Does anybody else miss melodic full-on?

recursion loop

• 7 months later...
On 11/1/2021 at 10:21 AM, recursion loop said:

Did someone miss DNA, Gataka, Vibe Tribe, Electro Sun?  145 bpm with happy sunshine melodies  :)

Unashamedly cheesy one, but quite enjoyable (or maybe I just starved for properly melodic psy for so long)

That's the kind of full-on I like and miss. I can even be cheesier for me... :D I didn't know Lexxus but I just pre-ordered a physical copy of that album. Thanks for posting it!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, astralprojection said:

i just wish it didnt sound so clinically perfect. that would make the music more interesting

Agree with you here, it does sound very clean and transparent (and very very loud I guess) but the sound somewhat lacks warmth and substance.

But it's the sound of today, love it or hate it... I think the music is quite decent nevertheless.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2021 at 7:48 AM, recursion loop said:

Another fresh album, very modern sound but I think I hear a lot of influences from classic morning stuff, such as Protoculture, Silicon Sound, Ephedrix, Digicult

Really good one, IMO.

thanks. there is definitely some influence from there. but it also reminds me of sonic species, which isn't a bad sign at all either.

On 11/30/2021 at 2:15 PM, astralprojection said:

i just wish it didnt sound so clinically perfect. that would make the music more interesting. 

true. and also when skipping through the tracks sometimes the bassline stays exactly the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Padmapani said:

sonic species

Yes, that too.

3 hours ago, Padmapani said:

skipping through the tracks sometimes the bassline stays exactly the same

When I skip trough compilations of tracks by different producers the bassline often stays exacxtly the same.

It's just what it is... the 2021 psy bassline. I think most newschool psy guys must credit Futurephonics and Function Loops as co-producers :) 

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2021 at 4:32 PM, Padmapani said:

sonic species

The first track of the album was haunting me for a few days, like it was something I had heard before despite I was pretty sure I hadn't.

It turned our to be that Sonic Species track, some parts of the Altered State's one sound almost like it was an attempt at 1:1 remake

On 12/8/2021 at 1:31 PM, recursion loop said:

The first track of the album was haunting me for a few days, like it was something I had heard before despite I was pretty sure I hadn't.

It turned our to be that Sonic Species track, some parts of the Altered State's one sound almost like it was an attempt at 1:1 remake

now that you mention it, the similarities are very obvious.

These basslines are all similar in alot of ways, not just from 1 artist to another but in the entirety of current mainstream psytrance. Everything must be so damn clicky. Even the kick can't just be a kick no more it has to be layerd with some kind of hihat or even snare. And since the production is so surgical, it feels like all those tracks sound the same to me, I've complained about this before. Everything has become so digitally perfect, there's literally nowhere else to go with this "exact" sounds scape where everything has its exact place in the frequency, as well as perfect phase cohesion between kicks, snares, bass, leads. It's just become to overly surgical and lifeless to my taste. 

I don't blame the artists - technically what they are achieving is very impressive, but more often then not the soul and character of the music fades away and it can be virtually impossible to tell the difference between many current pay artists. Some of their tracks could easily have been someone else's and vice versa. 

Sure I'm damn near 40 it's no wonder my ears "miss" the more organic and unique sound each artist used to have - imperfections alike. Cosma, silicon sound, early astrix, protoculture, sonic species, ticon even son kite could all be easily told apart. 

But the current generation I'm not sure what the Heck is going on with the sound, only that it's going backwards.... When technically I guess its going forward but to what cost?? 

I just feel the music suffers alot with the see "pixel perfect" mixes that makes it hard to distinguish one artist from another.. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I donno how 'melodic' you find this, but is it not one of the best Full-On tracks (in it's own right) ever? It's really strong qualituy (mm, tasty KB thump) with a felt positive message truly important now and always kinda thing. Agree? Some comments on it would be great to read:) https://kaliearth.bandcamp.com/track/blue-dot