1. Undercurrent 08:29

2. Northbound 10:13

3. Taiga 08:40

4. Wider Horizons (Album edit) 10:42

5. Kamchatka 08:49

6. Juvenile 09:38

7. Wandering Off... 10:21

8. Cassiopeia 07:12

Lauge is Henrik Laugesen, an ambient producer from Denmark. This is his first psy-prog album for Iboga, and it's pretty darn good. The melodies are lush and those basslines are thick. It's not surprising, as Iboga is always the mark of high quality. Of course, there are some boring releases in the Iboga's catalog, but fortunately, Dawn by Lauge is far from being boring.

REVIEW

1. Undercurrent 08:29

Slow beats merge with epic melodies in this opening track. Sounds very promising and inspiring. It's a strong start and I can already feel that this album is going to be quite a journey.

4/5

2. Northbound 10:13

I'm sure this will sound like a cliche, but listening to this track makes you feel like floating in the sky. It's super airy and dreamy. But it does get a bit more intense closer to the middle.

The breakdown in the middle introduces some very gentle, almost transparent strings that add extra dimension to the melodic element of the track. As a result, the entire second half sounds really beautiful. If there is progressive heaven, this is it.

5/5

3. Taiga 08:40

Here is another slow builder. But unfortunately it doesn't build up to anything significant. This is quite a subpar track in comparison to the first two openers.

3/5

4. Wider Horizons (Album edit) 10:42

The beginning of the track feels really tight and engaging. Then, some fine synths enter the scene and launch the track into the stratosphere.

The first breakdown happens at around 6 minutes just to let the listener take a breath. But then it hits once again reminding you just how powerful this whole piece can be. Definitely one of the best tracks on the album.

5/5

5. Kamchatka 08:49

I love how this track starts. Super mysterious with deep voices, very dramatic. Too bad there is no interesting progression to follow. I'm a bit disappointed, because that intro was incredible. Oh well...

3/5

6. Juvenile 09:38

So many producers these days have the tendency to put filler tracks in their albums, and Juvenile is the definition of a filler. It's not bad enough to completely dismiss it, but it also isn't good enough to put it in high regard.

Although, I have to say that the second part has something interesting going on, it's still not enough to rate it more than an above average track.

3/5

7. Wandering Off... 10:21

A this point I just needed something good. And my wish came true. Wandering Off is a gorgeous piece of music with a fascinating melody and progression.

Lauge gives enough time for a listener to soak in every single tone shift, and I am really grateful for that. This is a feel-good track of the album.

4/5

8. Cassiopeia 07:12

The closing track of the album is a very fine chill-out piece. It is nothing extraordinary, but it works well and finishes things off in a classic way.

4/5

---

Dawn by Lauge is a very strong progressive album with some amazing tracks. There are a few filler tracks as well, but what album these days doesn't have them.

The best tracks on the album are Northbound and Wider Horizons. These two stand out from the rest due to their sheer emotional power. Of course, I wish that all tracks would have such an effect on me, but that's probably not possible. I just know that I will be listening to those two many times and never get tired.

4/5

• 5 months later...

An amazing album, keeps growing on me!  One of the best this year for me. I cannot help feel a heavy inspiration from CBL and the likes, well like a a beefed up version of CBL :ph34r: I love IT. 

I wouldn't classify this as progressive (even though it is released on Iboga), more like deep trance (in the vein of Perfect Blind)...