Listening to my entire collection

thanosp81

Entry #41

1994 A year that seemed every Jungle track coming out was at the very least, good. And the next compilation series is proof of that. A bargain bin series, with cheap cover but not cheap music. Including some well known tracks and some not so well, but no bad tracks whatsoever. I'm always in for a bargain :)

57538104_2280063618919651_50524537386445

Entry #42

Oh boy, am I going to regret this. I'm talking about Altar Records and their extensive catalogue. Some months ago I was able to purchase a big chunk of their releases for a pound each. Thankfully I didn't pay more.
When Altar Records was starting I saw it (and probably more) as a substitute for Ultimae Records which was quite clearly changing musical direction. And it was alright at first, but then it became too much to handle.
Don't get me wrong, the releases are not that bad, but they are so formulaic and derivative that you think you have one disc on infinite repeat. There are some exceptions here and there, but they are lot in the sheer number of releases.
If they could focus their creative power and energy to only the best of the released tracks we would be talking about a worthy successor of Ultimae by now.

So let's start and get over it.

Not even the mighty Asura can save the day. At least put a frikin tracklist so we don't have to check Discogs every time.

57240559_2280070635585616_20417199151272

• 5 weeks later...

Entry #48

Hmm, I should have paid more attention to Akshan. After so many releases on Altair that's the one that made me to pause and have a search on the internet about him.

61219330_2306137739645572_21806763621492

Entry #51

One of the most promising and high quality modern Psychedelic Trance labels. Skilfully combining the Oldschool and modern Psychedelic with a dark twist. What we used to call back then as European Psychedelic, isn't that right?
Even the covers are so well balanced, psychedelic to the core but without going crazy. Let's hope they will return (that's the plan anyway)
Jaia as always are great and Nervasystem, yeah, what to say about that? True Psychedelia.

61887143_2312666692326010_69240593235511

• Like 1

Entry #52

I think with the last 3 releases is where Anjuna Records peaked.
3Om3 probably the most Goa sounding release of the label. And then you have a compilation of Jamie MoonWeed's tracks. If you like your Goa more acidic, as only a handful of artists used to make back then, then don't look any further. All tracks are excellent.
And for a bittersweet finale you have UX with live versions of his tracks. Wow, powerful stuff.

Anjuna we need you back, just no drama please this time :)

62186986_2312670362325643_29043940925804

Entry #53

I still remember the time. It was summer '96, around 15yo at the time. I was walking back home from the beach and I saw a magazine with an audio cd as a promotion. I was like "WTH?". It wasn't a thing yet back then. Master Output Vol.2, intriguing. And the magazine title "Lemon". who names their magazine lemon. Everything on it screamed Rave. I grabbed it, went home and straight into the cd player.

Oh boy, a greek magazine dedicated to the rave culture, with a cd with greek productions? In the next days i hunted the previous issue (#3) with master output vol. 1. I've never been able to find the first 2 issues unfortunately (if you have them I want them).

Lemon is THE greek magazine for rave culture. Especially the first issues were so..colourful, fresh, exciting, so....rave. It was a true thing. Every issue (except 1, 2 and 5) had a free cd. The first ones only with greek productions but that changed with time.

Master Output Vol. 1 is a great compilation on its own right. It has everything, from Trip Hop (with samples from Ghostbusters coming in just the right point) and ambient to Goa Trance. Yes, Goa. Vol. 2 is a much weaker release but it is worth it just for Electroware's Watching The Cycle Dance. A magically simple downtempo track that still gets me today.64226678_2317928481799831_61133225191612

Memories.

Entry #54

The next 2 releases from Lemon magazine. Special mention goes for Master Output Vol. 3 for the compilation effort. All the tracks fit together nicely having a Dream House/Progressive Trance (as we used to call them back then) feeling. Nothing to get excited about vol. 4, typical club house.

64309679_2318870865038926_45480435151578

On 6/6/2019 at 4:39 PM, thanosp81 said:

Entry #51

One of the most promising and high quality modern Psychedelic Trance labels. Skilfully combining the Oldschool and modern Psychedelic with a dark twist. What we used to call back then as European Psychedelic, isn't that right?
Even the covers are so well balanced, psychedelic to the core but without going crazy. Let's hope they will return (that's the plan anyway)
Jaia as always are great and Nervasystem, yeah, what to say about that? True Psychedelia.

61887143_2312666692326010_69240593235511

Hi, i have juste a question about Anjuna records : you buy this releases direct from the label ? Because on Discg's...it's expensive !

15 hours ago, Fungi said:

Hi, i have juste a question about Anjuna records : you buy this releases direct from the label ? Because on Discg's...it's expensive !

Yeap, bought them as soon as they were released. You can still get them on Bandcamp as downloads if you don't care about cds. :)

On Bandcamp, CD's are still available it seems to be...but i read that some people have problem to buy direct to label...maybe fake news finally ! ;) Thanks for your answer !

47 minutes ago, Fungi said:

On Bandcamp, CD's are still available it seems to be...but i read that some people have problem to buy direct to label...maybe fake news finally ! ;) Thanks for your answer !

They are planning to come back and their Bandcamp page went up relatively recently so I highly doubt they are gonna mess up again. I think the music alone is worth the risk. The worst that can happen is never get your cds and get a refund through paypal. Go for it :)

Entry #55

Continuing with Master Output series. This lot should include Vol.5 as well.But since my LP collection is in Greece it wil have to wait for another day. Yes, you read correctly, LP. The 8th issue of Lemon magazine came with an LP :blink:.

Vol. 6 is quite nice, featuring a Goa track. From Vol. 7 and later you can find a Psychonaut track in each release, maybe the easiest way to obtain their LP releases and if acidic Goa is your thing. At the same time though quality started to suffer with only a couple of tracks in each release being of interest.

64725525_2321003951492284_14169288879793

Entry #57

Let's skip #16 and #17 and go to the interesting stuff straight away.

#18 is an excellent compilation of Junle/Drum&Bass tracks. Except the 2 Hardcore tracks the rest shine. Especially those made by White Label??? Does anyone know anything about this artist? I cannot find any info and his track are too good not to have been properly released somewhere before.

And then you have a Psychedelic trance compilation mixed by Veros, a big name in the greek scene back then. 4 tracks by greek artists and 4 by israeli. A solid comp with one of my all time favourite "Shadows Of The Moon". Psycho Meditation once again proving they had great potential but their output was never massive. The israeli tracks are meh...borderline Nitzonot.

Beautiful cover

64682226_2322499714676041_50669688512042