Katedra - We Are Not Alone (Global Sect Music, 2019)

Katedra - We Are Not Alone (Global Sect Music, 2019) 

Listen 2 tracks & Pre-orders СD & Merch: https://globalsect.bandcamp.com/album/katedra-we-are-not-alone

Cover.png

Human civilization, gradually overcoming the difficulties of evolutionary development, enters a new space age for itself. Very soon we will begin to explore the space of the Solar System and rush beyond its borders towards the Far Worlds. 

What secrets have a cold and unexplored Cosmos prepared for us? Will we be able to find a new home or make first contact with intelligent life? 

These questions still have to get answers to our descendants, but already now, looking at the starry sky late at night, in the mind, sometimes, there is a feeling:  

We are not alone... 

51138309-819647505100723-594927735139205

After several years of creative process, we are pleased to present to you the debut album of Ukrainian musician Ostap Hirnyak. This disc is literally saturated with alien goa-trance vibrations and will send you on an unforgettable space journey to other worlds and life forms. 

"I am grateful to all the friends who helped and supported me throughout my creative activity." 

(с) Katedra 

Tracklist: 

01. The MoonShip (mix 2019)
02. First Contact 
03. Ring of Fire 
04. Nagual 
05. You Are Not Alone 
06. Alienated Hallucination 
07. Radiointerference (mix 2019)
08. The Edge Of Spaces 

Cover art: Ahankara Art & Andrei Verner 
Mastering & Mixing: One Day Mastering Studio 
Release date: 25 march 
Released by Global Sect Music. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Imba said:

Loving it and can't wait!

Loving his music for almost 10 years now and we even made a collab long ago 'Magic Science & Imba - Ghost Town' where he was one half of Magic Science. Good luck with album! :wub:

Thank you for the story bro  :)

My story is: I was going to Siberia, to play on 3 festivals, in 2014. Organizers asked me to play on chill stage too. 

I was thinking that it's ok, but I want to play downtempo goa trance vibes, and in this time Ostap sent me some tracks. I can say truth, I didn't like it so much after first listening, because sounds very strange, but I burn CDs because I didn't have many alternatives and time. 

So, I played on main stage and after that I went down from this location to chill stage and think: okay, I will just play something and go relax with friends. But when I started to play, something very strange started to happen. People that were just sitting before, started dancing and vibrations from music were very cosmic. I saw big interest in eyes of people. 

After this trip I returned to Moscow and made offer to Ostap to release his album. But, last 5 years I was very busy with another releases and Ostap was not fast too, he continued experiments. 

I like this release very much, because its unique music with dark alien vibrations and it can be soundtrack for movies like Alien maby. 

Here you can see video from one of this 3 festivals:

10 minutes ago, Richpa said:

I had a opportunity to release him six year ago, really good artist with distinctive music-style. Looking forward!

Yes cool track, i know it very good and was play it before release :)

Sky Technology very cool guy too

3 Ukranian guys work on this album: Ostap, Dimitro Zymosis (mastering, mixing) and Ahankara

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2019 at 10:21 PM, GS Concept said:

OUT NOW !!!

Sad to say this, but it's really difficult to listen to it - this has got to have the worst mastering in years: the bass is very boomy, the mids are non-existent and high-end is very week. Overall it sounds very hollow, like if I was standing outside of a club and heard the music through the walls and corridors. Because of this I can't really say anything about the music itself, since I can't focus on it at all :(

I should really demand my money back, because such thing shouldn't be released in 2019 :(

23 hours ago, antic604 said:

Sad to say this, but it's really difficult to listen to it - this has got to have the worst mastering in years: the bass is very boomy, the mids are non-existent and high-end is very week. Overall it sounds very hollow, like if I was standing outside of a club and heard the music through the walls and corridors. Because of this I can't really say anything about the music itself, since I can't focus on it at all :(

global sect is often an insta-buy for me, but i passed this time after listening to the samples. exactly because the sound quality imho isn't up to standard with this release. though i don't think that the mastering is necessarily at fault here. even the best mastering cannot fix a bad mix. it's a shame because the music is probably pretty good.

