Summamutikka - Black Moon EP

So I decided to revive the Summamutikka project after almost 20 years break. Let's see how this is received, maybe I'll get inspired to write a full album :) Altough lately been working with much more low-tempo music.

100% of the profits go to benefit Survival International and their work towards indigenous communities around the world.

a0808430903_16.jpg

These songs are a tribute to the oldschool goa spirit, especially the more organic and soft sounds of mid-90s.

Two of the tracks are what I call "re-mutations" of well-known goa tracks, where I took the general atmosphere and even carefully borrowed a few structural bits to come up with something new and hopefully fresh. I'll be interested to hear if somebody can spot which two tracks were the inspiration!

Originally I started the Summamutikka project in the year 2000 with a friend because we both felt that the old goa sound was dying, and we wanted to keep the flame burning. Now melodic psychedelic trance is doing well globally, but there's still styles of old goa that are not getting that much love in the revival movement. So this is my small contribution, I hope you enjoy it, and make the purchase to give your support to Survival International and their work towards disadvantaged indigenous communities all over the world!

Bandcamp page

This is pretty good!

I'm puzzled about Neuron Shift though. The aggressive-ish synth starting late in minute 6 is completely off the beat, and its extremely bad at minute 8. Sounds like mixing two tracks with CDJs and one track is that tad bit off and tempos don't quite match either. Is this intended? It definitely shifts my neurons, in an unpleasant way though. :wacko:

4 hours ago, Proxeeus said:

Haven't checked the music yet but man do I dig that artwork.

Thanks :D This was for me an "inspired by" release where I took a lot of influences from elsewhere, the cover was inspired in some way by some gorgeous painted and silk screened album covers from the 70s, I tried to achieve an organic look. The typography could be more polished, but been reeeeallly busy with the family lately.

2 hours ago, pdinklag said:

This is pretty good!

I'm puzzled about Neuron Shift though. The aggressive-ish synth starting late in minute 6 is completely off the beat, and its extremely bad at minute 8. Sounds like mixing two tracks with CDJs and one track is that tad bit off and tempos don't quite match either. Is this intended? It definitely shifts my neurons, in an unpleasant way though. :wacko:

Shiit, you're right, the part had moved by a 64th note too early at some point, and double that at a later point, I corrected it, I hope the corrected versions are online soon, Bandcamp probably very soon, the rest of the internet I'm not sure how it works for updates for shops.

Embarassing that that slipped through, even though I double checked everything. My ears must just have grown to that mistake and my focus just shot past it :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks :D Btw the bassline melody and rhtyhm on that one is snatched from Pink Floyd, played at 200% speed... I think it was the opening from A Saucerful of Secrets. I might make a new album one day, just now been terribly busy with our baby and other stuff, and the music I've been making has been a bit different (I've had a new ambient/techno album ready for a while but can't pay for the cover art currently so it's on hiatus...). Actually I have also some new(ish) unreleased Summamutikka tracks that were private commissions, but I don't think these will be released, I play them in my live sets though, so catch one in the rare case I play under Summamutikka name somewhere ;)