Etnica - The Juggeling Alchemist Under The Black Light [DAT Records]

First Impression of the "unknown und unreleased" tracks:they sound more like italian Disco/80`s Synpop than Etnica...but after some listenings I like them all!

Nevertheless it seems that I like Etnica 96/97/98 more and i hope that DAT will release more tracks from that era soon.

Hopefully an Alien Protein re-release with unknown live material and some unknown tracks (Merkaba!).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BASS-O-MATIC said:

First Impression of the "unknown und unreleased" tracks:they sound more like italian Disco/80`s Synpop than Etnica...but after some listenings I like them all!

Nevertheless it seems that I like Etnica 96/97/98 more and i hope that DAT will release more tracks from that era soon.

Hopefully an Alien Protein re-release with unknown live material and some unknown tracks (Merkaba!).

Agree with everything you said.

CD 1 is my favorite with Vicky's Dream being the standout track.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BASS-O-MATIC said:

Agree with you!☄

• Like 1

It's very difficult to say what we will release as hardly any material has survived from the 96-98 era that has not been published. We still are looking for alternate/live mixes of tracks from "alien protein", we know they exist (as a video footage from the era survived and the band has done those) but almost no tape has survived, they kept more the early material and there are other tracks from 94-95 that are unreleased. We will however try to release all that is left from 96, albeit is little now. We published that sound on the second cd of Live in Athens 96, that was the best we could find for the time frame you guys mention but still a few surprises will appear.

I have to add however, that the taste for proto goa has grown on me a lot after listening for 20 years to the 96-98 sound and right now, I do prefer the early productions and the trance/proto goa sound. There are also a lot of people who danced in the late 80s and early 90s that simply love this sound and they are a huge part of the market as well, so expect other releases in this vein, without of course neglecting the goa sound of later years.

• Like 1

Furthermore, please read this:

At DAT Records we constantly aim to provide a portal to the golden age of trance, when the music was new and a global scene was starting to emerge. While the ‘90s were seen as a halcyon age with creative music and a unique atmosphere at events, there were also a few challenging aspects to the scene. One was the frequent mislabeling of tracks on DAT tapes as music was being traded in various circumstances. DAT label DJ Solitare recalls many such situations, including a case a track by Avi circulating as a live mix by Hallucinogen in 1998 and several tracks inaccurately attributed to X-Dream, and in our recent transfer work of DAT tapes made in the ‘90s we regularly come across inaccurately identified tracks. 

Unfortunately this kind of situation could occur not only with amateur DJs but also amongst producing artists - and as a result of such a mislabeled DAT tape, our recent 3-disc Etnica release features a track that was inaccurately attributed to Etnica. The track ‘Party Druid’ circulated on DATs for decades and was dutifully copied from a DAT tape filled with Etnica productions by label manager Draeke when archiving the band’s output. It naturally made its way into DAT’s latest Etnica release covering their early compositions, with the artists having noted that while they didn’t recall the details of producing the track (as was the case with some of the experimental works on this release), they recognized it and recalled having played it. 

It has come to our attention that this track was indeed mislabeled and is in fact a track by the project Evolution entitled Alien Phenomenon - a longer mix than the version that appeared on his album, which was on the same High Society label as Etnica’s first album. Since learning of the error, we at DAT have been in contact with Andreas Roll, the artist behind the Evolution project, who was very understanding of the mishap. Andreas has been most gracious, with no expectation of the set being withdrawn and repressed, simply requesting that the error be addressed online. 

We are of course very regretful that this CD set dedicated to Etnica features a misattributed track produced by another artist - a completely unintentional and unanticipated throwback to ‘90s era of track distribution. We hope that DAT Records supporters will be as understanding of this unfortunate error as the producer of the track was, and will continue to enjoy what is still a remarkable release of a key cross-section of Etnica’s early productions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, draeke said:

Furthermore, please read this:

At DAT Records we constantly aim to provide a portal to the golden age of trance, when the music was new and a global scene was starting to emerge. While the ‘90s were seen as a halcyon age with creative music and a unique atmosphere at events, there were also a few challenging aspects to the scene. One was the frequent mislabeling of tracks on DAT tapes as music was being traded in various circumstances. DAT label DJ Solitare recalls many such situations, including a case a track by Avi circulating as a live mix by Hallucinogen in 1998 and several tracks inaccurately attributed to X-Dream, and in our recent transfer work of DAT tapes made in the ‘90s we regularly come across inaccurately identified tracks. 

Unfortunately this kind of situation could occur not only with amateur DJs but also amongst producing artists - and as a result of such a mislabeled DAT tape, our recent 3-disc Etnica release features a track that was inaccurately attributed to Etnica. The track ‘Party Druid’ circulated on DATs for decades and was dutifully copied from a DAT tape filled with Etnica productions by label manager Draeke when archiving the band’s output. It naturally made its way into DAT’s latest Etnica release covering their early compositions, with the artists having noted that while they didn’t recall the details of producing the track (as was the case with some of the experimental works on this release), they recognized it and recalled having played it. 