Hmm, listening on bandcamp I can not say for sure how the production quality really is... Now I am afraid to find out. Not sure, if I want to risk to listening the lossless files with my really good Headphones with a really good DAP (Digital Audio Player). Normally the music from Global Sect has a very good production quality.

The range of the bpm is high (maybe from 120 to 145), so this ist for me a bit confusing... Deeptrance or Goatrance? Slow or fast? Both...

EDIT: Music ist good, very nice Goatrance. But quality ist not good (for 2019!). Bandcamp quality does not improve much when downloading it in better quality. But good enough to feel the good energy and vibes... I like the music but I dont like the sounding.

It's fatiguing on the ears very much like old Filteria, though it's way more boomy. I've yet to form a proper opinion if I like it or not. On paper it's fucking cool.

Edit: There's no question the boominess was deliberate to increase the depth in the production for that very apparent spaced out maximal sonic feeling you get when listening it, but I have to agree that thing is kind of overdone. Turning down the volume the bass becomes just too heavy. This is the first time I've actually wanted to turn down bass in EQ. Esp in track like Ring Of Fire it's a little botched. Then again this probably sounds full even on tinny soundsystems. Honestly though when paying attention (i.e. close your eyes and fly away) the sound separation is pretty good.

So guys, thank you for comments.

Between special style of mixing and bad quality very big different. If you listen balance of kickbass, leads, percussion and effects you will see harmony. I am serious really, its special but not "bad". 

Its experimental goa trance. We work with cool sound engineer and can make with sound many things. If add frequencies and make sound more "standart" this music lost this special spirit. So we just support original idea of music maker. 

Some people very enjoy and think that its genius album and something new, some people think that its unreal shit. Many discussions on other sites too.   

I am from first group, i very like this sound. I think its first our underground release. Full support to Katedra, we will continue work and prepare new music. Katedra give us idea about new compilation.  

I recommend give time to this release, because mind need adaptation. It was with me too when i start work with Katedra.   

• Like 1

Well Filteria sounds on the opposite spectrum of being too tinny.

2 hours ago, GS Concept said:

. If you listen balance of kickbass, leads, percussion and effects you will see harmony.

I agree with this. Though I still feel like the bass has been a little overdone - I mean I don't think it's a lot, but it's definitely too much.

I do really like how this sound fills up the space regardless of the overdone bass (which can be compensated). Only psytrance does that sometimes with the thumping deep kicks and basslines.

2 hours ago, Redo said:

New school goa sounds like trash compared to psytrance production wise.

I agree and I don't really understand why.

57 minutes ago, Penzoline said:

I agree and I don't really understand why.

Maybe because top-notch sound production is the end-goal in itself.

(edit: not trolling!)

edit2: Also, gave the samples a listen, this is definitely going on my to-buy list, cool stuff !

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Proxeeus said:

Maybe because top-notch sound production is the end-goal in itself.

(edit: not trolling!)

Modern Psytrance tracks are mostly based on kick/bass, fxs, so it's much easier to create clean and well balanced mixes. Goa trance is mostly based on melodies and layering, thus high level of production skills is needed to create top sounding tracks. Easy as that. 

1 hour ago, Fiery said:

Modern Psytrance tracks are mostly based on kick/bass, fxs, so it's much easier to create clean and well balanced mixes. Goa trance is mostly based on melodies and layering, thus high level of production skills is needed to create top sounding tracks. Easy as that. 

So you're telling me it depends on sub-genre it self instead of someones individual knowledge, skill and competency?

