Ray Castle & Collaborators - Mystique of the Metaverse

Trance2MoveU

hKuCQve.jpg

Artist: Ray Castle & Collaborators
Title: Mystique of the Metaverse
Label: Suntrip Records
Date: February, 2018

1. Insectoid - Tribadelic Nomads (Feral mix)
2. Insectoid - Astrotrekker
3. Rhythmystec - Plutonica
4. Rhythmystec - Plasmatik
5. Rhythmystec - Cathexis
6. Rhythmystec - Stellium
7. Masaray - Time Traveler of Trance (Joyfull Natives Mix)
8. Insectoid - Omniscient
9. Sonic Sufi - Optimum Flux

"Follow your bliss and don't be afraid."

xX0rFAv.gif

Ok.  Like most of you I am a fan of Suntrip Records, but as a reviewer of their music I have to put aside my fangirling ways and immerse myself into the artist's work.  And most of the time I come away with a positive experience.  Allow me to introduce the first hiccup of 2018.

There are a lot of things wrong with this release which seems more like a history lesson than a Suntrip album offering.  I don't own the label or have any say in what they release and I surely don't want to offend the artist, but... was there a lot of demand for a Ray Castle album?  This is a definite niche album that to me is attempting to capitalize on the everything old is gold momentum.  Ray Castle worked under several project names and according to the headache inducing word salad album blurb found on the bandcamp page he was "one of the most distinguished trail-blazing legends of the nineties Goa movement.."

Really?

Ok I don't have a masters degree in goa trance history so I'll accept that on its face.  The head of this fine label are in a way better position than I to determine that.  So let's just talk about the music because I am one of those that appreciate music from the past finding its way to the present day.  This label did a remarkable job with the Shakta, Prana, and Denshi Danshi releases.  The Rhythmystec tracks were released in 95-96 and are decent if not dated.  Different time, technology, yadda yadda yadda. I was excited about the Insectoid tracks because unlike the stuff from Rhythmystec I had never heard of this project.  Two tracks from that project take up the first 17 minutes of this album and to say they were underwhelming would be an understatement.  Omniscient would also fall into this category regrettably as did the Sonic Sufi track.  They have the sound of early goa without many layers to give it depth.  The best track for me was the Time Traveler of Trance remix as it sounded more like the goa trance I like.  Personal preference of course.

So for me I cannot recommend this album.  If you're looking for blasting old school goa trance with crazy melodies you will come away from this disappointed.  As I mentioned I see this as a niche album (which I will still be purchasing to support the label) appealing to fans of this project and the early goa sound.

Suntrip Bandcamp

Psyshop

Beatspace

• Like 3

i don't want to deter anyone from buying the album and supporting Suntrip, so i will keep most of my thoughts to myself... but you pretty much summed it up Mr. Trance2MoveU.

i'm not sure if the album is meant to be appreciated as historical artifact, or as a technical achievement of what was possible in the nascent digital age, or as a nostalgic reminiscence of goa's early days but it just wasn't scratching the itch for me on a musical level. i'm probably at fault though since my overloaded dopamine receptors have been utterly desensitized with so much complex and maximal music (among other things) that this album simply isn't adequately prepared to deal with it 

lots of people seem to be enjoying it though, so that's good.

Well I beg to differ :) ...this is exactly the sort of (goa) trance that sticks with me and mind you, i'm a big melody lover. The thing that mr. Castle absolutely nailed for me is the very particular groove and rhythmic aspect he integrates in his tracks, which is often overlooked in a lot of modern 4 on the floor goatrance. Also, his melodies, ideas and fx'es carry a clear "out-of-the-box" stamp and really tingle my senses! :) 

Recommended by all means!

• Like 1

As with all of the reviews you made over the years, This one is no exeption, i strongly disagree. (but i respect and admire your will to make them and have

fun reading  them, please dont stop :) )

This album is great, those Rhythmystec tracks were and still are amazing crem de la crem psychedelia, futuristic and way ahead of its time.

