under other commitments. I cannot do the same amount of crate digging as I used to. But I do remember that already back then when I had the time and energy, it was common to load 500 tracks to a preview playlist and ultimately pick just one or two of those as keepers. More than 90% was "crap", nothing new there. If you cannot do those 500 track marathons any more and you've already found enough good stuff to last a lifetime, just cherish those, but don't get too bitter about modern times. I still do discover very good stuff, occasionally. Most releases cannot meet the crazy expectations, but someone out there still enjoys them so they deserve to exist.

Nice recommendations by Manuser, by the way. I've been blasting Proxeeus, for example, at work several times like it was 1995. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I kinda feel the same way although I was never a huge fan of modern goa.

Old school Goa is by far my favourite music ever, but modern goa always felt mostly flat and uninteresting. I complained for years that modern goa is too floaty and morning-ish and this is why I will disagree with you that the 2006-2012 period was great. I really think that lately Goa is better because some artists start to put the psy in goa again, Morphic Resonance of course being the king of all.

Once again I will list my major problems with modern Goa.

1. Many layers that blend together, but never lead to anything interesting. E-Mantra is the perfect example of it and this is why I never liked his music that much.

2. Unmemorable melodies that just...exist.

3. All tracks of an album sound the same. It's like variations of one track.

4. And the biggest one: Modern Goa is what old school Goa was if you removed the psy from it. You can name hundreds of artists that sound like Astral Projection, Dimension 5 or Etnica, but how many that sound like Sandman, Tim Schuldt or Slide?

Having said that I haven't keep touch with modern Goa that much, so maybe I'm missing those artists. So I would really like you to recommend me some darker, psytrancier, more cyber modern Goa like Morphic Resonance.

My opinion is it’s mainly the “appeal to past” or “appeal to tradition” fallacy which makes people say what is older is better. The new music coming out to me is just as good as it was. I think because it’s produced with modern equipment it lacks the nostalgia factor of a grungier production sound maybe. It’s like the people who yearn for vinyl and don’t like cd’s.

To me the only thing missing is maybe more of the Gangguru - Be Your Own Guru, Kuru & Charm - Japanese Vibrations, Battle of the Future Buddhas style where it’s lower tempo and more subdued. 

Some uptempo style songs can sound generic and machine-like, but, like anything, those are just the songs that didn’t work out as well. 95% of it is just as good as predecessors. I don’t know how anyone can listen to E-Mantra, Proxeeus, Morphic Resonance, Filteria, Jaraluca, etc etc and not say it’s just as good as the 90s music.

Then there is Ufomatka, Goa Luni, Katedra, The Maniac, Tranquillity Base Project who are doing somewhat different thing.

In my opinion the music is just as good, and there’s a tendency to jump to the judgement that because the 90s music is older, it has to better.

On 2/8/2020 at 5:46 PM, the goa constrictor said:

I came into this music in the mid-90s when I was 16 and going through puberty and coming into consciousness. It was the soundtrack and backing pulse to so many of my life's growth moments and periods of change. The music began to branch into new sub-genres and new collectives formed. There is zero way for me to re-experience or recapture the magic that once was, but that's like wanting to recapture your virginity.

It's like me talking

On 2/9/2020 at 2:46 AM, the goa constrictor said:

I learned to stop overthinking and worrying and accepted who I am for me.

can't this also apply to goa?

we can learn to stop overthinking and worrying and accept goa for what it is. there's something for everyone. you either get it or you don't.

some times a song will make me queasy, other times that same song will hit just the right spot. 

generally the best way for me to enjoy goa is loud enough that it drowns out my thoughts... once i reach that state of zen, it's easy to get lost in the silence.

isn't this what it's all about? .... isn't this where we want to be? "naked, singing in the rainforest, stoned, and exalted. one with the souls of the ancestors. one with the Gaian spirit of the planet"

no other music does this for me... 

(though goa/psy probably only makes up about 30% of my listening these days... different tools for different jobs eh)

11 hours ago, gfp1 said:

can't this also apply to goa?

we can learn to stop overthinking and worrying and accept goa for what it is. there's something for everyone. you either get it or you don't.

some times a song will make me queasy, other times that same song will hit just the right spot.

100%

I really appreciate diverse line-ups of music which allow me time to sleep and eat. Time to socialize and read in addition to the time to dance and find transcendence... :)

Lost my attention in modern Goa Trance and im speaking from producers perspective... and it's gonna be long but worth of read imo.

Today Goa is one of most limited Trance styles, even more than that Offbeat Prog most of us can't stand. There are so much rules these days which you have to follow just to get released, to play somewhere? Even worse. Sometimes I wonder if we as producers even have a freedom to do what we like or think we do and that people will actually support that.

Expectations and personal tastes of few will eventualy kill Goa scene, not 'bad' producers themselves. We are small scene struggling to survive but all we do is bitching around and killing wish of new or producers that already gave a lot on scene. Those that we still praise from 90s, well 99% of them don't give a thing for last 20 years and didn't contribute to scene at all while you have new guys doing and putting everything they can so this scene could go on and so they could really enjoy in life as an artists and all fun it brings.

If you are not like Etnica, you sucks, If you are not like Tim Schuldt its too boring, it's not dark enough. If you have modern bassline you are Fullon. It's not 90s Goa ripoff, well it sucks. You see problem now?

