Label: Zion 604
Date: August, 2018

1. A Tale of Taketori (604 Edit)
2. Another Transform
3. I'm Shocked
4. Eternal Return (Early Mix)
5. 3D Heaven ('96 Live Mix)
6. Eejyanaika (Early Mix)
7. When the Light Is Gone (Original Mix)
8. Flying Saucer Landing (Live Mix)
9. E-Talk (Live Mix)
10. Cosmo Drome (Piano Version)

EwXBnod.gif

Zion 604 has basically knocked everything they have released out of the park.  Very consistent which is why this release surprised me.  As if you didn't already you have to take this review with a grain of salt.  I never cared for the music from this artist.  He didn't have the melodies of others and I always thought of his as weird.  This compilation of tracks confirms my beliefs.  Like the DJ's father above says, it's not my style.  This isn't floaty, melodic, or hypnotizing trance.  Leave it to the Japanese to make something totally different. 

It's not bad it just isn't for me.  And that's ok.  It's rife with discord.  It aims to antagonize, like it's angry at the listener.  It sometimes goes in weird directions that are jarring or unsafe.  There were parts I enjoyed in most tracks, but it was never sustained.  Sometimes it was noisy just to be noisy.  And don't get me started on the annoying level of Eejyanaika.  It's definitely not your run of the mill goa release but what I can say is that I appreciate the varied directions in which he attempts to steer his brand of goa.

So...I'll pass on this one.

Zion 604 Bandcamp

• Like 2

I actually bought the Ufomatka album thinking it was Ubar Tmar, we'll call it a little dizzy fit. But based off the EP I was looking forward to it. Thought another transform was a bunch of wacky fun; will wait to buy the album for a proper review, (Unless Ubo Mars releases an album and I get all confused again).

• 2 weeks later...

If you are an Ubar Tmar fan, you would be familiar with most of the tracks on this CD already. Ubarpedia gave us all the great tracks and then some. This CD would be a nice fit in your Ubar Tmar collection if you are into collecting different mixes/versions of the same tracks. 

• 1 year later...

This album can be tough to get into but can grow on you, at first I didn't like it too much but played at the right time it works nicely. That being said, I don't understand why the artist went again to remix 5 tracks that were already remixed for the album Ubarpedia in 2012. These versions sound much more modern though, more psytrance than goa, my favorites are #3, #4, #5. 

Cosmo Drome 2012 version is IMO one of the best melodic goa track ever made, one of the best melodies you will hear, looks like Ubar Tmar is aware of it as he produced a piano version of the track :)