shpongle nothing lasts, ineffable vinyl reissues

technosomy

ok so most of you fans prob already know about the 2 reissues about to drop, if you don't go check out simons video on fbook or what other social media
he looks so proud and so he should, they look amazing and quality even better than previous 2.
but yes they going to cost us big time, he said nothing cost them 80 GBP to make, so god knows how much going to cost espeically for me to get to australia.
ineffable wow!! you should see it, a work of art, said cost alot more to make.
what your thoughts on the way this is all going?
i understand both sides to this, shopongle is quality and yes they really are doing these releases proud by the work going in, the previous 2 are the best quality vinyls i own, and way better sounding than the originals, but the cost of all of this seems to be getting extremley high especially for us common folk who have kids and don't earn alot.

surely there must be some middle ground somewhere, but yes will have to get them, might have to go without for a while though

shpongle costing me so much latley, with going to denver and now just found out the place we are staying accross from red rocks is hosting the after party!

I don't own any of these re-releases and don't foresee me buying them, but I approve and appreciate their releases.

I don't like buying CDs because I don't listen to CDs. I listen to digital music or vinyl. Vinyl is nice because it is physical and has an opportunity to make something more like art.

The middle ground is for you to not-buy them. I do not believe the vinyls sound better than a similarly mastered digital release. These are strictly for collectors. They're for people who want to buy this type of product for their collections. This is what record labels need to do now that music is near worthless with Spotify and streaming options eating up more sales.

Now that Shpongle is nearing the end, hopefully Younger Brother is up next!!!!!

i agree on what you say except for the sound of these vinyls, i have played the cd's to people, and the records on blind tests, not once has anyone ever said the cd sounds better, def exceptions in this case, hence why these are a must.
yes younger brother is next after shpongle, they have been hinting on a box set, but am pretty sure gravity will be seperate to vacine and electronic that will be released together, and then the holy grail.......MYSTERY OF THE YETI WILL BE NEXT!

On 1/15/2019 at 2:36 AM, technosomy said:

what your thoughts on the way this is all going?

The whole vinyl business has got a bit crazy.

One largish music store chain here just reported that in 2018 their vinyl sales may have surpassed CDs in revenue. Of course, there's the contributing factor that CD sales continue to diminish, but it's still impressive or even scary. Quite a chunk of that seems to be pure collectibles - special editions, limited editions, weird colours, fancy boxes...you know the deal. I wonder how many of those buyers even have a working turntable and whether they ever really use it. My gut feeling says that a lot of today's vinyl shopping is more like collecting, investment, or getting more impressive display pieces to show one's fandom. Listening is an option which is in there, but in reality it often goes unused.

That aspect has obviously always existed, but the overall situation was quite different in the 80s when LPs were a common home audio format or until 2000 or so when DJ CD players were so dodgy that vinyl was a very valid choice if you wanted to mix accurately.

I kind of miss the times when we bought loads of bog standard 12"s and spun them daily, just for fun. No huge worries if you lost one, spilt beer on it or whatever. It was just a £5 disc, often easily replaceable. Would you do that with a £100 collectible? I see more and more releases where it seems that nobody is really playing them. As soon as the release is out (and also sold out in a matter of hours, days or weeks), half of the batch appears on Discogs marketplace, still in shrink wrap, for double price. The rest has probably been hoarded to private collections somewhere.

OK, nowadays you can typically buy a CD/digital version or stream it with a single click. Participating in the vinyl gold rush is entirely optional. Nevertheless, I find it a bit sad that a playable music format is turning into a display or collecting piece, where you may not even dare to touch it. It's like those action figures that people stash in their safe in original packaging, never opened. Not much action there, eh?

We're shipping plastic from the pressing plant to a store, then to the first buyer, then second hand to the next schmuck who is willing to pay double price, then to the next one. Producing some CO2 and trash at every step. Maybe never even opening the shrink wrap. We could just as well be trading bricks with a limited edition serial number on them. Or stamp-sized tokens to save money on shipping. Or digital codes. The concept is getting silly.

And still I'm participating, often just out of fear of missing out and regretting it later. It's a never-ending game and it might be very wise not to play at all. However, I try to pick releases that actually see a turntable every now and then and there's no reason to worry about it. I see no major glory in finally getting buried with the world's largest collection of mint condition ultra-special editions, never touched.

A few years ago I was living really busy times when I barely browsed or bought a thing. I was also so busy that I had no time to think about missing something. So did I really miss anything - unless I look at the backlog of all those fancy releases I don't have? What a deep philosophical question...

On 1/15/2019 at 4:36 PM, the goa constrictor said:

I don't like buying CDs because I don't listen to CDs. I listen to digital music or vinyl. Vinyl is nice because it is physical and has an opportunity to make something more like art.

The middle ground is for you to not-buy them. I do not believe the vinyls sound better than a similarly mastered digital release. These are strictly for collectors. They're for people who want to buy this type of product for their collections. This is what record labels need to do now that music is near worthless with Spotify and streaming options eating up more sales.

