1. Lunar Core
2. Neura
3. Secrets of the Atom
4. Moksha
5. Convergent Images
6. Metalucid
7. Innerscape
8. Lightswitch

Psylent Buddhi is an extremely talented and unlucky oldschool producer: all his precious work from the 90’s was lost. Fortunately, some dedicated goa enthusiasts managed to minutely recollect the tunes he’d shared before his disk crash, and 20 years later you can finally enjoy his wonderful works!

Many on this board are familiar with these tracks, I personally was not. The hype surrounding this release made me a little scared that it would not live up to the hype, at least for my personal taste.
But what I discovered was really my thing. The Old is Gold adage sounds overstated, however it often proves to be right, and with this album I can agree, these old tracks are wonderful, full of enthusiasm, full of energy. 
The music is fast, acid, with risk-taking, it was compared to Green nuns of the revolution, I would also compare it to Cosmosis, it is more messy though, but extremely enjoyable and truly psychedelic. Superb material for dancefloors or home listening. The originality and harmonic quality of this release is not to be underestimated in my opinion.
Another strong point is that the tracks sound distinct to each other, it is not too homogeneous, and the overall sound is audacious and has strong personality, 
And in comparison with a lot of other goa artists in this era, Psylent Buddhi puts a lot of attention on the basslines. The basslines hit hard and are an important element of the tracks.
If I had to find a weakness I would say the music sounds a bit messy and noisy at times, it's not a big deal though. Overall I cannot neglect the fantastic effort and high energy that sets the theme of this album. This is fantastic news for the scene to see this album finally released.

Rating: 8/10.

To buy:
https://suntriprecords.bandcamp.com/
https://www.suntriprecords.com/product/item/SUNCD53/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very psychedelic.  Juicy squelches, searing leads, and plenty of concussive force.  Moksha and Convergent Images are pure scorched earth monsters that made the Pleiadians arch an eyebrow.  The last bit went out with a whimper in my opinion.  Would've liked to have seen Retrocede or In The Stream finish out the album.

All things considered it's definitely a  winner.

Long awaited album and it is great, but no masterpiece overall, but with some masterpieces.

Luna Core is very atmospheric with his sound of a mystic flute and reverb. Neura reminds me at his climax on Moksha (maybe the chords are similar). Good anticipation. The first to track are a good warm up. With Secret of the Atoms the acidstorm begins. :-) The follow-ups Moskha and Convergent Images are the classics and masterpieces of the album. Pure bliss! :-) Acidic, chaotic, psychedelic, aggressive melodic (very nice melodies, especially Convergent Images) mastertunes. The dancefloor is burning. :-) Secret of the Atoms, Moskha and Convergent Images are the best tracks of the album. Metalucid is the perfect coming down. This six tracks work perfect together. Until here it is one album for me.

The last two tracks are different and fall out of the concept. More music for the morning, i think. Innerscape reminds me on Astral Projection. Hmm its a boring track. The melodies are medicore. Lightswitch is better. The Bassline reminds me on Doof (Star Above Parvati). I like the glassy sounded fx. Its a good track. Maybe the better way would be to close the album with In the Stream or/and Winter Tickle. Then the album would be a masterpiece for me.

8/10

• 5 months later...

I just found Innerscape on yotube and I think it's quite nice, i like such smooth melodies and cosmic synths. Can't say it's an outstanding track, the melodies are somehow linear and predictable, but a still a nice example of my preferred kind of goa.

I understand from the reviews I shouldn't bother listening to other tracks," chaotic, agressive, pure scorched earth monster" etc are typically bad qualities in my book.  

• 1 month later...

Just received it and playing at home.
Very trippy agressive, distorted, night-time goa. Unexpectedly good!

The only thing strange seems to be that the tracks end abruptly. There's a nice atmoshpere or a nice overall build up but the end of tracks seems sometimes lackluster.

Still very good.

• 2 months later...

How can you not be dancing to this album. Newcomer here, but long time goa-head. I have had 3 goawakenings in my life: the first was while listening to Hallucinogen's the Lone Deranger while biking to and from work every day in summer 2008. The second was in 2009 listening to "Hammerhead" and "Book of Eden" from Chi-A.D.'s Earth Crossing like a bajillion times in a row. The third is today, listening to the Psylent Buddhi album.

