Title: 5ynergy - 5th Anniversary EP
Label: Self-released
Date: December 1, 2018

1. Dreams
2. Mu Cephei
3. Discovery
4. Infrared
5. Chromatron

Veasna is Patrick Dinklage, a trance music maker who among other things likes producing trance and letting people listen to it. 

I've heard it said that he balances between the old and the new like a complete champ. And no, I still haven't listened to Spectral flux

giphy-downsized.gif

(I'm waiting to buy it), so until now I haven't had much of an impression. 

But that all changes today. I put this bad boy on and ooh ah did i enjoy at least 4 of them. 

Dreams: I played this in the car first, now I've had problems with my car speakers before making some trance (Lectro Spektral) sound bothersome. They strike again with the white noise snare that comes in at 1:20. I stuck it out, and tried again on a bunch of headphones, still annoying but not painful, sounds like the noise the protogoa team decided to bury in 89. Every part of this track is great bar for that one sound that persists throughout the entire track.

Mu Cephei: A super funky lead driven piece that doesn't run out of ideas. No sir this is pure floaty, happy trance, uplifting & fun. 

Discovery: The happy atmospheres get pushed away as something more ominous begins. the intro is cool, the kicks are beefed up, the bassline rides between layers smoothly. Then the leads come in, and the zippiness begins and takes us away. 

Infrared: This EP just keeps getting better and better. This track is craziness on heat, skittles on ice, stir-fry in Malaysia. You get it, its a good track, but it becomes AMAZING at the 4 minute mark. THICK leads come in and get swirled around by layers on layers. undoubtedly my favourite.

Chromatron: So where to now? Oh whats that? You can make an equally as wild track as infrared but completely different? Lord take me. I can't even tell if Dinklage loops his sounds, his leads go on and on and on and then they change and do it all over again. A close 2nd favourite.

This EP gets exponentially better as it goes on. each track is better than the last until it climaxes into a sticky mess of Goa fury. The last two tracks are what i'd recommend you buy this for, but you got a floaty number and a big basslined number too. 

It's a shame the digipack kickstarter project didn't get it's legs and run away with our money but on the 8th of february 1942 general Arthur Percival surrendered Singapore to Japanese forces, after already stating "In going to Malaya I .... finding myself involved in a pretty sticky business with the inadequate forces which are usually to be found in the distant parts of our Empire in the early stages of a war." He was forced to surrender with a white flag in the lead of his forces, captured, and upon release blamed as being ineffectual as a General. 

So things could be worse.

Definitely recommend this EP. 

https://veasna.bandcamp.com/album/5ynergy-5th-anniversary-ep

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the review. Very glad you enjoy... mostly! :D I usually don't comment reviews because I'd like them to stand like they are, but:

On 1/9/2019 at 11:15 PM, Tsotsi said:

Dreams: I played this in the car first, now I've had problems with my car speakers before making some trance (Lectro Spektral) sound bothersome. They strike again with the white noise snare that comes in at 1:20. I stuck it out, and tried again on a bunch of headphones, still annoying but not painful, sounds like the noise the protogoa team decided to bury in 89. Every part of this track is great bar for that one sound that persists throughout the entire track.

This is very subjective of course - I love noisy claps! Granted though, these are pretty prominent. Now I wonder if they're maybe simply too loud or do you think they should be exchanged altogether? I'll gladly build a version with different claps, would be an interesting variant. :)