Alright you sons of bitches, whats going on here? 2019 the year you went and sold your souls to the devil? Huh do a little trade with The Beast did we? Condemn yourself through wizardry to become yourselves, sonic wizards?  

image.png.011b86db157bf12a421f2fa318d4a880.png

Artist: Sykespico
Title: Perspective
Label: Suntrip Records
Release: September 30, 2019

Tracklist:-

1. Great Light
2. Psycho Therapy
3. Trancologica
4. 6EQJE5
5. Concerta
6. Visit Earth (Live Mix)
7. Dance Float
8. Spacestation
9. Persimon

Median project? Jaraluca? Xamanist & now Israeli bad bois Matan Levi & Nadav Elhadad who make up Sykespico? You fellas dealing in dark magic?

I always knew these Bad motha's were bad. But now they join the team of artists who release albums that are just about damn extraordinary. Am I easily pleased or have the Goa trance artists of the day kicked it up a notch? 

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Do we deserve music like this? Are we living our lives well enough to warrant a gift like this? Relax, because Matan & Nadav seem to think so.

Expect Bravado, Gusto, Excess, New Worlds, Raw Tectonics & Volcanoes of Ecstasy. 

~

1. Great Light - Nothing that begins without a boom ends without one. Nothing. Remember that for the rest of this album and use the 2nd half of this track as your first and final reminder. I really did think this track was going to be chill. My word what an exciting track.

2. Psycho therapy - Ok so now we know what to expect and the boys start it off just as beautifully. An instant transportation into a world full of tranquil expectations. I already know the guys for their brilliant compositions in the breaks of their tracks. And Psycho Therapy makes sure I also know them for a great deal of other good things on top of that.

3.  Trancologica - Starts trancey as heck. Is that Osho? I don't know what it is but Indian accents and trance, a match made by Brahma. Expect a lot of good trancological karma and extraordinary soundscapes coming your way for this track. 

4. 6EQJE5 - I mean are we here to party or what. That's rhetorical, Just fuck. Goddamn. 2:30 is all you need to know you're about to listen to one of the best trance tracks created. 6EQJE5, remember that one if you can, it's for your own good. There's nothing I can say that would be better than listening to this track.

5. Concerta - The bassline of this track got me stoned which makes it hard to think about what to write. I got it! No I lost it. YES! No it's gone. A crazy good track with celestial melodies that warp around every part of your consciousness.

6. Atmospheres painted by RA float in the background of this track and when the kickdrum came in I realized I didn't know it wasn't there. Matan & Navad know how to create cool worlds with sounds, and flounce those skills in your face on Visit Earth (Live Mix). I can't call it a favourite because each track pretty much is at this point.

7. Dance Float - Aaaaah Haha its on baby. Did you all check in on time? Bring your passports? Remember not to bring more than 50ml of liquids that aren't in a ziplocked bag? Leave your aerosols at home? Because this space ship ain't waiting around. Boom fucking Boom man. A speed of light banger that gives and gives and gives. Special surprises for us everywhere. But how the song composes it's finale is the most special, like lightening strikes of energy this song rocks.

8. Like every track so far Spacestation gains momentum along the journey. But Spacestation decides to swing you between calm (By Sykespico's standards) and crazy atmospheres. As soon as you think the calm is winning the crazy spreads its tentacles of psychedelic euphoria open, slowly engrossing every part it's electrified world.  

9. Perlimor Star If you didn't already realise the crazy amazing atmospheres that these guys are compelled to create, you'll soon learn (I haven't head stuff like this since listening to Ra!) This could just as well have been an album opener as well as a closer. Beautiful slow trance that grows bigger and bigger.  That grooves up and beyond. Did I just get transported to a the beginning of a new beautiful world being created? No... I got transported to a land of soaring energy that dances across the galaxy. But good guess. 

~

If we are going to call Constellation by MP a cross between Mindsphere & Astral Projection. And Jaraluca's fits into the category of Psylent Budhi, Morphic Resonance & Pleaidians, which I agree with completely. Well then i'm going to liken this to a love child between Ra, Jannis & yes, Pleaidians...They get around. I think Celestial Intelligence might have christened the little bastard. 

I don't know what to say. It's just excellent unexpected stuff. Its exciting and energetic and a whole bunch of other nice words. This will surely be my album of year.

This might be the best album of trance i've heard. But Sykespico already knew that, didn't they?

Time will tell if this album really is as good as I think it is, but so far 8 listens in nothing has changed other than my favorite tracks.

giphy.gif

Magic

https://suntriprecords.bandcamp.com/album/perspective

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great review, thanks! 

I'm not objective but I believe this is one of the best pleiadians/true old goa releases in a LONG time! They are underrated and thats a pitty, so I can only say, check it out (and buy if you like!)  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Anoebis said:

They are underrated and thats a pitty,

I don't think they will be underrated for long. I could easily see them playing at not just Goa festivals but also regular Psytrance festivals (But I think there is room for Goa at every fest). So much power and energy in this album.

I must say straight away that I agree with you guys on this compeletly. I also wrote up some of my thoughts on it,  here they are:

Even though it’s hard to put into words the pure divine power that this gem is, at least in any earthly language, I still feel obliged to give it a try.

Before you ever get taste of the music the art already gives you this vibe of this dissonant world with brain-treees (-> Brainforests) and mirror-ladders warping the space to your perspective. I like it most of any Suntrip art I've seen in a while :) (Just as the music - not meant as a diss to their other releases obv.)

