Old school artists / tracks not well known but very good

Manuser

Hi,
I wanted to start this thread a while ago but forgot about it. There are artists out there who produced special tracks but who are not too well known. I mean old school artists, we could post modern tracks of course but there are just too many artists nowadays, so I am more interested in what was produced a long time ago.

For example Messiah, who was a member of Orion but his music is more appealing to me than Orion.

Messiah - Reincarnation of the mysterious

Messiah - Ghost

And tracks of other artists I found is some compilations, for example:
Ectomorph - Trilobite it actually sounds a bit like Koxbox :) checking Discogs, this artist (Crispin Gair) never released anything else. 

Menis - Rakebeat: nice track with unusual structure. 

Feel free to post more examples. 

I'm not sure if Bamboo Forest qualify as not very well know, as they were quite a big deal back in the days

but here is one of their coolest tracks, before they went all commercial and cheesy and broke my heart :(

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 5:31 PM, yerg said:

I'm not sure if Bamboo Forest qualify as not very well know, as they were quite a big deal back in the days

but here is one of their coolest tracks, before they went all commercial and cheesy and broke my heart :(

Nice track!

From the same artists, choose your world is heavy. 

• 6 months later...

Listened to them all except Akanoid :)
Fav: Space cat, Black hole, Bodh Gaya, favorite in the album is Im Rachen Des Jaguars, Gada-Gong (nice mid-tempo), X-Frame, that slow part is great, Katayama, not an obscure track though, it is in many compilations, I still love the acidic intro, Raia, great track. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've always had a soft spot for this bargain-bin comp mainstay: Airborne - Speed.  It has 400 views after 8 years online so deffo counts as not well known :lol:

It's produced by one of those types who have a hundred aliases which they use to spam content on cheap comps.  Normally the musik on such comps is substandard, but I would classify this one as very good...not among the classics or the greatest, but will fit nicely in a mix set amongst such:

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 11/9/2019 at 4:47 PM, astralprojection said:

Space cat - deep rising 

I would consider this a well-known track, but still a great track! :)

In that vein... maybe also not in the "unknown category"...

Alien Project - The First Revelation Part One 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you want OLDschool, DARK and gritty stuff from around 2000ish here is an unknown artist in this (psy/goa) scene but somewhat better in the Indus/EBM scene. However he has at least 2 tracks which would be "on topic" in this forum. These 2 are "Sade" and "Der Teufel", to a lesser degree also "Civil War"

I wonder if I am correct in this estimination. I still struggle to sort in certain songs, perhaps cause they still have more "Industrial" then Trance - no idea you judge...this is no happy, melodic goa - so do not beat me up if you expected that. You can just play all 7 titles in a row also the not so trancy ones:

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=29989&content=songs

Is only 128bit and mixing etc. not the best, but as I said kinda has grit or rawness to it - which seemed to still work for many listeners, as some of the tracks were in the genre charts even a No. 7 another on 13...

On 11/9/2019 at 4:47 PM, astralprojection said:

Akanoid - sundance (damn still not on youtube, someone gotta do something about that )

Space cat - deep rising 

Just 3 that pop to mind not usually that common but superb :)

I have still an album from Akanoid, but it irritated me with some vocals, seems they went more to synthpop on that one. In fact I like some synth-wave-pop but Akanoid seemed on the cheesier side of things. Not like old Depeche, Beborn Beton, Wolfsheim or so (from those I like almost all "older" works).
I always somehow associate Akanoid with Element, I believe later Element tracks also had some kind of vox and both are from Germany. Transform album however has some kewl tracks.

