ZNA 2019?

the goa constrictor

Yeah, it's a bit of money but I don't travel much and don't take vacations often. I decided I really love good goa trance and we just don't get the shows I like out here in the USA. It's worth it to me to travel and hear the music that moves me from time to time.

Do this this year.

2020 is the eclipse down in South America.

2021 can be Boom or Ozora or something. Now that I have a real job, seems nice to actually get out to hear good music once a year. =)

• 1 month later...

The main floor line-up has finished posting!

A mix of artists I am super excited to see, some I've never heard of that I'm excited to see, a few I'm less engaged about but will gladly check out, and a few I can definitely miss while sleeping or eating or whatever... =)

One's I'm excited for: Color Box, Dino Psaras, Elysium, James Monro, Juno Reactor, Mark Allen, Menis/Semsis, MFG, Miko, Man with no Name, Quirk, Ray Castle, Shaolin Wooden Men, S_Range, Star Sounds Kontinuum, SUN Project, Total Eclipse, Tromesa, Tsuyoshi, Ubar Tmar, and Vibrasphere!

There are definitely others I'm happy about seeing (like Jaia and Atmos) but I'm not a super fan of and would be okay if I somehow missed their sets.

Got my flight tickets, so I'll be getting to Portugal a day or so early and renting an AirBnB for a night or two. Will allow me a chance to go buy some food locally so I can bring it to the event with me. Get to spend some time in France before the event and Scotland afterward. August is gonna be a blast! I'm taking the ZNA bus out to the site on the 18th to hopefully secure a good camping location. If anyone has tips on where to post up for shade and such, please let me know =)

Anyone know if there is a big concern for security? Should I be super paranoid about leaving stuff in my tent and such? 

ASTRAL PROJECTION, ATMOS, BATTLE OF THE FUTURE BUDDHAS VS KA-SOL, Color Box, DINO PSARAS, DOMINO, Elysium, GMS vs SYSTEMBUSTERS, HALLUCINOGEN, JAIA, JAMES MONRO, Juno Reactor, KoxBox, Mark Allen, MEDICINE DRUM, Menis & Semsis, M.F.G., MIKO, MAN WITH NO NAME, NOOSPHERE, Paulo Lopes, Protoculture, QUIRK, RAY CASTLE VS SHAOLIN WOODEN MEN, SHPONGLE, S_RANGE, STAR SOUND KONTINUUM, S.U.N. Project, SVEN LOOPING, Toï Doï, TOTAL ECLIPSE With Loic & Stephane, TRISTAN vs MANMADEMAN, Tromesa, Tsuyoshi Suzuki, UBAR TMAR, Vibrasphere, Xenomorph.

That is insane, so many amazing artists. =) Hallucinogen and Koxbox. My two favorites and Total Eclipse that I haven't seen live in almost 20 years. MWNN is back, the sound last time wasn't the best when he played but his choice of music was perfect. MFG, Tsuyoshi, Juno, Astral, Dino and... yeah, fantastic line up.

I'm really looking forward to see Quirk and Noosphere for the first time.

2 hours ago, the goa constrictor said:

Got my flight tickets, so I'll be getting to Portugal a day or so early and renting an AirBnB for a night or two. Will allow me a chance to go buy some food locally so I can bring it to the event with me. Get to spend some time in France before the event and Scotland afterward. August is gonna be a blast! I'm taking the ZNA bus out to the site on the 18th to hopefully secure a good camping location. If anyone has tips on where to post up for shade and such, please let me know =)

Anyone know if there is a big concern for security? Should I be super paranoid about leaving stuff in my tent and such? 

You are going on the 18th so I don't think you will have any problem with finding a good spot. I've been to ZNA two times before and always found shade for my tent. The festival isn't that big either, no long walking distances.

No need for paranoia. =) I keep passport, money, drivers license and stuff like that in my pockets just to be sure, but nothing has been stolen from my tent on ZNA land.

In terms of where to camp, I think the best place is at the left of the entrance. There's a small slope with very tall pine and maple trees. You have the showers, toilets and maing stage right in front of you and since the speakers face the opposite direction it's not loud at all. 

There's also a nice shaded area after the chil-out stage but it's a bit of a hassle to get to the main stage, you have to either go to the river bank or pass through the creek and the market stall. 

I'm realy knit picking here, the festival is small so it's all very close.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

Glad to find this thread - am in a similar situation.  Travelling solo, flying from far away. 

I'll reach Lisbon on 22 Aug in the morning, pick up what looks to be and old & funky RV, get some supplies, and reach ZNA bliss shortly thereafter.   Ping me if you want to connect.    

Also, a question:  Does someone know whether the RV/Campervan camping is far away from the main camping?   Or is it all fairly close nearby?  