The first insectoid track is out of this world, a real gem.

I Respect Suntrip for releasing music, prana remixes, shakta and Denshi Danshi were a big miss in my book.

But this one is simply on the spot, the cover, the mastering/remastering (and i cant stand those "old track, new shiny-ravey remasters" that 

became so regular in this scene) this hits the spot.

Thank you for releasing this one suntrip boys.

Please consider releasing a part 2 and 3, im sure he has more hidden gems out there just waiting to get released :)

And please, consider a vinyl release, im happy with my CD but that cover art is simply vinyl material (Aaaaand it will look real nice next to my 'Dragon Tales' one :P )

Hats off.

We knew this album would not be for everyone... But I personally love all the tracks (but I am a big fan of suomi, psy harmonics & more experimental stuff). Some are indeed very proto goa influenced, but I think even those tracks are genius in their own way... Also the funky vibe in it, the psychedelic effects allover... Aaah, tastes, something hard to discuss. Lets say this is an album for the lovers of more abstract, wicked & funky goa-trance :) its not the usual typical goa for sure :) 

They say taste is like the ass. Its divided and usually it stinks ^_^ I heard through the album some days ago and now and like it. Not enough to buy it unfortunately also mostly because I'm broke and its not in my current preffered shopping cart atm :b but for sure there are some very strong psychedelia acid drenched tribal tracks here that comes off as smart and intricate chaotic in control 'electronic' Goatrance music not overly lineær and Worth the release. LOVE the 1st track, to mention one that impressed the most, its smth special and colorful. Very cool detail with the "Dragon Tales" cover-art designer on board. Fun. No matter the taste I think this seem like a solid Artist & Collaborators compilation album that shows us (Even) more 90-s history of how it was, and can be wildly done. An interesting old-psychedelic techno'oid retro goa-psytrance tribal mind funk release that's being pushed out on what can seem like a draining peak of the indulgent retro-wave times. An album for special moments and special taste -- a swirling cup of Tea. 

https://media.giphy.com/media/IsGOQRjVIg4HC/giphy.gif

Edited by psytones
  • Like 1

Back in the day, the Rhythmystec tracks were mostly considered as fillers in compilations featuring the likes of MFG, Etnica, X-dream etc. simply because they were less good. If they are considered "great" tracks today perhaps it's because our standards had to lower (subconsciously? ) at some point. 

It's music I can appreciate but in the same time it's easily forgettable IMO.  

I've not yet to purchase this album (compilation?) but definitely mean to. And the Rhythmystec tracks is all the persuasion  I need... :) Now it would've of course been great if they included 'Eskimo' on this, but seeing it's on a Zion 604 compilation I understand the decision. 

I can't believe the nay-sayers, I mean c'mon, Rhythmystec is as good and crazy old school as it gets. And probably the best cover art on Suntrip to date? 

On 15-2-2018 at 7:13 PM, Trance2MoveU said:

So for me I cannot recommend this album.  If you're looking for blasting old school goa trance with crazy melodies you will come away from this disappointed.  As I mentioned I see this as a niche album (which I will still be purchasing to support the label) appealing to fans of this project and the early goa sound.

Normally I do not reply to reviews, but I have to do it now (please take no offence in my words, it is just my humble opinion after listening to this 'genre' for 20 years and numerous talks with Ray and many other psychedelic trance artists in the past decades).

I'm not talking about the quality, style or what ever of these tracks, just about what they are and do (imo). These things are up to everyone to decide ;)

Apart from that, if you would take even more time to dig deep into the history of this 'genre', you'd realise a few things:

a ) goa isn't a genre, it was called 'goa trance' by party organizers in the mid 90's in Goa (India) to attract people; so it was a pure commercial move to call it 'goa trance'. Detail: at that time all sorts of 'weird' electronic music was played at those beaches - info by Ray Castle himself. It is an illusion to pose goa trance started to exist only at the mid 90's, nope, the sounds capes we so adore came a live gradually (listen to some 'proto goa' sets from the early 90's and you'll hear what I mean).

b ) That is why 'goa trance' could better be called 'avant garde trance' (quote by Ray Castle), and he is right: that is exactly what this music is all about. Fucking avant garde and out of the box: challenging the mind in a musical way. Goa therefore is a mind set to rethink electronic music to re-invent itself and NOT get stuck into a certain formula or sound scape.

c ) So that taken in consideration the term(s) 'old skool goa' (and new skool goa) is (are) far from correct and is (are) utterly useless to determine what has been released here.