Even I know the Space Cat track lol But I believe it was not so much my taste, need to re-listen - just now .. ah quite nice tune, bit too "melodic" perhaps (yeah I like melodies too but it must have a not cheesy feel..I am gulity of cheese too you know it lol)

Here a link for Akanoid (ger):

https://www.backstagepro.de/akanoid

Brings back memories not only was I right they went synthpop, vox and guitars - but also the new label from them was Echozone., I know this one well, when I was writing for a "dark scene/Indus/ebm/synth etc" magazine, the Echozone stuff mostly was quite poppy so was not to thrilled getting promos from this label (tbh). I even know the metalband from one of the members "Dark Millennium"

Here the CD I have: https://www.discogs.com/de/Akanoid-Metamorphin/release/341867

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 8:32 PM, dhollmusik said:

I've always had a soft spot for this bargain-bin comp mainstay: Airborne - Speed.  It has 400 views after 8 years online so deffo counts as not well known :lol:

It's produced by one of those types who have a hundred aliases which they use to spam content on cheap comps.  Normally the musik on such comps is substandard, but I would classify this one as very good...not among the classics or the greatest, but will fit nicely in a mix set amongst such:

Oh well I have this DCD too,I can not remember a single track.. perhaps the worst "Goa" sampler I ever bought, yes quite cheap, but....and this track is "okay" but not much more imho. ZYX music normally put out dance+pop, so no wonder they compiled this with not much knowledge of the genre at all.

Funny the label is also located not far away from me, just like Akanoid

On 1/13/2021 at 1:54 PM, Drosophila said:

Alien Project - The First Revelation Part One 

Ah I know that one too and actually remember it well... somewhat chilly tune - but also a bit ruined by these "choir or voice" samples. 

Alien Project reminds on Alien Product darkelectro from Argentinia, they had some nice tunes..

I also clicked on half of the tracks in here and it clicked not for me but some were quite nice in somewhat naive "proto goa" way - if someone knows what I mean, probably not :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/6/2021 at 6:58 PM, Multi-Media said:

I have still an album from Akanoid, but it irritated me with some vocals, seems they went more to synthpop on that one. In fact I like some synth-wave-pop but Akanoid seemed on the cheesier side of things. Not like old Depeche, Beborn Beton, Wolfsheim or so (from those I like almost all "older" works).
I always somehow associate Akanoid with Element, I believe later Element tracks also had some kind of vox and both are from Germany. Transform album however has some kewl tracks.

(...)

Here a link for Akanoid (ger):

https://www.backstagepro.de/akanoid

Brings back memories not only was I right they went synthpop, vox and guitars - but also the new label from them was Echozone., I know this one well, when I was writing for a "dark scene/Indus/ebm/synth etc" magazine, the Echozone stuff mostly was quite poppy so was not to thrilled getting promos from this label (tbh). I even know the metalband from one of the members "Dark Millennium"

Here the CD I have: https://www.discogs.com/de/Akanoid-Metamorphin/release/341867

Ha, I am just listening to Akanoid again, thought I'd mention them in this thread - but I was happy to find out that they already are named. That is good, I like when more people know them! You also brought in some facts I didn't know.

I also remember @Tatsu mentioning "Instant Summer" somewhere, which is a great album by Akanoid and some say it's their best.

The album you have must be Cocktail Pop, right? That was the first on Echozone.
Or it was Civil Demon ... but on that one, they left pretty much everything that connected them to the psytrance world. It's a pity, because their old tracks really had good potential ... yes, they were not always perfect, but it gave me a really good vibe listening to them...

Apparently they are still around (20th anniversary in 2019 - just before Psynews), but their last work "Noi" is 5 years old and I remember that I listened to it, it had nothing of the old style :(

On 2/6/2021 at 7:17 PM, Multi-Media said:

Oh WTF up to 1:50 this sounded promising :( They surely know how to put irritating stuff in their songs :)

See, I have to admit I really like what they did there at 1:50 ... it feels pleasant to me :wub: 

1 minute ago, astralprojection said:

Finally it's on YouTube 

you mean this, right:

And here is the track "Sundance" (not on any album I think): 

Oh WTF up to 1:50 this sounded promising :( They surely know how to put irritating stuff in their songs :)

:D :D :D

And here is the track "Sundance" (not on any album I think): 

Oh man, you didn't like that melody at 1.50? :o:(

I never heard country guitar mixed with psy before and thought it was really cool. 

^ i agree, i like it's charming fusion. Isn't it a fiddlers violin tho? .. Country guitar, reminds me a bit of Tristan's Lost & Profound.

Anyway, this pretty much unknown Goatrance album is special and has many good tracks worth an attantion https://www.discogs.com/Starseed-A-Million-Hz-Away/release/581149