Tsotsi

cee5e639bdab.jpg

Title: Porta Apertus

Artist: Various

Label: Portal Borealis Records

Date: Feb 2018

Tracklist:-

1. MightyOak - Blinking Into Nothingness (07:08)
2. Wattsun - Morphosis (05:44)
3. Drumspyder - Vlashko Horo (Kousk Remix) (04:43)
4. Fat Elvis & Fat Pat - Fat Pelvis (04:06)
5. Alyag - OptiMystic (04:36)
6. Metadream - Abyss (05:53)
7. npc89 - Time (04:04)
8. Fractal Frequencies - Embracing Darkness (08:05)

Keep it smooth, keep it psychedelic, keep it groovy. This is the mantra I get from this compilation. ranging across a series of psychedelic genres Portal Borealis have brought us a listening sensation. They've also put themselves on Tsoti's radar and opened me up to atlas 3 other albums from them. 

Each song is wildly different from the last and showcases absolute talent.

Away we go

Blinking Into Nothingness: A beautiful start and introduction to the album. The song progressing into deep dubby atmospheres that are all to easy to be lost in

Morphosis: An emotional instrumental groove quickly envelopes you as you get drawn down into your amygdala. the instruments really are beautiful and exquisitely designed. I get filled with a mixture of introspective thoughts as the song progresses.

Vlashko Horn (Kousk Remix): A thick tribal intro turns into a thick tribal bassy thang. The organic sounds are wonderful, the high's have me clicking along while the lead has me swaying. A perfect track for the jungles of the amazon, a trip down the nile or a dark night in the Rockies. A favourite on the track.

Fat Pelvis: Fat Elvis & Fat Pat combine names to bring us Fat Pelvis. A dark dubby dreamscape that'll send chills through you as you walk home alone at 3 in the morning. Wear a jumper and thermals for this one.

OptiMystic: Lovely track name that brings the mood back up with an absolute banger of psychedelic influenced drum and bass... The only drum and bass Tsotsi likes. This track is energy from start to finish. another favourite. Perfect for Street fighter influenced battles against your mortal enemy.

Abyss: Metadream brings us an energy charged dark track. Psychedelic as all hell.

Time: I gotta disagree with the premise. From the moment we are born our body starts to live. We open ourselves up to experiences and stimuli that we have the choice to engage with and grow from. Still, very relaxing track with lovely piano work and subtle scratching, the final vocal sample is uplifting like the rest of the track. love it.

Embracing Darkness: a slower more ambient outdo that cools you down and leaves you in a complete state of mellow rest. The vocals are lovely, the instruments are lit what more could you want.

All in all I can't recommend this compilation enough. It's variety of tracks stands out and carries you along for a complete start to finish listening experience. The track placement is well considered and appreciated. With a Name Your Price attached you really have nothing to lose. 

https://portalborealis.bandcamp.com/album/porta-apertus