what whas the first New School goa track

29 minutes ago, Anoebis said:

Actually, if you are guys are really so interested in this... The first new school goa track is the first goa-trance track completely made with pc! No external synths used. Any idea what that track would be? :p  

Do trackers count in this case? Or are samples from synths considered "external synths"? We're talking mid-90s anyway here :)
If not, maybe something made in early versions of Jeskola Buzz where no samples were used.

25 minutes ago, Anoebis said:

Actually, if you are guys are really so interested in this... The first new school goa track is the first goa-trance track completely made with pc! No external synths used. Any idea what that track would be? :p 

This is getting silly now... (Or did it already several pages ago?) I remember that there were goa-flavoured .mods in the tracker scene in 1993-1994. The term "goa" as a genre was barely known back then. However, soft-synths were quite limited so there was plenty of sample ripping from hardware or commercial sources (which in turn were typically hardware-based). Where do you draw the line with "no external synths used"?

One landmark was Propellerhead Software's ReBirth, which was released in December 1996 and made fully soft-synthetic classic goa sound quite easily achievable. I have some tracks from 1997, which indeed credit ReBirth as more or less the only sound source. And you could distribute ReBirth-sequenced files directly too. Those were definitely 100% PC.

It's also known that Shiva Shidapu was releasing tracker music in 1997 and they were hardly the only ones. No idea about all their sound sources, though.

I think I made some pure AdLib FM-synth tracks in the mid-90s. The manufacturer of the original card went bankrupt in 1992 so the hardware option was definitely there earlier than goa as a named genre existed. The sound capabilities were definitely limited, but a 303 is not a strict requirement for producing goa, right? :lol:

• Like 1

that is one excellent and refreshing comment.

the first music i ever made was with ReBirth. 

what does it mean though? Does hardware/software have nothing to do with what is new and old school ?

im enclined to believe, no. 

but certainly its part of it. software then wasnt nearly as good as software now. and software now is what make artists like nova fractal, and artifact303 so damn good.

but artifact303, im not even sure if that is all software........ nova fractal i do know, and to me that is some of the best Goa Trance that exists today. i dont care the slightest if it sounds software..and its damn near the definition of new school to me... while artifact303 is somehow borderline to the old school ? i dont know, im not making any sense.

nova fractal - common cold for example. thats one of the tracks id put as top 3 neogoa of all time... and it sounds software as hell and nowhere near the quality of artifact303 - feelings - yet i still rank it as top 3 with that one. 

its a strange thing - music. 

On 6/29/2019 at 2:03 AM, Psychedelic Superbeast said:

first Newschool track:

Well, that sounds horrible like most 80s synth-pop stuff, especially made in ex-USSR. But some of Alliance's later songs were actually great, my father had a vinyl, i think it was Sdelano v Belom (Made In White) which I liked a lot when I was about 11 y.o. Today it sounds very naive but it still has some hypnotic and mysterious qualities similar to what I'm looking for in psychill music  

• Like 1

On 6/30/2019 at 11:56 PM, Anoebis said:

Psylent Buddhi? 

This is taken from Discogs: "1997 - 2003 is, as the album title suggests, a collection of tracks created between 1997 and 2003. ....Apart from Retrocede, Metalucid and Winter Tickle, the tracks were produced using an eclectic combination of Impulse Tracker, Rebirth, Dreamstation and Acid". 

https://www.discogs.com/ru/Psylent-Buddhi-1997-2003/release/1512212

For what I know, Rebirth and Dreamstation were some of the first software capable of making synth sounds, Acid was a mixing software and Impulse Tracker was, well ... a tracker. So apparently no external gear whatsoever.

6 hours ago, Tsotsi said:

@astralprojection taking in some of this software and tracker categorization; is it possible Quazar is just the first 'good'/'great' Neogoa track. 

Hmm I'm not sure, that seems a bit too subjective. But it's an interesting thought. And I would never had guessed this would be such a hard topic to get to the bottom of. Very interesting thread indeed :)

2 hours ago, thanosp81 said:

I wonder if we had Newschool tracks mastered the old way. Would they sound more Goa???

I think it's much more in the mix than master, but certainly it's my belief you can mix a track to sound old school. I've already "decided" that mixing style and production style is what defines either. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/19/2019 at 3:41 AM, astralprojection said:

Is everything made since 2004 technically New School? Or what in your mind, would constitute something being produced now; but still Old School ? So pretty much same question recursion asked me :P

Don't know why i've been thinking about this question lately BUT is Neogoa just Goa + Ambient?

52 minutes ago, Psychedelic Superbeast said:

your are here because baba subrabeast has new gay gem 

i belive you never heard this shitty but emotional track...я вас немцев в анал сф пидарасю

Don't forget to take extra vitamin b1, b6 and b12 with all that booze <3

On 6/18/2019 at 7:41 PM, astralprojection said:

^

do you know of any New Old School tracks  or did I just make  that up a few comments ago ? :P

Is everything made since 2004 technically New School? Or what in your mind, would constitute something being produced now; but still Old School ? So pretty much same question recursion asked me :P

For example Jikooha sounds old school most of the time, this EP for instance was released this year. 

On 10/25/2019 at 6:58 PM, Manuser said:

do you know of any New Old School tracks  or did I just make  that up a few comments ago ?

Have we had wrong all along? What if Pleiadians were Old New school and Neo Goa started in the 90's? 

14 hours ago, Tsotsi said:

Have we had wrong all along? What if Pleiadians were Old New school and Neo Goa started in the 90's? 

The link I posted above is dead, but this is the EP of 2019 I was mentioning:

And this album is from 2012, it is old school I think:

To be honest I never liked this distinction between old and new school goa, for me it should just be goa trance, whether it sounds modern or old is a detail. 

• Like 2