Proxeeus - Non-Euclidean Geometry [Goa Madness Records]

Aspartic

Proxeeus, aka Jerome Lesterps from France, has been elucidating the goa scene for a while now. His free debut album At The Mountains of Madness was a raw interlude of his potential. The second statement Weird Tales surprised many of us with a fantastic progression in song structure and production it its entirety compared to the debut. He was getting better and better. After that Proxeeus appeared on a number of compilations with stellar tracks such as Cthulhu Lives (Lotus) and Me, myself, and a Gnop-keh (Elan Vital).
These tracks unveiled the new sound of Proxeeus where he far supersedes what he has done in the past (and that was already very good). We got more melodies, more travelling and more energy.
On december 21st 2018 his 3rd album was released, Non-Euclidean Geometry on Goa Madness Records.
Many goa fans were looking forward to this end-of-year climax. And .... Proxeeus delivers with a bang!

a3679484156_10.jpg

Title: Non-Euclidian Geometry
Arist: Proxeeus
Label: Goa Madness Records (Belgium)
Released: December 21 2018
Format: CD and Digital

Tracklist:

1. Liber Ivonis 10:15
2. Ephraim Waite 10:25
3. What the Red Glare Meant 08:42
4. The Hounds of Tindalos 10:02
5. Down the Six Thousand Steps 08:27
6. The Unnamable 09:55
7. Old Keziah 11:13
8. Yog-Sothoth is the Gate 09:23
9. And Madness Followed (BONUS TRACK)

Proxeeus' tracknames are influenced by the fantasy stories of author H.P. Lovecraft. He wrote about other worlds and aliens so much bigger and smarter than humans, we couldn't even begin to understand it.

No soft mellow intro here, Liber Ivonis immediately gets the goa vibe going with so much melodies and kicking bass. It's a train that never stops.
If you are looking for acid, just leave the album playing, because the second bliss Ephraim Waite is all that and more! Acid, more acid, and even more acid!! Intertwined with lovely warm synth melodies this track is a blaster. And the clarity of the sounds, wow, I can almost touch them.
What the red glare meant thrives on a sort of hollow sound and starts a tad darker. But the majestic synths are back to take over. As a treat Proxeeus creates a metallic acid sound, Emmanuel Top like, like techno on speed. Very night-ish psychedelic stuff right here. The finale is super trippy.
Proxeeus means business, and continues this bulldozer of an album with The hounds of Tindalos, a synth loaded and darker sounding track with acid blips in the back making you crazy. Hell, there is even an epic melody finishing with synths/acid mixed together to give an unforgettable dancefloor experience.
Down the Six Thousand steps begins lighthearted but transforms rather quick in a dark monster where Proxeeus decides to take the aggressiveness up a notch.
Next up is the liquid track The Unnamable. Liquid because of the sounds and the organic feel of it. Each minute we hear a new journey, but they flow flawlessly into each other. From warm to harsh and back to warm.
Old Keziah is total immersion in Proxeeus land. Pulsating synths and acid fly around. How he creates the screaming climax is pure genius.
The last track of the physical cd is Yog-Sothoth is The gate. Futuristic goa trance with sweet and banging melodic synth lines. The progression throughout the track is great again. Nothing feels monotonous, not predictable at all. That's the catch. And the fact that you know you're getting a great ending is so rewarding and pleasant.
A joyful bonus track And Madness Followed is granted in the digital version on bandcamp. A 10 minute long odyssey to get all those goa brains melting on the dancefloor is the cherry on the cake. What a demolition track. We made it!

Sooooo: The album is extremely coherent sound- and structure wise. You can listen to one track and be blown away, but the whole album is such an experience that you have to listen to it in its entirety. And appreciate it in its full length. The production quality is superb and not one single sound is out of place. Every track takes you on a journey to a parallel universe. Proxeeus is at the forefront of goa trance and this album is his magnum opus. Well, maybe until the next one. Who knows what comes next?? Jerome has much more to show us, I'm sure.
Art like this only comes along once in a while. E-Mantra's Arcana, Artifact303's Back To Space, and now Proxeeus' Non-Euclidian Geometry.
You nailed it, mister. Hats off. :)

Buy link:

Goa Madness Records Bandcamp

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Aspartic said:

Proxeeus, aka Jerome Lesterps from France, has been elucidating the goa scene for a while now. His free debut album At The Mountains of Madness was a raw interlude of his potential. The second statement Weird Tales surprised many of us with a fantastic progression in song structure and production it its entirety compared to the debut. He was getting better and better. After that Proxeeus appeared on a number of compilations with stellar tracks such as Cthulhu Lives (Lotus) and Me, myself, and a Gnop-keh (Elan Vital).
These tracks unveiled the new sound of Proxeeus where he far supersedes what he has done in the past (and that was already very good). We got more melodies, more travelling and more energy.

I think the track Kuiper Belt (Youtube link) slipped under the radar of many, yet it is among the very best. Actually this track would fit perfectly in this album, I would not even mind that it was already released given that not everyone heard about it. 
This new album is indeed more melodic than the previous ones, more mature, Proxeeus really improved, becoming one of the top names. It is very dense, very intense. The opening track is splendid. And Old Keziah is a crazy track. Very very convincing album.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've thrown all my kitchen knives out, chucked my scissors in the bin & given my wife's pencil sharpeners to the neighbors. With Proxeeus' kickdrum i've got all the sharp objects I can handle. Need to cut some bread? Throw 'LIber Ivonis' on. Toe nails looking manky? Try putting your curly boys next to a subwoofer while you play 'The House Of Tindaloos'. Oh no! I'm in a street duel with a drunk'n 19 year old. See if he can handle death by a thousand kicks right from 'Old Keziah'. I doubt it.

This album is the first CD I've bought as an adult, I waited for the CD just to see what i was really missing out on. But I guess I need a CD player and mum's car is all i got. I can say the kicks were so sharp and powerful I couldn't even tell if there was a bassline until track 7 & 8. That was my mistake though, sitting down to Non Euclidean Geometry simply will not do the trick. This is moving music, even walking while listening changes the whole experience, even better is jumping around your living room instead of applying for jobs.

Since we are all human beings (Maybe except for Proxeeus, who could just be pretending while he spreads his aural ecstasy to us all) but since we are mostly all humans and we therefore can't help but make a comparison, let's make a comparison. Compared to previous albums I think the only thing that I miss are the wacky atmospheres that have been given a slight reduction in favor of a much cleaner production and sound. Each layer is so clearly defined that every zip and bubble and blip and synth are clearer than mum's windscreen.

The last 3 tracks are by far my favourite with track 7 being my favourite. Oh that cover as well. You can stare into that bad boy for a while, beautiful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For me its more music for the dancefloor. At home it doesnt grabs me, But at the dancefloor i have a lot of fun, if Proxxeus plays his music. Energy, flow and acid are cool! :-)

Negative comment:
I do not sound rude, but the melody in "Old Keziah" @5:32 sounds odd. Not because of the notes. More the the way of playing. I think "jolty" is a good word to descripe it. And it destroys the track for me. :-( In the other hand its cool to hear a melody without arpeggiator. Next time it will be better. :-)

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This album is comparable to Sky Input with its swirly and epic in-your-face melodies that bend the cosmic space. Hell, even some of the melody work is almost exactly like what you'd find in the afromentioned release with their bright forceful cosmic synths. The difference is that it's atmosphere reeks of malevolence and the composition is much more mischevious. Absolutely a king release of 2018 and one of my all time favourites of the new age of goa.

• Thanks 1