what whas the first New School goa track

yeah i think synsun - quazar is the clear winner.

and as for what constitues new school - for me im convinced that the main characteristic is a very clean sound, that the artist worked very very hard on to perfect. as in the old days, these guys were actual musicians, they played actual music, and the music was always in the forefront. the technical aspect of sound design was limited to the gear they had. some gear sounds amazing just from the get go which is why the old school has that sweet analog warm cozy sound quality. but; it happened automatically.

now with new school, most producers (certainly not all) use software.  with that comes an advantage - they have averything imaginable avaliable to them to truly perfect the mix. 

it will still not sound as warm and analog as it did in the old school. 

there, that is what i have learned and concluded, from this thread what the difference are =)

• Like 1

I would find very interesting the comments and thoughts of someone younger than us :) Someone that grew up with the NeoGoa and later found out about the oldschool Goa. See if they think there are differences and if yes what which exactly.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Psychedelic Superbeast said:

Then i have an earlier one IFO! xDDDDD

I disagree. Pleiadians sound is more structures and well thought out, whereas Crop Circles is more chaotic and random, just like NeoGoa  :):):)

10 minutes ago, thanosp81 said:

I would find very interesting the comments and thoughts of someone younger than us :) Someone that grew up with the NeoGoa and later found out about the oldschool Goa. See if they think there are differences and if yes what which exactly.

me too :)

5 hours ago, thanosp81 said:

giphy-downsized.gif

Well my first album was RA - Earthcall and then Artha - Dream Telepathy, before that I labelled the album Loud - 5 Billion Stars as Goa. I didn't listen to any old school until about 2-3 years into my experience and didn't like it until one special night with me and Hallucinogen. How about that for credentials?

There are pretty big differences between the two. But I think we already know what they are. Old school had a sense of play about where you can almost feel the artists on the other side of the track. The good albums certainly feel like they come from artists with a broader musical range who loop A LOT LESS, probably due to hardware. The tracks have quirks and more subtle changes that are a result of live knob twisting and all that. The looping that does go on gets tweaked so it doesn't sound so same same. Also the tracks have room to move, much more space in oldschool.

HOWEVER, Kick drums are often weak and even if a good melody is present, having starting from heavily layered music I miss the craziness and extra psychedelia present in Neogoa layers. Some Old school blows my mind and I love how nothing is placed in a track without a purpose, but the real eargasms, increased heart rates and jumping around comes from Neogoa. 

While I hear the creative genius behind the classic old school albums, I get far more lost within modern classics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^ that is one nice reply Tsotsi, and a lot of good posts in here about the subject in general. So SynSUN, they won the spot? That is pretty cool, ha, who would have known. Cool for them. What an honour to be pulled up like that all the way in 2019 

Or will the sole OT spot go to another artist, another track?  Didn't the "Old is Gold" Goatrance releases contain some of the very first NewSchool Goatrance also?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, psytones said:

Didn't the "Old is Gold" Goatrance releases contain some of the very first NewSchool Goatrance also?

Of course they did, I was wondering how no one had mentioned yet. I just don't know how back they go.

I still absolutely refuse to accept "NeoGoa" (especially with that capitalisation) as a genre name. You can try to convince me otherwise but you'll fail. To me it's all Goa Trance. Period.

And as for "the first newschool track", it's exactly as difficult to define as "the first goa trance track". There was a bit of fluctuation around the turn of the millennium. Off the top of my head, the Ra / Electron Wave / Dimension 5 trinity comes to mind, and also Tranceform Records with Blissful Moments / Ethereal / Ypsilon 5. Astral Projection's Amen isn't really oldschool either. Filteria was among them too but I don't hold him in nearly as high regard as most of the scene seems to.

• Like 2

It's just evolution of a certain music style... don't think there's a point where you'd be able to pinpoint an oldschool track from a "neogoa" one precisely. Analog vs. digital may be the factor that gave this genre a certain leap into something new though.  

• Like 1

Wow there is some fuuun stuff happening in here! :D

This thread has been so goooood, even if to just remind me some tracks i have forgotten haha..

Also, I never heard Quazar before! I don't know how but yeah, never.. and it just blew my mind!

As for the original topic.. So hard to pinpoint as most of you already worked out, but Ethereal/BPC/Synsun must be some of the first and well Filteria is his own thing but he gave it that huge kickstart of energy at a perfect time. :D 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Psychedelic Superbeast said:

haha yo, sorry i was drunk yesterday...even such a perfect cosmic being like me has a weak point...i feel that the racism is rising in our world and soon the apocalypse will arrive to set the equilibrium of good and evil.

"The beauty you see in me is a reflection of you"

- Artifact303

You still sound drunk :P:P:P

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2019 at 3:58 AM, Tsotsi said:

but the real eargasms, increased heart rates and jumping around comes from Neogoa. 

all you said is pretty much spot on, and also what i feel the differences are except this little line here.

I think no newschool track- ever- can compete with the heart racing moments some of the old school can. I can make a list of at least 10 tracks - that in my mind cannot be topped (or at least, have not been topped yet) (for example AP stuff from dancing galaxy, hallucinogen stuff from lone deranger,  etc etc. not to mention one-hit wonders like juan,domi,jorg - spiritual healing remix, pigs in space - solar, and the absolute stormer that is p.cok - double doper) artifact303, e-mantra and filteria in all glory - they just dont outdo those old school classics. (my humble opinion, by no means facts)

with that said i also still enjoy new school more now, than i ever did :)

On 6/28/2019 at 8:13 PM, Oopie said:

It's just evolution of a certain music style... don't think there's a point where you'd be able to pinpoint an oldschool track from a "neogoa" one precisely. Analog vs. digital may be the factor that gave this genre a certain leap into something new though.  

we did find that point though, and its 2001 and SynSUN -Quazar.

unless you got a better once in mind :)

Ethereal - all systems are go 

and RA - To sirius were also great suggestions.

1 hour ago, astralprojection said:

we did find that point though, and its 2001 and SynSUN -Quazar.

unless you got a better once in mind :)

Ethereal - all systems are go 

and RA - To sirius were also great suggestions.

Ra's album is old school and some of 'To Sirius' tracks have been produced as early as 96/97. 

I'll let you have your opinion on Synsun but would like to point out they also made two albums in 99 & 00 which have similar tracks to the one you mentioned.

2 hours ago, Oopie said:

Ra's album is old school and some of 'To Sirius' tracks have been produced as early as 96/97. 

I'll let you have your opinion on Synsun but would like to point out they also made two albums in 99 & 00 which have similar tracks to the one you mentioned.

yeah, but quazar to me (and a few others here) seem to be the one.

i completely agree that RA isnt new school (although i do see the merit in him being so) and ethereal is borderline at best :) 

Actually, if you are guys are really so interested in this... The first new school goa track is the first goa-trance track completely made with pc! No external synths used. Any idea what that track would be? :p 

okay, very interesting, im dying to know =)

and yes dammit, music is fun and everything technical about music wether it be genre definitions or what have u, is very fun. Specially because eveyrone has their own opinion and noone is wrong. That is the main fun part about it. And the concurrent disagreement that ensues by the opinions.

;D