Has Your Taste In Music Changed?

Shpongled247

So the other day I stumbled on a post of mine from 5 years ago or something where i had mentioned hating a certain artists stuff basically (Sensient/Zenon).

I actually felt sort of embarrassed at myself because the thing was i realised that not long after that post, and seeing him live again I started to really love that stuff and could appreciate the genre as a whole.

Maybe I was just a bit older/wiser or maybe it takes an experience to shape what we like sometimes? 

Anyway just an example of tastes changing or growing i guess. 

I still love goa and forest etc the most but over time I became more open to other things I think. 

What about you guys, how has your taste developed or not developed as you got older?

• Like 1

On 11/27/2019 at 1:38 PM, Shpongled247 said:

What about you guys, how has your taste developed or not developed as you got older?

roughly my edm tastes have journeyed like this:

child/young teen:  old-school rave (on the radio, too young to actually rave!).

mid/late-teen:  mainstream edm like Prodigy, Underworld, Chem Bros and what they'd play in small-town clubs. 

19:  discovered actual raving!  started with hard euphoric trance with acid elements  (Brixton scene: Escape from Samsara, Pendragon, Return to the Source etc)...what a revelation...much more refined than old-school rave and far trippier 'n dancier than mainstream edm.

20-21:  bought as a box set the first six Distance to Goa comps on a whim, was hooked.  Normal trance seemed pretty simple in comparison.  parties like Astral Phoenix on Tyssen Street and whatever the events at The Drome were called would play old-school goa.

22-23:  hard-house domination.  the music hasn't aged well, but it was a really fun time!  not deep like trance, just sheer fun.

23-25:  proper techno.  that hypnotic relentless hard lock-groove stuff made a mockery of trance/hard-house's penchant for dramatic pauses and builds. 

26:  had an intense but short-lived full-on psy phase...like hard-house very fun at the time but not aged so well.

27+:  discovered darkpsy!   it (with forest and some hi-tech) remains an addiction.  good darkpsy ages like fine wine.

28-29:  enjoyed DnB techstep 'n neurofunk for a while.

30's:  darkpsy, forest, hi-tech domination.

40:  rediscovered old-school goa...there's so much beautiful timeless music here

• Like 1

I think my tastes have broadened as I’ve gotten older. Actually as far as psy goes I find some stuff boring that I liked even just a few years ago, but I find myself having a little more appreciation for pop music now. Older stuff that is; I still have a strong aversion to anything that is popular when it’s popular.

Nah, I just add more good music. I listen to many more genres than trance. Of course not everything stands the test of time, but most do. Fortunately, I have good taste in music. Hahaha, =).

As a kid I was into hard rock, then it was rap music. In my early teens I started with psytrance. After that I just kept adding more amazing music. =)

Broadened taste for sure. I listen to lots of stuff now that once felt too slow or simple or dark for me.

Glad I never had a "slow down" phase where I phased our faster music. This is a common theme I see in people 30+. I still love tunes cranking at 140-155 when they are good, now more than ever.

I've got a stronger quality filter regardless of genre but I suspect that is normal.

(... Still find Zenon more miss than hit though :P )

12 hours ago, Veracohr said:

I find myself having a little more appreciation for pop music now. Older stuff that is; I still have a strong aversion to anything that is popular when it’s popular.

I have found that my main aversion to pop is exactly that it is currently popular. I love listening to Gwen Stefani, Black Eyed Peas, Pink, etc etc now that is older and not played on radio.

I'm looking for melodies/feelings/atmospheres in the music I'm listening to, and it doesn't matter if I find it in psytrance or other types of music. Spotify has made it a lot easier to discover new artists and genres, so these days I'm listening to more genres and artists, but it's still intense or deep melodies or just deep atmosphere's I'm looking for, regardless of genre.

it has broadened a bit; and i can appreciate good things in music now; that i wouldnt have say 10 years ago. even if the style isnt really to my liking. so thats a very good thing that comes with age i suppose =)

but not really changed. i still like the same stuff i always did. the "dislike" pile has shrunk alot though :)

16 hours ago, Jaza said:

Glad I never had a "slow down" phase where I phased our faster music. This is a common theme I see in people 30+. I still love tunes cranking at 140-155 when they are good, now more than ever.

i actually had a slow down phase where i started to appreciate progressive in addition to goa and fullon many years ago, but the most recent change in taste is that i started to also enjoy forest some time ago. so no slow down here either :)

the best bpm range is still 140-150.

i do also have a little higher tolerance for cheese nowadays, but that only goes so far as to include more fullon and trance classics rather than any pop music from the last few decades.

but not really changed. i still like the same stuff i always did

absolutely. the gems from the past have never lost their status.

• 4 weeks later...

I could obviously go check out my old reviews and cringe a little but I think most of it actually still is holding up for me. My taste has broadened more than it has shifted and I feel that the things I started discovering 20 years ago Goa and Psytrance wise is still very much stuff that keeps popping up in my playlists and also that I keep looking for as real physical copies. I still do buy the old school vinyl and CDs when I find them but I've got quite a bit now so not as desperate as I was before :P

• Like 2

Overall, I have begun to appreciate classical music more.

