Indoor party air quality (and how to deal with it)

RTP

Hello together

I just returned from a party early ... venue okay (not perfect, but not too bad), people were nice ... it was all quite fine, except that the air was vile in there.

I got problems in there ... not real breathing problems, but I couldn't enjoy dancing as I wanted (I want it intense, mostly) because I felt out of breath and kinda sick when breathing deeply. There was lots of cigarette and MJ smoke and other bad fumes in the air. Problem is I could not go out and take fresh air as well as I needed, because it was quite cold outside and I was sweating a lot and the logistics with my warm clothes were not as manageable for me as I would have needed 'em.
After a while the headache I had at the beginning of the evening (and which settled down long before I arrived) returned, telling me that it's time to go ... so I went. 

Do you go to indoor parties? How do you feel about the air in there? 

Is there anything good that can be done in my case ... I cannot wear a full gas mask as I am already now (without accessories) sweating like a pig when dancing.
(Plus it will probably scare ppl off)
Are there good air filters or masks around?
Does the old trick with a doctor's mask and Vapo Rub do anything substantial to the air quality? Or do the mint oils just open up the lung more so that you take in more bad fumes?

cheers RTP

i just returned from a party early, because the main act materia was playing neelix-style music (i remember him as playing good fullon, but apparently that's a thing of years past). mostly breaks and lots of singing :wacko:.

air quality was better than the last time (less people this time), but it's never an issue for me. if you don't want to notice the cigarette smoke the simplest remedy is smoking a cigarette ;). it still works if you, like me, only smoke at parties.
but the thing about not being able to go outside because i'm sweating like a pig and our shitty cold climate is a problem i share.

i always thought the thing about menthol or vapo rub is something americans do because it apparently feels great on mdma. so i guess it's not a viable option here.
you can buy dust- or flu masks in every pharmacy but i have no idea if that would help against the bad air quality in clubs (probably not) and you'd definitely look a bit silly. :)

Cheers for also returning early from a party :)

I must say that my rest of the night was pretty shitty tbh ... I felt like I was on some substance ... visual artifacts, agitation, not able to relax, could not lie down. I have that a little bit after parties sometimes, but never experienced it to that extent - and I wasn't even on location that long.
Maybe that bad air was more harmful for me than I thought. It certainly was more than tobacco smoke as far as I could smell and probably not even just weed... 
It took me ages to come down and I maybe slept two hours :mellow:

Dust and flu masks are not really suitable I think, they only filter out dust, not smoke ... plus I look like a clown with that. I think it must be either a gas mask or a better form of the dust mask ... such as the people wear who are doing spraypaint jobs.

I found an ad for this thing called "smokebuddy" ... it's an air filter for social smokers who don't wanna pollute the air around ... never saw somebody using it, but maybe it works in the other direction aswell, meaning: when I breathe in through it, it filters the air...?

Eventually you get used to it lol

I never cared much, it's life I chose. It's my job to go there, focus on playing, enjoy music and friends. Rest is just secondary.

Yeah would be nice if clubs actually switch on their HVAC systems during parties... I survived war as a kid, I can survive bad air once a month too :lol:

Welcome to being old. ;)

I suspect that if I could attend now the parties/raves that I went to 20 years ago, I would be horrified at how it feels.

I remember one I went to with Astral Projection and Infected Mushroom. People’s sweat and breath condensed on the air pipes along the ceiling to the point that it dripped on my face. The very thought is disgusting now.