I strongly disagree, mostly because we are getting a lot of demos that can be seen or defined as ''Modern Psytrance'' (not sure why, but young and upcoming music producers tend to send their music on different labels) and I can tell you as someone who had the oportunity to hear a bunch of unreleased music that there is no difference between Goa or Modern Psytrance. However, there are some elements that could give us more precise answer to that:

1) Equipment and gear - it's not the same thing to make music on 100 EUR, 500 EUR or 5000 EUR equipment.
2) Skill and competence in music production - people aren't making music the same way, someone tends to spend 10 years working on the album, sound and concept, someone releases full lenght album per year.
3) Being a part of a group/movement/genre/whatever - some Goa producers tend to copy their idols from the past by recreating the certain style of sound and in many cases it has to be oldschool to the bone by default. Low-quality production is the price they're paying in that process. There are many opposite examples as well, so it depends (once again) on the individual approach.

For the sake of discussion and Katedra's and Global Sect new release, let's not generalise things.

As far as I know Zymosis is well-known producer and musician who got long time presence on the scene and maybe the issue here is mixing of the record, not mastering? I haven't heard the album yet, so I won't make any conclusions, but it happens sometimes that actual mixdown can f*ck up whole sound image of the release.

4 minutes ago, Richpa said:

So you're telling me it depends on sub-genre it self instead of someones individual knowledge, skill and competency?

I strongly disagree, mostly because we are getting a lot of demos that can be seen or defined as ''Modern Psytrance'' (not sure why, but young and upcoming music producers tend to send their music on different labels) and I can tell you as someone who had the oportunity to hear a bunch of unreleased music that there is no difference between Goa or Modern Psytrance. However, there are some elements that could give us more precise answer to that:

I wrote the same, but you argue with me about very obvious things.  The fact is that a complex music is much harder to make sound good.. 

Once again, there is nothing complex in Goa trance music that puts it on some pedestal within psychedelic trance scene. It's the individual thing/approach, on one side you got the rules on how to mix music on the other hand you got the different levels of knowledge, dedication and equipment on which you're accomplishing thoose things with (obviously) different results. I don't see Goa being more complex to make it sound good than regular psytrance music or forest or zenonesque or nitzhogoa.

2 hours ago, Fiery said:

I can't really agree with this sentiment. For example lot's of psytrance has segments that are absolutely bonkers in complexity and they still sound a helluva more vivid than goatrance.

i.e. a part like this

https://youtu.be/OIlOfXvL8m8?t=352

41 minutes ago, Penzoline said:

I can't really agree with this sentiment. For example lot's of psytrance has segments that are absolutely bonkers in complexity and they still sound a helluva more vivid than goatrance.

i.e. a part like this

https://youtu.be/OIlOfXvL8m8?t=352

A kick, a melodic bassline (and a cool one at that), one modulated synth line following the same melody, a "riser" FX leading to the break. Vocal sample, then re kick bass melody. All in all, very few sounds (again, not saying that in a negative way) which leaves plenty of space in the audio spectrum to make all those parts sound absolutely, monstrously GOOD together.

Take modern goa and its "wall of sound" approach which fills the audio spectrum up to the fucking max and you're way more limited to make each part stand out, since there are so many of them mashed together.

(again, not saying one is "better" than the other, mind you)

Also: heavy layering / "wall of sound" shouldn't be mistaken for complexity, imho. It's simply another approach.

edit: this should be a topic of its own actually :P the thread got kinda derailed

• Like 1

i totally agree with proxeeus. 

the focus is different. in psytrance you have lots of space in the mix (which also allows for delays and reverbs to have their full effect). but for this to sound good and professional every single element have to sound good on its own. for goatrance you can get away with some elements sounding so-so, because there are many different ones that also demand the attention of the listener. on the other hand you have to get all those layers to sit together nicely in the mix, which ime is A LOT more difficult. you have to compromise between the leads sounding thin and tinny and the leads clashing with each other and the bassline. there is simply not enough space in the audio spectrum to make too many of these elements sound huge.

since i find it a lot easier to get psytrance to sound more-or-less professional compared to goa trance i have huge respect for artists like artifact303, filteria, e-mantra, hypnoxock, median project, … who achieve such a good sound with goa trance.

• Like 1