3. Goasana (Album Version) 06:10

4. Beyond Borders Of Mind 06:37

5. Temple Of Sound 08:08

6. Calling The Tribe 06:43

7. Explorer Of The Fantasy Worlds 06:42

8. Connection With The Great Spirit 06:20

9. Sun Of Anjuna 07:30

10. Electric Particles (Album Version) 05:10

Maiia303 is the project of a young Russian lady Alla Vagner. This is her second album. The first one was released at Ovnimoon Records in 2014. I am not familiar with the sound of Maiia, so this is a new territory for me.

The album delves into the newschool Goa trance sound and with a great success I must say. Most of the tracks here use the acid 303 sounds in some rather creative ways, but there is a heavy dose of classic Goa synth melodies, too. So let's have a closer inspection of what this album can offer.

REVIEW

1. Long Awaited Journey 07:56

The opening track starts in a rather uneventful manner and gradually gains intensity with more and more sounds being introduced. The first breakdown hints on the lead melody, but doesn't reveal it. You know it's coming, but the artist keeps you waiting and maintains just enough pressure before the second breakdown. Unfortunately, there is no real payoff in the end.

It's a good intro track, but no more than that.

3/5

2. Levels Of Imagination 07:56

The second track immediately shows that it has more drive than the first one. Around 2 minute mark the track explodes with a screaming 303, which is followed by the first breakdown. I really wish that part was a bit longer, but after some time the 303 returns in a slightly different form, which changes throughout.

I quite enjoy this track. It's a proper dancefloor material, and it's actually interesting to listen to.

4/5

3. Goasana (Album Version) 06:10

I've noticed at this point that Maiia tends to start her tracks in a similar fashion. We have the already familiar 303 here, which is then replaced with a classic Goa melody and a murky vocal chant.

The track intensifies in the second part and even gets a bit dark, but then a light and beautiful melody strikes out of nowhere. It's a neat combination, and I really like when producers combine dark and light elements in a track. This is another solid production from Maiia.

4/5

4. Beyond Borders Of Mind 06:37

Track #4 starts in a very dramatic fashion. It's a slight change of pace from the previous three tracks, which is nice. The dramatic theme follows through until the very middle of the track. Too bad the track doesn't go anywhere from there. There are some effects here and there, but in general it's quite dull.

I'm not a fan of this track, but it ain't terribly bad either.

3/5

5. Temple Of Sound 08:08

The central track of the album starts with some chugging beats and bassy sounds. The intensity gradually rises with some fine synths that make the whole track sound very appealing. During the first breakdown Maiia introduces a chopped up vocal sample that helps build the pressure even more.

The last third of the track brings back some 303 once again. Then, the track ends without any actual payoff, which is a bit disappointing as the first part of the track was really promising. Oh well, it was still enjoyable.

4/5

6. Calling The Tribe 06:43

I'm not sure what Maiia does differently on this one, but the production feels really mellow this time around. It's a classical Goa track with high BPM, and yet it feels really chilly. Probably it has something to do with the melody or the bassline. I still can't put my finger on it.

It's definitely a distinctive track, and I really like that bassline.

4/5

7. Explorer Of The Fantasy Worlds 06:42

Finally, a track that I could really appreciate. I've been a bit underwhelmed by the first half of the album, but Maiia really shows some skills here. All elements of the track are dynamic and exciting. It's almost 7 minutes long, but I couldn't tell. This is definitely the winner of the album for me.

5/5

8. Connection With The Great Spirit 06:20

Track #8 packs some punch from the get-go, which is a nice change of pace after a series of really moody pieces. DJs should really take note of this one. It's made for firing up dancefloors!

I'm happy to add another excellent Goa track to my collection.

5/5

9. Sun Of Anjuna 07:30

After two extremely well-made tracks comes another great piece with a slightly aggressive synth work. I really like the breakdown that comes after. It sets the mood for something very mysterious and almost menacing. Then, a brighter melody enters and shakes things up.

This is another excellent track by Maiia. It has the dynamics and the energy similar to track #7, which I liked a lot.

5/5

10. Electric Particles (Album Version) 05:10

The final track is much shorter and clearly an edited version of a very good piece of work. I'm not sure why Maiia decided to cram all her best stuff at the bottom of the album, but that's how it is.

This track is obviously very good but ends abruptly. So due to its short running time I have to cut the rating, too.

4/5

---

The first half of the album put me off a bit, since it was really mellow and it kinda dragged a bit too much for my liking. Somewhere in the middle of the album I got worried that I might not end up liking it. However, the second half saves the whole thing and that's where the best tracks are concentrated.

Tracks 7, 8, 9 are the best. If you care to listen to Maiia at all, but don't have more than 20 minutes, this would be a perfect trifecta. The entire album rests on these three pieces. And the overall rating is:

4/5

Levels of Imagination is a very solid newschool Goa album with some great tracks made for both your bedroom and local dancefloors.