1. Exotic Soup 06:53

2. Trippling peak. 10:15

3. Cell Tower Suntan. 06:15

4. Luminata 06:30

5. Careful with that bronze age burial mound 09:55

6. Mycelium messiah complex 07:39

7. Stranger on the not sure 08:02

8. Organic Mechanic 16:40

Organismic is a British psychill duo consisting of Craig Musham and Simon Lord. This is their first official album, but they had previously released tracks on compilations at Interchill Records and Liquid Records. The album has a fantastic cover art, very original. But what about the music?

Well, there are some parts of the album that work very well, and others not that much. But it's my personal opinion, so in order to understand the album better, here's a track-by-track breakdown of Primordial Super Fly.

REVIEW

1. Exotic Soup 06:53

The first piece on the album is very slow and mysterious. I like the beats a lot, they're thin and jumpy. Actually, everything sounds very pleasing here.

Too bad there is no actual theme of the track that you could follow, and it's a bit all over the place, but it will do just fine for an opening track.

3/5

2. Trippling peak. 10:15

Another slow start, but this time with a melodic element. The first beats can be heard at around 3 minute mark and a new element appears: a wobbly dubstep bassline, and it's completely disoriented in a good way. That's really creative, I like it.

In the second half Organismic adds an acoustic guitar to the piece, which adds a bit of sentimentality to it. It also contrasts with the harsh bassy background, but again it all sounds harmonious and in no way ruins the track. I'm happy to rate this track high enough.

4/5

3. Cell Tower Suntan. 06:15

I'm having a hard time understanding this one. It's got lots of weird sounds and effects, but it doesn't go anywhere. The track is stylish and definitely interesting, but ultimately meaningless.

3/5

4. Luminata 06:30

I don't know why but Luminata strongly reminds me of Aphex Twin's older productions. It's not a fast track, but the way beats develop are reminiscent of Richard's style. It's as if someone took an AFX record and slowed it down. I like it.

4/5

5. Careful with that bronze age burial mound 09:55

Strange title to a strange track. It starts off with a nice flute, and then it drowns into nothingness and never returns. That flute set something up, but then it loses its way and for the rest of the pretty long track it gives us nothing but hints of that introductory melody.

As a whole the track isn't bad, just puzzling.

3/5

6. Mycelium messiah complex 07:39

Not a bad second half, but the first half is way too slow and boring for me. And again there is no distinct theme here, just sketches.

2/5

7. Stranger on the not sure 08:02

Floaty and swirly at the same time, track #7 is trippy and, to my surprise, quite relaxing. This is probably the most orthodox piece on the entire album. But I still like my psychill a bit more meaty and juicy, so can't rate this too high.

3/5

8. Organic Mechanic 16:40  

The last track is pure ambient with no rhythm whatsoever. Maybe I'm the wrong person to evaluate it, because this kind of beatless, spacey stuff isn't my thing at all, but I could barely finish it.

1/5

---

Primordial Super Fly isn't a bad album, it is above average. I would say that this was a decent effort with some interesting concepts, and I really like the overall style of the album. I only wish it was more consistent with those ideas and didn't waste time on 16 minute long beatless soundscapes. But that's only my personal gripe.

The two best tracks on the album are Trippling Peak and Luminata. Both of them were great and really show the talent behind Organismic. But I still have to consider the rest of the tracks that were not on the same level. So my rating is:

3/5