V/A - Saamisaundi Vol​.​3 (Random Records)

yerg

a2334980004_16.jpg

released January 14, 2019

Compiled by Dark El Kante
Mastered by Joey Dianos @ Lemon Sauce Labs
Artwork by Thomas Duchene

Bandcamp

Tracklist:

1. Lemon Slide - Magic 05:31

2. Mayawa Feat. Kaksneuvonen - Ecstasy Honeymoon 04:17

3. Oraalidonitsi - Emmä Keksi Tälle Nimee 06:19

4. Mussa Kussa - Nobelaner Cowboy 06:18

5. Kyril & Eskobar - Presto 06:00

6. Pavel Svimba Feat. Hauveli - MongoMaggots 04:23

7. ADU - The First Ray Of Sun 05:01

8. Räpylät - Pispalan Valtatie 07:11

9. Anima Animus - Change The World 07:18

10. Texas Faggott - Jorgen Pallit 03:03

11. RRRastas - Kuumotus Maximus 05:26

12. Salakavala - Submarine 07:52

13. Oraalidonitsi - Kikkeli Kakkeli 06:23

14. Boney M - Rasputin (Spuge H Remix)

Suomisaundi has always been one of the most exciting parts of the psytrance scene. This new compilation from Random Records, which focuses on releasing music for charity purposes, is the third in the series that focuses on the preserving the Saami, the Indigenous people of the northern parts of Norway, Sweden, Finland and the Kola Penninsula of Russia. So all the money that will be collected from this release will go to charities that focus on preserving the environment of the Saami ancestral areas.

The motivation behind the compilation is praiseworthy and definitely makes it a worthwhile investment. But besides the idea behind the compilation, I would like to focus on the music itself and see if there is something really great in it. I will not be reviewing every single track simply because there is no need to. Amongst the 14 tracks available on the compilation only six really managed to grab my attention. So I'll just focus on them and make the conclusion at the end of the review.

REVIEW:

3. Oraalidonitsi - Emmä Keksi Tälle Nimee 06:19

What I really like about the Finnish psytrance is the focus on melody, and even if at times it could get a bit on the cheesy side, I still appreciate all the beautiful melodic structures that come in many of these tracks. Track #3 on the compilation is exactly that kind of melodic tune I am so thristy for. It's warm and soulful and takes you on a journey from the very beginning with its elegant plucky guitars and swirling effects in the background.

Somewhere in the middle the melodic element subsides and gives you a time to breathe. Then, in the second part of the track, the guitar returns and offers some more of that warm melodiousness, but this time accompanied by a soft synth and sounds of nature. The structure is simple and effective - exactly the reason why this track has been on repeat since I first heard it.

5. Kyril & Eskobar - Presto 06:00

The playfulness of track #5 by Kyril & Eskobar is what really got me hooked. It juggles several different melodic elements pretty nicely and you never get bored of this circus of instruments that come in and out just to tease you and then disappeare once again. You will hear everything from electric guitar to some sort of jingle bells and even a flute. It's all quite interesting and really flows well despite the number of seemingly incompatible sounds. But Suomisaundi can probably get away with it and still sound great.

The last third of the track introduces an ethnic singing, which greatly reminded me of the old Deep Forest tracks that utilized those vocals to the greatest extent. All in all, Presto is a damn fine track full of inspiration and dancing energy.

7. ADU - The First Ray Of Sun 05:01

Track by ADU is a whole different story. The mood changes drastically here and is all about regretfulness that cannot be satiated. At least that's what I felt when listening to it, and although it's not your typically joyful Suomi track, it has a very distinct sound that I liked a lot. Its feelings are genuine and the artist behind the track is being honest about their intentions, and that is what I can always appreciate in music.

I don't even want to write much about it - just lean back and listen. It'll blow you away!

9. Anima Animus - Change The World 07:18

This one is probably the closest to what people would call a psytrance track. It's getting very intense from the very beginning and doesn't let go until the very end. If I were a DJ, I would play the heck out of this track, especially sometime in the middle of the night when everybody's sweaty and properly aroused. The last minute of it is just incredibly beautiful and powerful.

A proper dance track.

12. Salakavala - Submarine 07:52

Here's an offering from one of my all time favorite Finnish bands Salakavala. This is also my favorite track on the compilation. If you are well familiar with the sound of Salakavala, then you will love this one, as it has all the trademark elements of the Salakavala sound.

It's got the raw intensity, which is supported by grindy and fat bassline. On top you will hear distorted effects and a whole amalgamation of samples that have been properly rendered through a bunch of effects processors. The melodic aspect is vague but present - an element that constantly makes me listen to their tracks over and over again. Nobody really does Suomisaundi like Salakavala and that has been the case since their masterpiece Fractal Fishing.

If you can really appreciate the Finnish trance, then this is a real treat, a candy, a warm honey for your soul.

13. Oraalidonitsi - Kikkeli Kakkeli 06:23

The last good track on this compilation returns the listener to the good feelings of tracks 3 and 5. Again, it has a simple structure, but the nice melodies really grab you and you just can't help yourself but listen to the harmonic sounds flowing out of your headphones. It's a track that evokes certain emotions with a pinch of nostalgia, hope and joy - just the way I like it.

---

Track 13 would be a perfect closing track for Saamisaundi Vol.3, but unfortuntely, there is one more track after this one that ruins the entire feeling. If it weren't for that very last track, then I would give this compilation a higher rating. There really is a fair number of stinkers on Saamisaundi Vol.3. So I ended up with:

3 out of 5

It's just a one's man opinion and maybe others will apppreciate the rest of the tracks more than I did, but only the six tracks mentioned above really tickled my fancy, while the rest just annoyed me and I couldn't care less to be honest.

In any case, Finnish people know their trance really well and they can do no wrong.