What's the deal with California Sunshine-Coming Home?

Ormion

This is one of my favourite California Sunshine tracks and obviously a cover of Blue Planet Corporation-Midian. 

What I don't get is why it's not BPC-Midian (California Sunshine remix),  instead it has a new name. Besides that nowhere in the album it's mentioned of Midian or given any credits to BPC. It's really weird. 

I'm pretty sure their first song from the 2017 album (back to goa 92) is the same deal. Old etnica or something. 

This made me wonder. What is the etiquette with things like this? Does Goa go beyond the bounds of owning music. Or does no one care enough to do anything about it? 

4 hours ago, Agneton said:

To make things even more messy, they actually did make a track called Midian remix, which is also definetely a remix of Midian! :P 

What the hell? :blink:

On 3/2/2018 at 4:41 AM, tsotsi said:

I'm pretty sure their first song from the 2017 album (back to goa 92) is the same deal. Old etnica or something. 

This made me wonder. What is the etiquette with things like this? Does Goa go beyond the bounds of owning music. Or does no one care enough to do anything about it? 

good find

22 hours ago, technosomy said:

we had a discussion about this years ago, and i remember someone close to the source explained it

Apparently there was a similar thread 10 years ago and the California Sunshine track is a tribute to Indoor-Sweet Coming Home which is apparently based on Midian. Although I hear some similarities  (the main melody of Midian somehow appears in it) I would never guess the Indoor track is based on Midian, while Coming Home is almost an exact copy.

Did they remix it or cover it?

There's the Space Cat track The Wizard which is a cover of Slinky Wizard. It's not called The Wizard (Space Cat Remix) because it seems like he did a proper cover, not a remix. Similar to Mandalavandalz "Angelic Farticles"

5 hours ago, the goa constrictor said:

Did they remix it or cover it?

There's the Space Cat track The Wizard which is a cover of Slinky Wizard. It's not called The Wizard (Space Cat Remix) because it seems like he did a proper cover, not a remix. Similar to Mandalavandalz "Angelic Farticles"

interesting you mention the space cat track but how is it not a remix? the lead of the melody is exactly the same - surely he sampled the original track? or he is very talented to reproduce exactly the same lead and melody but i doubt it

anyway space cat did call the track "wizard" while california sunshine changed the title name (but perhaps because Posford is more respected than BPC)