I've been listening to assorted releases from 2017->forward for the past two days and am so glad I stumbled on this. Forget ballpark, this is in an entirely different sport from what I've been listening to. Electromagnetic bass lines and smooth, metallic synths hover patiently while something is done to the stereo field that is pretty much impossible to describe but just feels so right.

Now, before you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm aware of that. I haven't used headphones, especially good headphones, enough to have a proper frame of reference to what goa is supposed to sound like. Thinking back now, I have heard similar quality in much of the music I _have_ listened to on headphones, including the aforementioned artists, as well as:

Infinity Project, Green Nuns of the Revolution, Etnica, Electric Universe, Prometheus, Dimension 5, S>Range, Koxbox, and of course innumerable others that just aren't coming to mind at the moment. Sorry about that.

I think I get it now. This is what goa should always sound like. Maybe I just haven't been listening right. If that's the case, you can (maybe) expect me back on other review threads to throw in my 2€. Regardless, I will be listening to a lot of Psylent Buddhi while I feel out the rest of what goa _really_ has to offer. It has earned that place in my pantheon of regulars, and time will only two how many giants it will unseat.

Something about this album... it is so meditative, so introspective, so electrifying that I can't shake it. To think that this was created in the 90s, and here I am thinking this is the cutting edge of modern music... I might have heard this artist on a compilation before, and I'm sure I appreciated what I heard, but nothing has ever sounded like this. It makes me want to jump, and twirl, and dab (not that kind of dab, thanks but no thanks) and laugh to the beauty of what it means to be a human. We are so lucky that we get to be here and have this, and I just want to be sure I never take this treasure for granted. These beats go on, and on, and... om.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phluff said:

I think I get it now. This is what goa should always sound like. Maybe I just haven't been listening right. If that's the case, you can (maybe) expect me back on other review threads to throw in my 2€. Regardless, I will be listening to a lot of Psylent Buddhi while I feel out the rest of what goa _really_ has to offer. It has earned that place in my pantheon of regulars, and time will only two how many giants it will unseat

No disagreement from most of us, your 1.71 Sterling is welcome. 

Your reference albums are spot on too. The way you describe this album is exactly how i feel about Chi A.D Earth Crossing. The sort of album that makes you wonder if you are going to be able to enjoy another album ever again. Well I had the same thing when I first listened to Moksha, I didn't think I was ever going to find a Goa trance track exciting again. Luckily I still hadn't listened to Howling at the Moon at that point.  

I find it hard to believe that Psylent Buddhi didn't have the acclaim that Pleiadians, Cosmosis, Astral Projection etc had. 

3 hours ago, Tsotsi said:

No disagreement from most of us, your 1.71 Sterling is welcome. 

... when I first listened to Moksha, I didn't think I was ever going to find a Goa trance track exciting again. Luckily I still hadn't listened to Howling at the Moon at that point.  

I find it hard to believe that Psylent Buddhi didn't have the acclaim that Pleiadians, Cosmosis, Astral Projection etc had. 

(Edited to acknowledge receipt of my 2€)

And i laughed out loud when i read "howling at the moon." I'll go listen to that right... now.

Ok. Yeah, their craft is bar none. I've been searching out something else that makes my stereo field feel as... stretched... as this album did. As with all of my goawakenings© I am hearing everything in a new way, since ultimately what happened was that this album opened up a new space in my listening for new music to fill. Like there was a spot in the mix that I'd never dialed into, and once I'd first noticed it, I now hear it in everything. That's what happened with "Hammerhead" and "Book of Eden," and that's what happened the moment I started playing "Neura" off of this album. There's just this whole new dimension.

Anyway, thanks, Psylent Buddhi! You miracle worker, you! I hope you're partying with the Green Nuns somewhere ;)

Actually, the reason why Psylent Buddhi never got any real praise is because his music was made at the wrong moment... These tracks were all created between 1997-2003. And when they were send to labels, there were no goa-trance labels left. Actually, it got a bit of praise because of psynews! He posted some of the tracks here and they became kind of legendary, that is exactly the reason why we went after him to re-release... His email was still the same as the one he used for registering here :) 
But yes, I agree, Convergent Images and Moksha are for me among the best tracks ever made!