(my personnel) Conclusion: this CD/album should be for everyone who wants to know about avant garde trance and wants to buy and support a wonderful project/artist/music!

-Our minds are polluted with the idea goa is a genre and the fact that goa should sound a certain way: guess again ;) Ray proves goa is a fluent, organic and non deterministic way to make psychedelic electronic dance music. Good thing to wake that up again Ray (and Suntrip): may it inspire more new artists to be more unique and utterly avant garde <3 ...and not just copy a existing sound without searching and using the 'basic' ingredients.

-Our minds are polluted with the idea this 'goa trance' has to be melodic and that these (well distinguished) melodies should lay 'on top' of the music. No, melodies are found also here in Rays music, but in a more non obvious way we hear nowadays. Again, Rays music is about being unique, psychedelic and avant garde, and - surprise - this is what (how we call it today) 'goa trance' is all about.

-Rays melodies are blasting and crazy...plus: this sound is far from 'early goa sound', it is the 'goa sound' from a certain period.

Without the intention to be smart or arrogant...yours truly :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 18/2/2018 at 3:56 AM, Manuser said:

Back in the day, the Rhythmystec tracks were mostly considered as fillers in compilations featuring the likes of MFG, Etnica, X-dream etc. simply because they were less good. If they are considered "great" tracks today perhaps it's because our standards had to lower (subconsciously? ) at some point. 

It's music I can appreciate but in the same time it's easily forgettable IMO.  

I have yet to buy the album, but that doesn't apply to Cathexis. It's considered a legendary track and IMO it deserves it.

Ray castle and his side projects, in my judgement, fall into the same category as The Infinity Project. Early pioneers, with a lot of experimentation and influenced from what where the "more established" genres of electronic music like acid house/trance,melodic techno,industrial, jungle. They have produced some phenomenal tracks but ,at the same time, a lot that are hit-and-miss. A lot of it also sounds very simple and definetely not so polished.

So, this albums is about the same. You have legendary tracks like Cathexis, Stellium and Time traveller and others that are not on the same level. 

What I really like about this album is that you hear so much variety,so many ideas and experimentation. Occasionaly, this is impresive while other times it's juse meeeeh.
I really like the subtle backround melodes, they are simple but very hypnotic/trancy.

Given the above. At this year's ZNA my favourite live was TIP and my favourite DJ set, Ray Castle's. For me, it really shows that these people are REAL music masters that really know their art. Since Graham Wood (TIP) was playing around sundown, he managed to time his music with these changes of light. I don't know if many people notice it but for me it was very obvious. Overall, a lot of people that didn't know much about the act were blown away.

Mark Ainley (DJ Solitare) on Stellium:

The track has an amazing array of sounds and textures, with a brilliantly structured introduction that is a chopped-up pastiche of elements that are presented later on in the track. The quasi-orchestral sounding sonorities and rhythmic punctuations give the track a dramatic flavour, while the nasal-sounding synth adds a mystical other-worldly quality. By the time the ‘guitar from outer space’ riff comes in, with a simple and somewhat geometric pattern, things blast into another dimension, and morphing alien voices chime in. After some random squelchy bleeps and radio noise prior to the work’s climax, an alien-sounding synth line seems to download the listener with an Egyptian-Pleiadian-style message and then all of the work’s lines overlay with each other with incredible polyphonic clarity.

A killer full-power track that was a classic night-time mystical stormer back in the 90s – still a timeless, inspired masterpiece!

• 3 weeks later...