Psysex-2020

HolyLight

So Psysex has released a new album. Being a huge fan of their Expressions Of Rage album, which I think was a defining psychedelic trance album in 1999. I'm always curious to hear what Psysex might bring to the table. I'm not sure who did what in the studio during their Expressions Of Rage era, but perhaps Yoni Oshrat's ideas, was integral to the unique sound of the early output from Psysex.

I will not go into any deeper details regarding the tracks yet, as they didn't pull me in. On a very first brief listening/skipping through the tracks. It sounds more like dark-psy? The production is very crisp though, who knows it might grow on me after a couple of more focused listening session.

I do like the album cover, it continues the good twisted humor, which was very typical for the artwork on some of their previous albums. It features the late Albert Hofmann, browsing through the latest psy-trance vinyls. With his famous bicycle lying outside. There appears to be some funky acid graffiti on a wall. And a UFO-fleet beaming up or down some crew members. Perhaps they heard the news of the new album release, and decided to pay a visit to planet earth.

Or perhaps they came and dropped the new album off :D 

*edit* now listening more focused. The track Light Code is reminiscent of the style on Expressions Of Rage, but darker. The bassline is groovy and playful in that track, but there's also some tracks with dark-psyish basslines. Those were not as good for my taste.

R-14622462-1578354940-7273.jpeg-2.jpg

• 1 month later...

It's a good album, in the same style as Mind Penetration but better and more playful, some tracks are slower on the dark progressive side and most tracks are quite fast, dark psychedelic trance similar to UK style but not overly aggressive. Track #4 has a Union Jack-like melody :-) Track #5 has a unusual sequence with the tempo accelerating. Although a bit too long, it's a very well made and clean album, easy to listen and also good for the dancefloor. 

Full release on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psxPbli8PdI 

00:00   - 1. The Beginning of the Last Cycle of Time  (Feat Doctor Goblin) 
01:21   - 2. Analog Celebration (Feat Gorovich)
11:18   - 3. Light Code (Feat Dekel)
20:47   - 4. 2020 
32:29   - 5. Blasting Carrots (Feat Seggae)
41:58   - 6. Little Green Men (Album Mix) (Feat Postrauma)
54:58   - 7. Play The Drum (Album Mix) (Feat Illumination)
1:05:36  - 8. The Brown Noise
1:13:56  - 9. The Last Cycle of Time (Feat Doctor Goblin) 
1:20:22  - 10. Power of The Universe (Album Edit) (Feat Arara)
1:29:22  - 11. Source of Psy (Bonus Track) (Feat Divine Source)
1:40:02  - 12. New Beat (Bonus Track) (Doctor Goblin & Symbolico)

Yes this album has a lot of different styles. I read on Psysex facebook account about this album, that it was a celebration of the Psysex project beeing active for 20 years. Which is reflected in the different styles on this album. 

Which is great, it’s like a best of Psysex stylewise, with a little something for everybody. Within the psy realm that is. Don’t expect classic goa trance or something. :) I really like Light Code, as that track captures the essence of what I liked from the Expressions Of Rage album. But with the latest tricks from Psysex 2019 studio.

I think Astral Projection should make something like this, a tribute to their collected output. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2020 at 11:10 AM, Diaks said:

Yes this album has a lot of different styles. I read on Psysex facebook account about this album, that it was a celebration of the Psysex project beeing active for 20 years. Which is reflected in the different styles on this album. 

Which is great, it’s like a best of Psysex stylewise, with a little something for everybody. Within the psy realm that is. Don’t expect classic goa trance or something. :) I really like Light Code, as that track captures the essence of what I liked from the Expressions Of Rage album. But with the latest tricks from Psysex 2019 studio.

I think Astral Projection should make something like this, a tribute to their collected output. 

astral can call it astral 2050

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...