what whas the first New School goa track

can it be pinpointed? I think so.

Its likely Filteria, with his 2004 release? But damn, he was really early, because peeople were still trying to make New "old school" goa back then. (MWNN, ypsilon-5, chi-ad, and many more - all came out with New Old School tracks in 2003-2005.)

But IIRC, filteria is the person who did not try to make New "old school" goa, but instead, New, "Brand new" goa.

Or maybe it wasnt him? Then who? And what is your definition of New School goa vs Old School goa if released in the same year?

For example. MWNN - Space Juice was released in 2003. Its most definitly old school , while still sounding "new". So , its what I would call New "old school".

But Filterias release in the following year, sounded nothing like the old school - while at the same time, it sounded EXACTLY like it.

but it was new. it was brand new!

Well, New School was born very quickly and a couple more artists came in, immediately after Filteria - with their own "New School" releases. (E-Mantra, Artifact303, Radical Distortion, Afgin etc)

But what was the track or album that really defined New School, and what is your opinion, youve just read mine, now im eager to read yours :)

addition: i guess many people would say the New School part simply refers to the artists themselves.

As in they are new to the scene, but the scene is old, and they gave a  rebirth to the scene.

I mean, i know that is what it means. But nowadays, when we say Newschool or Neogoa - we most likely are referring to a style of music  rather than just semantics.

Probably Filteria as you said, or at least the most well known. 

I see NeoGoa as a blatant copy paste of Pleiadians  sound to be honest. What was difficult to achieve back then sound wise due to technical limitations (and made them sound so distinct and well produced) now days you can do it with no hardware and in a couple of days probably. Throw in a hundred of channels, melodies that have no feeling or connection between them and you have the bad NeoGoa. And where are the bridges in track structure? Goa was full of them, NeoGoa...not really. 

Or...I'm just old :P

Thats a very nice and slightly profound comment there, thanks alot ^^

While I do love neo-goa;  I cannot disagreee with anything you just said ^_^

edit: well, with fresh ears, i do disagree on the "copy paste pleadians = newschool".  I disagree with that, i think Filterias first album yes, it is obviously very close to pleadians.

But its not very strange because he uses same synths, and the music is the same style too, so its really not strange, but these days i really much prefer filterias music over pleiadians. but then, i dont really compare the two .

arguably, sneila's species album from 2001 could be the first newschool. it was happily played in newschool dj sets and also has that early newschool sound (bright, soft melodies, melodic but not overloaded like later newschool, also not really like pleiadians at all). other contenders are the blissful moments compilation (2003), ethereal - anima mundi (2003) and ypsilon 5 (2004; it's pure newschool imho), sky input of course, va - pure planet (2004; this one includes sneila as well as goasia). these along with apsara (2005) really defined the newschool sound (of the time) for me (well, maybe not no much sky input — filteria has his own unique style). a sound that was dominent until daze and arcana (which broadened the scope of newschool). i miss the "old newschool" nowadays. i much prefer it over what's popular in now (morphic resonance, celstial intelligence, ...)

btw: space juice is psytrance rather than goa in my music library ;). but yeah, many tracks from around that time (or a little earlier) are hard to divide into psy or goa. try to classify talamasca - the old school, the tracks from cosmosis' contact album, electric universe's unify album... you'll get different answers from different people :)

• Like 1

great input :)

this is exactly why i started the topic :D

its very interesting to read others opinions about it. I do remember that Ypsilon-5 album, and it was also a fresh gust of wind, but it wasnt really captivating to me then, it sounded a bit too awkward there in the ether, not old-school and to me, not new school either, just in between. Alot of artists had tons of "in between" attempts, but for me i still think it was filteria that got it right the first time.

id concede that space juice absolutely is psytrance and not goatrance, but its so close to goa though, and to me also another attempt at creating something new. Chi-Ad - Hammerhead is another one of those "in between" tracks for me, but i guess that might be a debatable example :p

i blame the fact that i completely missed earth crossing, and then heard this track by accident on some random VA from the time. 

so a few hits and misses for sure in the years 2001-2004- ish

i hadnt noticed that 2001 album you mentioned. WIll have to check it out now :)

How do you distinguish oldschool from newschool?

Is it only related to the actual time when it was released (when was the breaking point then)?

Is it about production facilities (hadware mixers and sequencers, analog synths vs DAW and virtual/digital synths)? 

Is it about the production style (newschool supposedly has more layers, more uptempo and less atmospheric sound, more chaotic melodies)?

How do you think, is anyone still making oldschool goa, or was in the last decade?

3 minutes ago, recursion loop said:

How do you distinguish oldschool from newschool?

Is it only related to the actual time when it was released (when was the breaking point then)?

Is it about production facilities (hadware mixers and sequencers, analog synths vs DAW and virtual/digital synths)? 

Is about the production style (newschool supposedly has more layers, more uptempo and less atmospheric sound, more chaotic melodies)?