It has come to our attention that this track was indeed mislabeled and is in fact a track by the project Evolution entitled Alien Phenomenon - a longer mix than the version that appeared on his album, which was on the same High Society label as Etnica’s first album. Since learning of the error, we at DAT have been in contact with Andreas Roll, the artist behind the Evolution project, who was very understanding of the mishap. Andreas has been most gracious, with no expectation of the set being withdrawn and repressed, simply requesting that the error be addressed online. 

We are of course very regretful that this CD set dedicated to Etnica features a misattributed track produced by another artist - a completely unintentional and unanticipated throwback to ‘90s era of track distribution. We hope that DAT Records supporters will be as understanding of this unfortunate error as the producer of the track was, and will continue to enjoy what is still a remarkable release of a key cross-section of Etnica’s early productions.

This track sounds different , than others

yes Before Big Bang, but at the same time, they did produce similar acid trance in their career and were experimenting in '95 a lot with sound, so to me and to the band it sounded like an Etnica track, and many people told me it sounded for them too. Just Joske told me "no way this is Etnica" but I disagree with him, for me and even for the band it could totally have been something they had produced :) 

This isn't the first time this is happening. There is also a wrong track on the Crop Circles CD single (that turned out to not be Crop Circles) , as well as, a pressing error on Etnica live vinyl resulting in a glitch on one track.

What will you do to rectify this?

9 hours ago, draeke said:

It's very difficult to say what we will release as hardly any material has survived from the 96-98 era that has not been published. We still are looking for alternate/live mixes of tracks from "alien protein", we know they exist (as a video footage from the era survived and the band has done those) but almost no tape has survived, they kept more the early material and there are other tracks from 94-95 that are unreleased. We will however try to release all that is left from 96, albeit is little now. We published that sound on the second cd of Live in Athens 96, that was the best we could find for the time frame you guys mention but still a few surprises will appear.

I have to add however, that the taste for proto goa has grown on me a lot after listening for 20 years to the 96-98 sound and right now, I do prefer the early productions and the trance/proto goa sound. There are also a lot of people who danced in the late 80s and early 90s that simply love this sound and they are a huge part of the market as well, so expect other releases in this vein, without of course neglecting the goa sound of later years.

Hope you find  live mixes Microdrive and Screaming butterfly, these tracks are realy good. Also possible rereleased Nice toy, Merkaba, Triptonite rmx , Hells kitchen, Plastic with good remastering!

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 7:51 PM, visine said:

This isn't the first time this is happening.

In this case, I don't see what's the big issue. Or, I guess I do see it, but it just doesn't bother me that much. I got into psytrance in 2010 and as the years went by I accepted the fact that there were albums I'd never own in any format (among others I.F.O. and The Juggeling Alchemists Under the Black Light), Draeke had other ideas and I'm definitely grateful for that. I would've been happy with just vanilla re-releases of the original albums, but instead we got so much more. I really hope Federico continues unearthing the gems of yesterday as DAT is among the few labels I follow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, juril said:

In this case, I don't see what's the big issue. Or, I guess I do see it, but it just doesn't bother me that much. I got into psytrance in 2010 and as the years went by I accepted the fact that there were albums I'd never own in any format (among others I.F.O. and The Juggeling Alchemists Under the Black Light), Draeke had other ideas and I'm definitely grateful for that. I would've been happy with just vanilla re-releases of the original albums, but instead we got so much more. I really hope Federico continues unearthing the gems of yesterday as DAT is among the few labels I follow.

I mean it's simple isn't it. I don't understand how people don't get it. 

@visine as goes without saying, it is not easy to make everything perfect all the times, but I do try my best. That said, none of the errors were intentional and we tried to address each and every problem in the best way we could. If you are not satisfied by the releases of DAT Records, I am sorry to hear that. But to state that I have done nothing to rectify our mistakes, it's far from the truth.

Unless you have a particular issue that you want to discuss with me in private, then please let me know. Cheers

4 hours ago, draeke said:

@visine as goes without saying, it is not easy to make everything perfect all the times, but I do try my best. That said, none of the errors were intentional and we tried to address each and every problem in the best way we could. If you are not satisfied by the releases of DAT Records, I am sorry to hear that. But to state that I have done nothing to rectify our mistakes, it's far from the truth.

Unless you have a particular issue that you want to discuss with me in private, then please let me know. Cheers

I think you are far away from "making everything perfect all the times" standard and we are't even talking about that here. You screwed up the Crop Circles single with a wrong track, then released tracks with wrong speeds on Pleiadians - IFO, glich on the vinyl of Etnica and now another wrong track on this Etnica album. Stop trying to instigate drama, no one stated you have done nothing to rectify your mistakes. Instead the question was what will you do to rectify this?  ...as whatever you are doing is clearly not working and you are continuing to screw up otherwise great releases that deserve better quality control.