Peace

D

Lets go Jungle RV booking.jpg

On 6/2/2019 at 9:42 PM, DaggerDances said:

lso, a question:  Does someone know whether the RV/Campervan camping is far away from the main camping?   Or is it all fairly close nearby?  

It's very close to everything, Particularly the chill out area.

Also, the timetable timting is superb! They have really given thought to it. It gives you time to rest and do other things. Well at least for the thing that I want to hear.

The few things I would have changed:
-More time for Koxbox
-Charasmatix/Sven looping doesn't really fit after Shpongle
- I would have put Ubatmar and Hallucinogen one beghind the other at the final day.  I would have switched Ubatmar with Manmademan/tristan, somehow.

The only big questionmark i have is GMS. WIll it be full-on or their pre 2002 stuff? Other than that all looks promising!

The time-table is just bonkers again. I have no clue how to fit in some sleep... Gonna have to make some tough decisions :D

btw 4 hours of xenomorph live... Poor braincells...

The timetable is perfect for me. It will give me plenty of time to sleep. It helps that I've caught the majority of the acts and I know the ones to avoid:

I will avoid:
-  The portuguese DJs (not because of the their ethnicity but because I don't think they have much to offer)
- Acts I don't care about:
California Sunshine, Protoculture, James Monroe (only dissapointment of last ZNA), Charasmatic/Sven Looping (have heard numerous times and don't like at all) 
ManMadeMan has been crap the past 2 ZNAs, I hope Tristan saves the act.

I will skip because of timetable position :

MFG -  Never been a big fan and also have heard them a couple of times, 
Juno reactor -  I've heard many many times and twice with the full band
Xenomorph

My 3 most anticipated sets are: Colorbox Vs BPU, Ubatmar and Jaia. I adore their music and have never caught them before (Jaia only his prog side).  I was VEERY excited for Shaolin Wooden men but unfortunanetely Olie won't play. I hope one day I catch Rip Van Hippie or Fred disko.

I'm curious for: Nooshpere and GMS (if they play their old stuff because first time I heard them was 2002 so it was past their goa days)
The rest, I know exactly what to expect.

Anyway, psynews members, you probably won't recognise me unless you know me, even if I send a pic. 

HOWEVER

You will definetely recognise my fiancee. She is a particular person who draws the attention; at fests people approach her and talk to her all the time. Which is great, because she leaves me alone to party (she talks a lot).
She has VERY VERY long finger nails, so her Nickname is "The wolverine" (Although, technically, she is the Sabretooth, Wolverine's brother) and she also has a baby wolverine tattoo on her left waste. She's getting a new one now on her front right hip: "A goat playing with wool (like a cat would)". She loves knitting and she comes from a small village where most ppl are shepperds and farmer,so it's homage to her homeland.

If you see her I'll probably somewhere nearby. Go talk to her.

8 hours ago, Trunksan said:

Anyway, psynews members, you probably won't recognise me unless you know me, even if I send a pic. 

HOWEVER

You will definetely recognise my fiancee. She is a particular person who draws the attention; at fests people approach her and talk to her all the time. Which is great, because she leaves me alone to party (she talks a lot).
She has VERY VERY long finger nails, so her Nickname is "The wolverine" (Although, technically, she is the Sabretooth, Wolverine's brother) and she also has a baby wolverine tattoo on her left waste. She's getting a new one now on her front right hip: "A goat playing with wool (like a cat would)". She loves knitting and she comes from a small village where most ppl are shepperds and farmer,so it's homage to her homeland.

If you see her I'll probably somewhere nearby. Go talk to her.

LOL, challenge accepted!   I love party quests -  especially those involving goats ;-)    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Soooo... I've been thinking of attending again this year. Ignore my old post ;p It's not a confirmed YES but its not impossible to cancel previous plans. I'd just miss 1 of my 5 tournaments this year. I had to look up flights again to and from and there are PERFECT time slots for me out of NYC. Will spend a few days thinking it over. The final ticket phase is gate prices ewww. I'm just thinking how I miss some of you, some of my food vendor friends and others met the last two events that aren't on the forums. We'll see 8) thinking thinking..

IF I go.. TOI DOI and S>Range are a MUST! The two I was hoping could be at the last events. Next interests are Total Eclipse for 'Violent Relaxation' tracks, Dino for Cydonia gems, Protoculture for 'Refraction' tracks (I hope!), Astral P in hopes to play originals and Vibrasphere. A few others like SUN Project again would be fun. Easiest event listing for rest on this edition for my taste.s

to answer some questions..

security - I'm a bit risky but everything stays in my tent except cash in my pocket. Boy oh boy do I love to eat and always need cash on me.

property size/parking/camping - The land is a good size but small compared to big festivals and holds the attendance amount just perfect. Here is the map ZNA used for 2015. It was essentially the same in 2017 and likely will be this year. A small food court down near that icon.. RV parking could be seen if you wondered even just a little past the Chill stage. The bus always entered and left around that spot with the green icon. 2015 we entered on the back of a truck with a cage that drove on the road through camping. They likely will stick to the buses again with a less chaotic bumpy road.

zna2015.thumb.jpeg.8233bac317fba285594a1408b081be3f.jpeg

What kind of tournament Matt?