• 2 months later...

I'm revisiting this album and luckily I did!
My first impression was an old school feeling that was too old school.
But listening to it a couple of times and in deep, i's really enjoyable.
Quality story telling and some highly psychedelic tracks.
I've decided to put it in my top 10 of 2019. yep! :D

• 1 month later...

Totally missed this one, extremely curious to listen to it. The album artwork alone was what sparked my interest. It's a really beautiful cover! Which according to discogs is made by gasolin3 which I think is a member here? The story behind the album, and its psynews connection made me curious as well. Seems like a real goa archaeological effort has been made. 

And it touches upon some things I've been thinking about lately, regarding the nature of goa collectors/collecting, and how the mediums have changed. How also more modern digital releases might become rare in the future, due to how music that has once been shared for free online, will eventually disappear. Just try to look for some stuff which was shared by artists here on psynews for over 10 years ago and you'll know what I mean. Dead links to previously popular sharing sites like rapidshare and the likes, are commonplace. 

It's like stuff online has a shelf-life of around 10 years, companies/labels/platforms fold, links die, people move on and technologies change. Which I think has changed the very the nature of how goa collectors operate. They might previously have chased DAT tapes, demo CDR etc. Collectors who might be interested in the era between 2000/2020, will have to rely more on the internet, luck and connections. And to a leasser degree, to finding actual physical media to extract tracks from. Even if that shouldn't be ruled out either. 

Perhaps in the future, the scene release groups will be among the few reliable conservators of some lost unreleased gems. Kind of crazy that some of these groups actually release stuff that was released for free here on psynews in the free music promotion section. But at the same time it makes sense. There have been some stellar music shared here over the years.

2 hours ago, AstralSphinx said:

Totally missed this one, extremely curious to listen to it. The album artwork alone was what sparked my interest. It's a really beautiful cover! Which according to discogs is made by gasolin3 which I think is a member here?

Yes thats me. :P

Absolutely adore this music. Was great hearing moksha live when Anoebis visited Finland last time.

• Like 1

Ah now I get where I recognized Gasolin3 from, it was from your avatar :D I was thinking that it was a user name around here.

@Penzoline what software did you use for the metallic atom render? I got some ideas I wanna try. :) Or did you use a free render? It reminds me a bit of the Atomium monument in Brussels/Belgium. ^_^ You really made a clean classic looking cover. It reminds me of the best stuff from the old school era. I appreciate that it's not overloaded with stuff, it's simple and elegant. A very clear timeless vision.

Listening to Lunar Core! Amazing atmosphere, it's just the right balance of mystic and dark, without becoming too dark. Good 303 work, it has a bit of the Crop Circles/Pleiadians cosmic dark goa vibes going indeed. The background pads are very entrancing/hypnotic. The lush reverbs are lovely, and add extra refinement to the textures of the squeelchy, heavily modulated leads.

They manage to create a very intense sensation, without the use of too fast tempos or hectic arps/melodies (the usual cheap tricks utilized). The intensity is in the way they introduce the the separate elements and how they tweak them to keep it engaging. And how the composition is quite monotone in the harmonic comparment, it's not full of random nonsensical melodies. And  to some extent I think it has to do with keeping some patterns repeating like a mantra for a long while. So that it really gets stuck in your head. :) The pads for example are not there to add key changes or harmonic progression, rather to complement as a drone and atmospheric device.

How this track didn't get relased on a major compilation back in the day is beyond comprehension. This track would most certainly have fitted on Goa-Head or any other type of goa compilation. The most similar music I've heard to Lunar Core is really some stuff on the Crop Circles-Tetrahedron album, but it still has something very unique which isn't found on the Tetrahedron album, or any other album I can think off. The similiarities with Crop Circles/Pleiadians is in the groove and overall atmosphere/mood, not a similarity in actual melodies or composition. And sometimes in the way the leads are modulated. 

The atmosphere is palpable and perhaps the music is inspired by the same type of experiences as those Crop-Circls/Pleiadians might've had? B) Overall a really pleasant surprise, I didn't expect to hear something as alienesque as this in 2020. Anyone who knows precisely which year Lunar Core was composed?