Man, the amount of hate and disrespect DAT records get's by fanatics who can't seem to enjoy and be happy

with OTHERWISE UNRELEASED music is insane.

Direct your anger elswehre, like oldschool artist releasing garbage, like new school goa artist that makes music with zero soul in it, not someone

who is devoted to bring unheard gems from the past to the avarege joe 20 years after.

You realy think you would have heard CC/BPC/Doof/Etnica and tons of more amazing music, if it was not for dat records ?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, U.F.Orb said:

Man, the amount of hate and disrespect DAT records get's by fanatics who can't seem to enjoy and be happy

Direct your anger elswehre, like oldschool artist releasing garbage, like new school goa artist that makes music with zero soul in it, not someone

who is devoted to bring unheard gems from the past to the avarege joe 20 years after.

You realy think you would have heard CC/BPC/Doof/Etnica and tons of more amazing music, if it was not for dat records ?

Yea I gotta agree. This is Goa trance after all. Carefree, uplifting, insane, mind bending, soulful and beautiful music. You want a label to devote themselves to releasing it and also strive for perfection? Uh uh. No no.

From what I've learnt Goa typifies a nonsense embracing, carefree spirit. I don't find that in any other genre. Let alone any other facet of life. Enjoy what we do have. You'll find its easy. 

1 hour ago, U.F.Orb said:

I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't subscribe to the notion that releasing great music is an excuse for repeated  mistakes mentioned above.

54 minutes ago, tsotsi said:

Yea I gotta agree. This is Goa trance after all. Carefree, uplifting, insane, mind bending, soulful and beautiful music. You want a label to devote themselves to releasing it and also strive for perfection? Uh uh. No no.

We'll have to disagree. The music genre in my option has nothing to do with a need for a basic quality control when you release it.

13 hours ago, visine said:

I think you are far away from "making everything perfect all the times" standard and we are't even talking about that here. You screwed up the Crop Circles single with a wrong track, then released tracks with wrong speeds on Pleiadians - IFO, glich on the vinyl of Etnica and now another wrong track on this Etnica album. Stop trying to instigate drama, no one stated you have done nothing to rectify your mistakes. Instead the question was what will you do to rectify this?  ...as whatever you are doing is clearly not working and you are continuing to screw up otherwise great releases that deserve better quality control.

why-do-you-like-this-it-looks-stupid-quit-having-19332868.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@visine well that is really just your point of view, I do believe what I do is close to perfect, what are a few mistakes on 196 tracks released on DAT Records and 60 on the Mind Rewind Series? I would like to see you do better, and the amount of work that went into creating these releases is immense. Not only to find the music in itself, but to arrange everything from the pressing, the artwork, the mastering, the contracts with the artists and writing the promo releases texts, interviewing the artists and writing the booklets and then again checking everything with my collaborators, which are not amateurs but professionals. The problem with the crop circles single was yet again a mislabelled track on a dat tape. The glitch on the etnica vinyl is the pressing plant fault and they promised me to repress that track on an EP but even if I have asked like 20 times they are pretending to be deaf to it, a lot of time has passed and they "forgot". That one, wasn't my error, as the track on the CD sounds fine, they fucked up at the pressing plant. The only mistakes I recognise as my fault are to have released 2 mislabelled tracks, and two tracks at wrong speed, but that's all, and yet again on 196 tracks. If that for you is being FAR from perfect, well sir, I have nothing else to discuss with you in particular.

@BASS-O-MATIC there is one track by Lotus Omega released on a crop circles release and of course this happened because i have ripped the master dat tapes of lotus omega and on one tape that track was included in a liveset as "crop circles - no name" they later renamed it as "Cosmic Creative Rays - Effortless" and if I may add something both this track that was unreleased and the track by Evolution that was a vinyl only, probably wouldn't have been released ever, if it wasn't for these mistakes.

I do like to read all the drama that my releases are creating and lovely drawings @Agneton!

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, draeke said:

@visine

@BASS-O-MATIC there is one track by Lotus Omega released on a crop circles release and of course this happened because i have ripped the master dat tapes of lotus omega and on one tape that track was included in a liveset as "crop circles - no name" they later renamed it as "Cosmic Creative Rays - Effortless" and if I may add something both this track that was unreleased and the track by Evolution that was a vinyl only, probably wouldn't have been released ever, if it wasn't for these mistakes.

the evolution track was released in this album https://www.discogs.com/Evolution-Oscillating-Phenomena/master/15608 and also in this compliation https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Prophets-Of-Psychedelic-Trance/release/363791 

2 minutes ago, Celaripo said:

No it's a vinyl only (or was). The album version is shorter in length.

3rd Disc is very beautiful! the tracks are in the line of that golden era, some have the taste of brilliant classic trance as Intrance feat. D-Sign - Dosta, State of House - Pacific Dance and many others in that period of good music made with love.

Very nice to see the light even after decades..