Last Saturday was a bitter sweet day. The best club for underground electronic music in Athens shut down because a Greek American investor bought the whole building. Hari aka DJ Fishimself ( of ZNA, SUN, ozora... fame) was running it. I'm confident he'll get a new spot soon.

We had a closing party and there were a lot of ZNAers there. We are all very excited about it. Of course, the biggest ZNA groupie is the world famous Goa fairy Despina AstralFairy.  We to talk about the fest almost every day. We are setting our plans!!!!

I feel like a little kid!!!

13 hours ago, K-BAN said:

Astral P in hopes to play originals

Last few times I heard them they play the new tracks from the classics remix album and their originals. They've been great.

In fact they were the reason most of the younger kids in my town switched to goa aouy 7-8 years ago. I gave free entrances for the event (i knew the organisers) and they were blown away. After that it was all: No more crap music, just goa and old school psy. Aboyt 15 ppl came and since then everyone abandoned te crap.

On 6/5/2019 at 5:49 AM, Trunksan said:

was VEERY excited for Shaolin Wooden men but unfortunanetely Olie won't play. I hope one day I catch Rip Van Hippie or Fred disko.

I brought Rip Van Hippy to Oregon in 2010. It was a dream come true. I love him so much.
I really wanted to add SWM to the line up but couldn't afford it. Was a great party though...
http://apolloslute.com

Bummed to not be getting SWM but MASA had the best set at the Oregon Eclipse festival the other year and I'm super excited to hear him again. While a lot of these artists are common for many parts of the world, not for the USA.

In 2006 I started throwing a series of events called **GOA PARTY**  [note: Marsh who run goatranch.com and the Global Goa Party events played at the first **GOA PARTY** and hi-jacked the name for his stuff a couple of years later....] The first one had each DJ playing a tribute set of a specific artist. Over half of those are playing ZNA (you can listen to about 8hrs of the first **GOA PARTY** here: http://goaconstrictor.com/thoughts/goa-party/ )

The second year **GOA PARTY 2.3** was a trip back in time. First set was 2007 and each set went back a year
The third year was the TR1LOLGY and had a secret DJ set from Process and we brought out astro turf and pine tree car air freshners to the forest to give the outdoors a good outdoor motif
The fourth year I DJ'd a 25 hour set to battle Goa Gil. It was my Goa Gil Constrictor set. I played many tag team sets with friends throughout the gig and it was a lot of fun to map out a full days worth of music.
The fifth year was the Rip Van Hippy party.

Now I can simply attend a ridiculous festival with all of the actual artists and have a holiday. This is like a dream come true.

Sure I have to fly overseas, but I've lost a couple thousand throwing events locally, and this way I won't need to have responsibilities. lolololol

(although, if I can convince them to cut Xenomorph in half, I'd love to play a set there. just have no idea how to make that happen...)

EDIT: That's not actually true. It's a nice alternate reality but I'm really into the itinerary I've got going on for my vacation. What I was implying was that this is the first festival that I've really thought my sensibilities would match with. I guess I'm floating this into the universe for future alignment of realities...

=)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, the goa constrictor said:

love to play a set there. just have no idea how to make that happen.

Mars (Fabien) and Anoebis (Joske) have very good relationship with the organisers. Maybe you can play at the after party. Ask them.

Masa and Ray are superb

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2019 at 6:15 PM, the goa constrictor said:

In one month I'll be overseas and slowly making my way to the festival!!!!

Eeeeeeeek :D

So excited!!!!!!!

As we've already discussed. I'll go to the festival site early Sunday to reserve my spot and also for other friends. Will leave ASAP and continue my touristy adventures in Libon and return the next day.

One month will go by fast =) Thankfully.

I will take the bus on the 18th to the festival solo. So if anybody of you guys want to meet up at the airport Sunday morning let me know.

Yes I will find you Trunks. This is from another thread... Unless you have shaven off that beard. Then maybe I will have to look for the t-shirts. =))

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, staffan said:

Yes I will find you Trunks. This is from another thread... Unless you have shaven off that beard. Then maybe I will have to look for the t-shirts. =))

I Will be hanging out at exactly the same tree at the back of the dancefloor with my cooling box full of beers! Beard and glasses still here.

...And Giota started her goat tattoo. It seems to have universal appeal. At the tattoo place and the bikers and skinhead were praising it. Guess they are softies really and hiding it.