I buy CDs, rip them, and keep the originals as a physical backup. That has been my modus operandi since 1995 or so. (Although back then you couldn't just download everything as FLAC, thus CD was the only realistic way to get CD quality.) Sometimes they come with a nifty booklet too. Sometimes the next schmuck will buy them for double price. :lol:

I don't really believe in vinyl hi-fi either. There's a little bit of truth to it, namely the fact that the physics of vinyl simply prevent some of the worst idiocies of digital mastering. The pressing limitations and cartridge movement force the sound to be somehow more natural and easier on the ears than some bad examples of CD/digital. However, it's very easy to make a shitty vinyl pressing with its own issues, which greatly outweigh the tiny benefits. There are also major, inherent limitations on the dynamic range and stereo image. And you need a good cartridge, a fresh stylus, some effort on the cabling etc. to get even close to digital clarity. And that's the ideal case, which may never happen. And the discs will wear out. Some quality is quickly lost in any case, and unless you're extremely careful, they'll develop crackle and pops. For that reason alone, I don't really bother with ambient on vinyl. It's just a hopeless combination. In that genre I want to be able to press play and enjoy noiseless perfection for hours - with no disc flipping either.

In short, don't even consider vinyls if you want high audio quality reliably, easily and repeatedly. If you have a top notch setup, make a digital rip from a brand new copy to get that alternate mastering/playback experience. Beyond that, it's just a fancy ritual. (But what a great ritual it is to spin some 12"s in a small party for people who can truly appreciate it.)

OK, that was a lot of ranting. Back to the point. Am I going to get the new Shpongle vinyls? I don't know. They're probably extremely impressive pieces - and yet there's the massive agony of realising that every play would cost you £10 in resale value as the grading will take a hit. :rolleyes: Then again, Ineffable is the only album I don't have on vinyl yet... Oh bother.

you have some very good points there, if you have seen the video and ineffable is the only album you don't have should be a no brainer as you can see how good this will be.
most who know me know i have owned pretty much every goa/psy cd release at some stage since 95 from thousands now to hundreds and i buy maybe 1 or 2 now every year on cd, why?
i hate owning stuff now whether it be music or what ever.
but i still own all the music as i have 10's of thousands of ripped discs in folders in a room, and for me is just about the music, when it comes to vinyl it is more of a piece of art, worth respecting much more than a cd i think, but i listen to them when ever i feel like it, couldn't give a shit about the value.
as for the industry, have heard there are alot of young people out there who think it's cool to listen to vinyl but don't even have a player, but i have friends who sell players and install them and sales for systems and istallation are sky rocketing especially for rega, which suggests the mid range for average person is the way they going, so people def listening to them, but i agree the whole vinyl reasurgence stinks to high heaven, and just another way of the industry squeezing more money out of people, and unless you know which pressings are better, and own a decent system it aint worth getting them, most pressings are shit these days with only a couple (mofi) etc exceptions, but face it most in late 70's and most of the80's were crap to (with exceptions)
i remember the day cd's became available in new zealand and my dad had already bought me a system with a cd player that i was dying to use but had none, so i remember the moment i thought which way do i go cd, or continue with tapes and vinyl, and i went with cd's mainly because they were smaller and i could use the flash machine(what a consumer)
do i regret it? yeah, as like i said vinyl is more art than anything for me, and while i did keep my record collection (thank god!) and continued to buy the odd one along the way up until they disappeared somewhere in the late 90's i continued on the cd path, and have parted with most except new zealand bands, which i have most of.
as for the tape resurgeance what the fuck is with that? yeah just the industry squeezing more drops out of the people, that's going to be a flop once the novelty wears off, inferior in every way once that tape stretches

Hey everyone, newbie here happy to join the forums.:)

as a vinyl fan it is my true dream to have ineffable lp as it is my only album i dont have, and really cannot spend 500euro for a copy.

but i have different opinion about all those remastered thing. you understand you pay like most of your money for the sleeve and not for the music? 

i personally wouldn't mind the sleeve would be standard and not pay a lot of money so i can play ELECTROPLASM on my technics.

if it cost twisted like 80gbp to make one copy of NLBNIL i think its gonna be like 120gbp inc. the shipping wordwide. (and god knows how much it will be for ineffable cause simon told it was costed them a FORTUNE :()

is this serious? i dont know most of the fans but for ppl with kids and stuff its not cheap at all, but on the other side...i wouldnt forgive myself if i dont get this chance and buy it.

compare it to OTT - he used kickstarter to release all his albums on vinyl, and i know its maybe not the best sleeve lookin exist but you still can purchase them all for one shpongle remastered record.

stay shpongled! :)

Short answer to and interesting debate... I think their spendings on the LP re-issues seems to be getting a bit out of control, I mean 80 £ to manufacture... It sounds like a bad deal to me... I it looks really nice and all, buy I really think that they are are squeezing it a bit too far. I will have to see what their asking price will be, but might wait for the Yeti instead -_- and I think I will skip Ineffable, that album naver Impressed me much, so no point (expect pure collection) to get that one if it Will begge en more expensive :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup, I was rooting for this thread. But 119GBP+shipping for a 2LP set, balls! 

Anyone attending their concert in red rocks next month.? I might make it, not sure. I’m heading to SF for couple of weeks and luckily the concert falls on one of the weekends. This being my first time to US, would like to do attend with some known people than alone. 

@technosomy you were thinking of making this journey iirc, you attending.?

14 hours ago, Starkraver said:

Yup, I was rooting for this thread. But 119GBP+shipping for a 2LP set, balls! 

Anyone attending their concert in red rocks next month.? I might make it, not sure. I’m heading to SF for couple of weeks and luckily the concert falls on one of the weekends. This being my first time to US, would like to do attend with some known people than alone. 

@technosomy you were thinking of making this journey iirc, you attending.?

yeah man we be there both nights, have you got tix?
sold out after first couple hours.
where you going in the u.s?
we fly into san fransisco on april 24 there for couple days, then down to palm springs, fly to colarado end of april
we staying accross road from the venue, where one of the after party's is, there are couple of others in denver and think desert dwellers peforming there to
would be cool to link up