Meat eater/Vegetarian/Vegan. What are you?

Void Mantra

Meat Eater? Vegetarian? Vegan? What are you?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Meat Eater? Vegetarian? Vegan? What are you?

• Meat eater
    • Vegetarian
    • Vegan
    • Cannibal

Basic fact is that meat does not contain any special nutrient that is not available elsewhere with the exception of vitamin B12, which is given to livestock as a supplement in high doses (because mammals do not actually produce vitamin B12, bacteria produce B12). And there's really no reason to pass your B12 tablet through a cow before consuming it.

So there is really no good reason to be eating meat other than "I like the taste", which is a personal choice (one that most people make as a matter of routine rather than consciously) . But it is a choice that comes with many consequences to the planet, to the animals which need to die, and to the psyche of the person who makes that choice.

I say psyche because the vast majority of people do everything possible, mentally speaking, to separate the act of eating meat with the reality of what that entails. It creates a form of denial, a lie that you tell yourself, a part of you that you ignore and keep quiet because you do not want to be made aware of the internal contradiction. It's quite literally a form of cognitive dissonance. And I personally do not think it's a healthy way to live.

Stopping the consumption of meat lifts a great burden from the psyche and frees us to live more fully and in tune with our principles.

I highly recommend it.

• Like 1

I love meat, I love the taste, I love the smell, I love the infinite variety of recipes around the world and I've been eating it since I was a kid. Despite all that I stopped eating it some time ago now for ecological reasons. With less and less deviation, not that easy.

I can't do much on my own to fight the disaster but that I can.

The ethical argument and the "cognitive dissonance", I dealt with quite well until then, but it's true that I feel more in tune now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I try to limit my meat consumption. I absolutely love cooking with it and that feeling of a nice bit of animal protein after a multi-day psychedelic adventure. I'm very into lab grown meat though and would love to remove the animal torture and environmental impacts. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...