Every single style in Psychedelic Trance genre have been developing since it's beggining, every couple of years style changed itself and most of them for better. And people there actually accept that because they understand 2005 Full on is 15 years old and it was good for that period, now is different and good for today. Progressive from early 00s was also good, but Ace Ventura is killing it now and killing it big for 2020 and people fucking love that. Remember Twisted System back in 2004? Fucking best Twilight ever. Well Ajja is king now sorry. Goa trance, 95 MWNN and Etnica, 2005 crazy Filipe Santos, 2010 Filteria, today... who knows?

Every music was good for its period, some survived for 20-30 years, some not. But everyone moved on, new music, new generations, everyones having fun big time, parties and festivals bigger than ever, more music than ever for each and everyone but not for us Goa people. To us nothing is ever good enough specialy when you don't want to ripoff music from 25 years ago doing over and over same things, we just want same music, same style, same group of artist playing here and there.

As an artist you are forced to do what others (label, promoters, scene?) want just to get released and get some attention from people so you can feel welcome on scene. So you make what they want which is maybe musicaly better but technicaly it's crap and everyone knows it but it's ok because it sounds like 90s. Maybe you got lucky to get booked on them few Goa Trance festivals and play for a bit bigger crowd so you get bigger and better promotion. Then you want more and more, why not to play for even more and even more often but oh wait you can't.

Nobody want too book you, all promoters booked you already, so you are not interesting to them anymore, lets try others but nobody ever fucking heard of you. You would like to play on Boom or Ozora, all of us want but wait they never heard of you because marketing in Goa scene is one worse ever because they are not daring to invest at least 50euros in their digital promotions of your releases for which you are obviously not payed enough or not payed at all. Second thing, remember that you sounds like 90s, technicaly/production wise it's crap so is your music to 99% people out there because you couldn't use damn boring 'fullon bassline' or 'fullon kick' and now your music sounds ears bleeding on big systems and who da fuck want to put this guy on stage in front of 50000 people? I personaly would never, only if he doesn't brings me tons of money.

50000 people won't hear Goa Trance just that few days, where are tons of other big parties and festivals? If labels and agencies know what people really want today, why they don't force artists corectly and invest in them? You know that 50k on artist pages means a lot to get booking? Make his artist page on facebook get 50k likes! People like fancy produced videos of artists playing, doing interviews or studio sessions? You are fucking manager, so fucking make that happen! Is it really that hard?

People on dancefloor love modern sound, so fucking force your artists to have production quality of Astrix instead of forcing them to boycott fucking EQ in their projects. And last thing but most important we forget if we want to survive is because we don't know how to sell product (read music). Literally we are worst there. You release something but 90% of scene don't have a clue that release is out. Are we doing business because this artist-label-parties-scene stuff is business after all, or we just satisfing our personal taste and personal frustrations?

Are we as people, giving enough and fucking DECENT support to guys doing this music? Hell no!  Even worse is that their damn labels don't give them decent support, just opportunity to get more money or promotion for their own name.

I am here with you for 11 full years, 2500 posts, active for so many years. Meet some of you and become good friends in real life. You know my alter ego but some of you know me as a person. We have some history here right? Let me take a personal example so I don't target any other artist...

My latest release 'Imba - Liberation EP' was released 2 and half months ago, to be exact 73 days and yet not a single review on it. How and why? Not that it's most important thing to artist but to most of us it has value. We came here because we value some thing here and some words can inspire us to keep doing it. I would really love to read some words from some respected members in scene, good or bad but I would love just to discuss and see.

- Is it possible that nobody heard it yet for 73 days? Hard to believe that.

- Is it possible that nobody could spare 10-20 mins to write it for 73 days? Hard to believe that.

- Is it really that terrible that nobody wan't even to think about it? Even harded to believe that not because is mine but because I saw/heard it on dancefloor.

Even in promo post only 2 people left some comment...

This example is just one small thing of many, not most essential for survival of Goa music but to some people could mean a lot.

How often you sent supportive msg to artist, new or older just to thank him and make him feel right and happy for doing this? 

How often have you shared artists music or party videos on your social media just as support?

I haven't recieved msg here in ages and just simple Thank You would mean a lot to me or someone...

Artist is not producing music just for themselves, not this type of music as you can't live from it. If they don't feel connected with people they will stop, one by one. I asked myself many times why? Yeah I am enjoying, I love this music and love the lifestyle, traveling, playing and fun but for who?

Morphic Resonance who is very much loved here or in scene generaly, who gets lots of attention...  got same questions on our last meeting. Many guys does...

And here we are back to beggining, the people for whom we are doing all of this. First of all is: can you say that you as listener/party goer/Goa Trance lover doing enough for Goa Trance so it can survive and be good? Are we artists only guilty because scene is like this and you lost attention?

We are too lazy to comment, talk, support someone which takes just couple of minutes but we are always ready to bitch artist who lost months or even years on some release just because he is not Etnica and he is not 90s. This is not 'Mom got me a toy I didn't want', it's far more important than personal expectations and taste. If you want scene to survive ofcourse...

I didn't want to offend anyone with this post and I hope nobody found offended. Just pointing some main problems and I hope that you will think about...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...