In the world of psytrance, not really. Of course, I keep finding out about albums I've not heard of before, but the subgenre is and I think will always be goa trance for me. I have tried exploring other subgenres such as progressive or even darkpsy to name some, but I just can't connect with them. Granted, there are a few progressive tracks that I like. The most succesful side-journey for me was with nitzhonot or nitzho-goa or whatever you call it, that caught my attention for a good while and it actually made me appreciate old school goa trance even more :D While cheesy (I guess that's a defining feature of the subgenre), nitzho is the good kind of cheese, but it's not sufficient to sustain me :(

Completely changed? No, but surely broadened.

On 11/27/2019 at 2:38 PM, Shpongled247 said:

I still love goa and forest etc the most but over time I became more open to other things I think. 

True. I can't listen to the uptempo stuff i used to years ago and not for too long for sure. Plus, uptempo or harsh sounding music doesn't favour meditative state of mind.  Headache is the sure consequence.

But Goa has a lot of musical masterpieces that can't be forgotten, of high artistic and mental value.

• Like 1

15 years ago I was a total Goa trance fanatic, a total freak of it . Knew every track I heard and could recognize its titles and composers of most of the released stuff (old and new),  on those years we also had an amazing underground Goa trance parties in Israel which added the magic to it through the dancefloor. I believed that I won't be able to feel that love in other musical genre, but after some years, around 2013 I discovered the downtempo / psychill music that was close to the Goatrance style, which was a "comfortable bridge" between 2 styles for me and I felt in LOVE once again with music. Today my Goatrance doze of music is very small, I barely listen to it during the week. It's not challenging me anymore so I lost the stimulation to it. sometimes I can listen to some top tracks that I been loving the most since ever. but I don't spend much time to discover new released Goa trance music these days.

Today my main music genre is downtempo in styles : Psydub, Psychill-ambient , Forest-chill, Psy-IDM, PsyBass with a very small glitch touches.

Also I like Forest psytrance such as Parvati records. which I listen it way more than Goatrance.

I have to note that I respect Goatrance a lot and way more than any other musical genre, I started my psychedelic journey with it and it has the most beautiful memories and moments of my life that influenced me a lot! .  But as doze of my daily music it's not there anymore.

So my answer to the question is: my musical taste has developed! and I feel good about it!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Of course things change with age. In this scene I find I am finally enjoying the minimal/progressive sounds lot more. Only Iboga Tech & Zenon tickle that aspect for me.

Early Suntrip also was just really not for me but the last 2 years they somehow have slipped nicely in to my listening.

Forest always interested me, and Parvati for me have been really the only label from their first release until now. 

I never like Hi Tech sound, but Alice-D in 2019 has grabbed me with their experimental style of this. The albums during that time for me have started telling really nice details. Especially Dark Whisper with the ethnic vibes just makes me smile.

I also went from casual heavy metal to a big interest in Black Metal the last 18 months. It's eased a bit now, but am going to be at the Inferno Metal Festival in Norway this year. Seeing Mayhem perform in Oslo is just too awesome to miss, and their new album really was a return to glory. 

My 7 year old son is being in to what is popular at school, so hip hop style for him. I just cannot click with it, but we meet halfway with drum & bass as well as my old collection of classic house/Detroit techno vinyl from the 90's. It's super cute watching him dance to those tunes. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes and no at the same time. I always used to listen to different styles and I still do. I used to listen to way more goa and psy stuff back in the days and also bought a lot of releases. Nowadays I rarely buy psy or goa stuff and I completely lost the touch with the scene. Once or twice a year I stumble over a new artist or an album that I buy but it's all by chance. I also haven't been to a propper psy doof in years. Instead I'm into progressive/Techno/Deep House stuff. But also in those genres I go for the melodic (even cheesy…) and driving kind of tracks. Those are the same elements that I was looking for when I started collecting psy and goa records. I still can't appreciate too minimalistic music and I doubt this will every Change.

• 3 weeks later...

Everything started sounding quite generic around 2010 for me and not that much has changed however every now and again I find great stuff to keep me amused. In the past couple of days Celestial Intelligence and Lunatica live at Universo 2020 piques my interest.

• 3 weeks later...

0-16 bollywood music

16-27 90’s pop (venga boys, ricky martin, shanaia twain, etc) and bollywood again

27-37 psytrance, dubstep, house, Techno, commercial trance (realized todays produced dubstep is shït)

More "expanded"... I do not listen so much to eg. 80ties wave/pop anymore cause it gets boring over time, same with Metallica/Slayer or "Gothic" or "EBM" (I still like this style very much tho but there is not much new stuff worthy to listen I only noted the last F.L.A. for being cool) ......like years ago..also really true oldschool goa (I mean the minimal 303ish stuff) not much anymore

I added more "progressive" styles in Trance and TripHop ala Massive Attack... plus some modern pop like Lorde or Lana Del Ray aahh and esp. M.I.A. (the one from Ceylon?)

Also more black metal then 10 years ago

• 2 weeks later...