How do you think, is anyone still making oldschool goa, or was in the last decade?

not sure :) probably the style of music.

no, i dont think so. and if it was then i think the breaking point must be 2003/2004 :)

yep, that has alot to do with it for sure, but certainly not every time. filteria for example who is a hardware nut =)

yes. production style is for me the thing that defines it. 

good question! uhm, i guess not really a hard answer, since style of music seems to be the most defining character; i think the same way a person could make newschool goa he could also make oldschool goa :) (meaning LESS layers, LESS software-like sound, using hardware sequencers and synths for sure will help here) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, recursion loop said:

AP, what do you think about Skarma? Is it "oldschool" or "newschool" in your definitions?

excellent question!

Skarma is probably one of those artists, that I would say have both New and Old School production style at the same time. So both :D

Same with Afgin, actually, tracks like Afgin - Shine On , Id say actually IS New Old School =)

edit: meh, Skarma too, now that i go through those two tracks you linked me. If that isnt New  Old School then I really dont think it exists. So good point and good questions ;)

^

do you know of any New Old School tracks  or did I just make  that up a few comments ago ? :P

Is everything made since 2004 technically New School? Or what in your mind, would constitute something being produced now; but still Old School ? So pretty much same question recursion asked me :P

I think Skarma has some qualities that set his tracks apart from the rest of modern goa. First, his tracks sound soft and a bit muddy, the kicks are not really punchy and the instruments separation is not that good. On the other hand, there is some lovely warmth in there. I don't pretend I can actually tell hardware production from software but his tracks sound to me more like a small hardware setup than a modern DAW/VSTi-based studio.

Second, he doesn't try to kill your ears with 10,000 notes per second, his melodies have some hypnotic and actually entrancing qualities which I don't often hear in modern goa and which rather remind me of classic AP and MWNN tracks.

TBH I don't exactly remember what that Hypnoxock goa album sounds like, for we they always were one of the best fullon acts (Synthetic Resurrection!) but when I heard their goa attempts it sounded to me pretty much like "an average newschool album". Maybe i should give it another listen.

Good topic,

I heard Ypsilon a year into my Modern Goa exploration and instantly labelled it as old school I still do really. 

In the beginning I defined old school by the sound. Softer kickdrums being the main distinction. Now I can't honestly say that I can tell the two era's apart (Unless it's some of that sexy cosmic goa). If I had to define the the two I would just define by year. Produced Goa after 2004? Sounds like Old School? Sorry mate it's just Goa. 

NeoGoa on the other hand; I would only really call Timewarp, Global Sect, Comsic styled goa 'NeoGoa' and even then I think it's a stretch to label it as such. I prefer 'Goa' although I do use a bunch of other labels when i talk about it.

We also have Proxeeus. For what I know he is using only or mainly classic hardware synths and effects (or their modern clones)

33092277_950836515087451_833714935687649

Does his music sound oldschool to anyone? For me it does in terms of production but not so much in terms of composition and melodies (chaotic/agressive rather than hypnotic/entrancing) but I don't actually know much about 90's goa except for AP, MWNN some Blue Planet Corporation and such.

Btw, I think it's time for someone to invent "post-neogoa", blendng all these cool psytrance sounds, FM, metallic noises, alien insect sounds and such with goa melodies and "cosmic" atmospheres.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, recursion loop said:

Btw, I think it's time for someone to invent "post-neogoa", blendng all these cool psytrance sounds, FM, metallic noises, alien insect sounds and such with goa melodies and "cosmic" atmospheres.

+1 Fabulous Idea

19 hours ago, Paul Eye said:

No, I asked since when it's been the name of a genre.

The genre labelling committee hasn't reached a conclusion yet. 

Joke aside though, it has been used as a term to describe new school Goa for years now. Almost as soon as it appeared. I am surprised you weren't aware of that. 

In any case, in my ears, if not a genre then I categorise it as at least sub-genre. And from the comments here I get the feeling that a lot of people do that. 

As finding the first NeoGoa track/artist I do not think that is possible. There is probably none. The same way there was never a "first human". The transition was too smooth to be pinpointed on a specific point. There were always people trying to make Goa (slowly turning to new school goa) even during the "Dark Ages" B) What we can do is to choose the first album or compilation that defined that sound in such a detail and quality (maybe) to be considered as a turning point and quite distinct from it's predecessors. Something like X-Dream did with their Radio album :) The sound that the rest of the artists were trying to achieve/copy. 

1 hour ago, Redo said:

"Btw, I think it's time for someone to invent "post-neogoa", blendng all these cool psytrance sounds, FM, metallic noises, alien insect sounds and such with goa melodies and "cosmic" atmospheres.""

@recursion loop Glowing Flame records says hi

You mean something like this?

Good one, but to me it sounds more like psytrance injected with some goa vibes, I rather mean it the other way round, something which is rooted in goa but with some psy sounds in there. Like this track, I love these delicious FM leads at 1:45

6 hours ago, recursion loop said:

you mean something like skizologic?