The Great Light shines through the mysterious veil of spiraling melodies and softer beats in the long and calmly pacing buildup, some tension throughout with the constant breaky elements. A few elements keep being added, others subtracted, never overloading the sonic soundscape, accounting for a very old-school feel. As the tension rises the Great Light breaks the spiral veil and rises in climax up and up, for roughly a minute before calming down and padding out the sonic skies with some acid licks and going up into a final climax. Great start to the album, gives you a gentler, softer summary of how the entire thing is going to play out.

Coming of the climax of the previous soundscape-shadow-world, we are introduced into the weird world of PsychoTherapy with a gentle melody and warm bassline, before the kickdrum and, subsequently, the first mad acidscreeches enter. The entire soundscape has a few calm ponds and a whole lot of howling acid hurricanes, where there really is no clear climax, no strongest storm and finality, just mad and cyclic acid all over. There could barely be a better name chosen for this piece, representing a sonic equivalent of a paranoiac trying to leave a forest as the light dies around him with the sun set.

Directly following, we get a perfect encapsulation of sunrise, beginning with very mystic sounding speech samples and a PHAT kick, then some sweet hihats, and just behind it the sweet melody of the first rays awaits. Tranceologia definitely feels a little more crowded, but by no means overcrowded, it has the huge swath of melodies encoding the first, gentle, toned down sunbeams, the colors returning, the air, cold and moist yet, the stamped out ground, the wriggling mass of humans on and above it, and the ecstatic trance of the perfect Goa Sunrise. The breaks in the final build launch the following climax into Cloud nine (for me atleast, gotta have them breaks for Frühstück)

Although I can’t really make any sense of the fourth tracks name, it does not in any way diminish the glory and splendor of “6EQJE5”  It’s the first (and only?) one to pull no punches and enters almost immediately with a kickdrum and a bassline a few loops late, transitioning into hihats, a few screeching, tension-building acid screams and then abruptly and unexpectedly early, everything just EXPLODES in your face, as the melody flies off the handle into a nostalgic, bittersweet drama. This first climax is debatably the highest this track will go, but the following little melodic spirals and powerful energetic acid roars are still worth every second and round the track out nicely. Still, my soul is most encompassed by that first and most melodic climax.

Concerta is introduced with some gentle acid and a warm bassy melody, with the kickoff then a few mysteries are posed in the language of melody. More unsettling albeit powerful melodies are introduced as the tension is conducted a pace above the previous suite’s each go. The track doesn’t stray much from it’s hypnotic core though and is, together with the following track, the most newschool-ish one on the album.

Speaking if which – the live mix of Visiting Earth is a thing of beauty. I definitely see the comparison with Filteria and RA, Filteria contributing the mad acid that hits you as the curtain is drawn, RA the clean, classic cheese straight from the orient and Sykespico themselves the bombastic climax – the way it is gently teased and grows stronger and more solid about you is simply beautiful.

Dance Float is introduced with some cheesy dramatic trance, lays then the foundation with a phat sounding kickbass, leers then into direction of some cheesy psy-style bells, before throwing that sideways and picking up full power, with lush leads and twirling acid and it doesn’t let up but once, till the end. Towards the end the synthlines seem to pick up some of the acids twist. Lovely.

After all of the Realm-Warping adventures over the last hour, you arrive at Space Station, to chill for a few, and you hear the dissonance creeping up, and hear the breaks, and then weird shit hits the fan in zero gravity and there’s alien excrement allover, staining all of it with inherent, integral weirdness. From the bass and percussion to the weirdly placed breaks and the hectic as hell acid. Very energetic, weird and playful, even picking up some drama for the climax, all you need to carry out your diabolic interdimensional scheme.

Rounding all this out into a ball of superheated plasma, the duo give us Perlimor Star – a beauty stricken through and through with a groovy hoovey breakbeat, melancholic melodies that just spiral out and out, and some well-placed piano and female vocal cheese. Have I already told you how much I love breaks? Well I do, so, so much. Especially when paired with melodies the both spiral outwards and look inwards. Beautiful piece of downtempo goa, the perfect age-old secret of ending on a downtempo note.

Perspective reminds me, just as most of the ones who’ve said something here, a lot of oldschool – but it is not Pleidians I would associate most with this style – a lot of the tracks are, to me, in their playful insanity, very reminiscent of the old Denshi Danshi stuff, and that’s a good thing. Also, I just have to remark that I absolutely love how Sykespico play with the composition, not just layering everything on top of eachother, but creating lots of dynamics and power. Can’t wait to hear them play at Apsara, missed them last time unfortunately, had not a clue how awesome their stuff is till this came in, totally out of left field.

Not as relevant, since I doubt many people nowadays have read it (not in Germany anyways), the album gives me the impression of Corwin walking and warping strange, chaotic shadow worlds (a Character from Zelazny’s classic Chronicles of Amber, where powerful demigods can walk an infinity of universes by adjusting aspects of their surroundings with the help of their imagination)

Edit: effed up a word. 

• Like 3

THIS IS "NEW OLD SCHOOL" 100%. WOW

never heard the name sykespico before (again ignorance on my part) and just blown away by the supreme quality of the old school vibes. musically it seems extremely engaging already at first listen.

have to come back to this later on . gonna give it the time this album deserves before i say anything else =) just wow

• 11 months later...