Have anyone else tried to relisten his entire collection?

Ormion

Re-Listening to all the CDs in my collection is (or was, I will have to leave home office and go back to working at my office soon) actually my pandemia project. My CDs are sorted from A - Z, this means artist names but I also added all the compilations later since I also started to re-arrange my Collection. Chill-out and ambient stuff is also included there. But I won't be listening to that since for me this music not suitable for work. I was able to listen all the albums from artists A to D, Maybe 30 to 40 CDs or something. Then I started to listen to albums and compilations randomly (means I chose the CDs but I tried to listen not only to the stuff i allready played a lot back in the days). I'm still far away from listening to all the stuff I have, also because I started to order new stuff. I have to say I'm nearly as adicted to buying stuff as I was back in the days… :D:D I am listening to all the new CDs that come per mail but I also keep playing my old stuff. Some of the albums I rarely or never listened to are way better than I have expected, I found some real gems there (well, for my taste anyway). And the stuff I used to play a lot still moves me. What doesn't move me anymore is the "standard" prog, it's quite boring to me nowadays. But also in that category there are tracks or albums I still dig. Anyway, I now wonder if and how I will continue listening to goa and psy when regular work starts again, I rarely find time to listen to Music at home, besides the tracks I use for djing (not psy or goa). On the other hand I started to write down the tracks I could use for a mix, mostly goa and neo-goa stuff. I will have to find out if I can mix that stuff tho…

Mostly these days I listen to music outside of the house: wife and daughter don't have the best taste, so I've had to digitise everything. Having a player that can play each album randomly is great as I end up listening to some fantastic albums I probably wouldn't have actively chosen to listen to. Years ago I compiled about 3000 CDs to FLAC and out them into a HDD. Unfortunately my wife decided she'd take this HDD and attach it to the cable box, deleting everything so she could watch utter tripe. One day I might find the time to re-rip everything. 

Time is too short with little kids, work & other interests. I'm very particular about music I listen to now & I find a lot of what I used to like I just don't enjoy anymore. Also I had a horribly abusive time on mAny fronts from until I left home at age 26, and much of the music I listened to until then brings back those memories so yeah nah a significant part of my musical history is locked in storage forever. 

7 hours ago, abasio said:

Mostly these days I listen to music outside of the house: wife and daughter don't have the best taste, so I've had to digitise everything. Having a player that can play each album randomly is great as I end up listening to some fantastic albums I probably wouldn't have actively chosen to listen to. Years ago I compiled about 3000 CDs to FLAC and out them into a HDD. Unfortunately my wife decided she'd take this HDD and attach it to the cable box, deleting everything so she could watch utter tripe. One day I might find the time to re-rip everything. 

dude can't imagine how long that took!!!
my collection is still pretty big but obviously nothing on what it used to be, i tend to listen to records alot these days of all genres, my main listening point is the car, and i have no digital platform in my relic, so it's cd all the way, which is great as it's albums all the way, at different times of the day, in different moods, and there are those moments when a track comes on at the right time and blows your mind, i scratch my head and say, i have had this album for 25 years, why have i not heard it properley til now!!
i love to go into all my folders of ripped cd's (remember those times when i flogged my collection off for cheap) and find all these obscure comps with exclusive tracks and shit that you don't hear on the regular comps, and dig into the archives of the past

It took about a year of doing it every night. How I miss having that kind of time :lol:

Love something randomly amazing coming on the realising it's something you've heard many times before but not really listened. 

• 7 months later...

Yes god damn it, I'm still doing that!:D

Unfortunately 2020 was a shitty year for all my hobbies including listening to music, but at least the quarantine kinda helped.

I am at no 340. But I still have 1075 releases left! :mellow:

On 2/9/2021 at 9:57 AM, Ormion said:

Yes god damn it, I'm still doing that!:D

Unfortunately 2020 was a shitty year for all my hobbies including listening to music, but at least the quarantine kinda helped.

I am at no 340. But I still have 1075 releases left! :mellow:

good luck it takes real discipline, have been doing this now for years and lost count, but not how i started out day by day week by week, i have 4 teenagers and it just doesn't work that way anymore, am still pulling out some amazing stuff that blows my mind now, but didn't 20 plus years ago, ageing is great.... sometimes

I’ve started doing this, going back to “the dawn of time” (~1993), starting with Juno Reactor, Eat Static, X-Dream, Astral Projection, and Posford’s projects, listening to all the stuff I ripped years ago chronologically and filling in gaps. I have no illusions about finishing but it’s been fun hearing the old sounds and detecting the influences on the newer ones. When I quit DJ-ing around 2008 I generally stopped listening to psytrance, though I stuck with psybient (mostly Ultimae) for a while. I got nostalgic during the pandemic, and discovered just how huge psytrance had gotten in the last decade. I felt the urge to hear how things changed over that time, and ended up going back to the beginning instead!

I started doing this last year, around August, my collection is not too big, I have around 300 albums (won't lie, most of them downloaded for free), going by alphabetical order, letter X right now so almost done. Next is the compilations but I have only about 100.

The truth is, I don't find it really enjoyable, going by alphabetical order I often have to listen to something I am not really in the mood for. To go faster I skipped everything I already heard before but still a big task. Bottom line: not very pleasant to be honest, but of course great moments too along the way :) 

I'm still on with the mission. But after listening to all artist albums untill E or something like that I got into buying stuff again. Since then I'm occupied with listening to all my new albums and compilations. When I'm finished with that I will continue where I left. At least if I'm still working from home, otherwise I doubt I will have enough time to do it.

I don't post much anymore, but still lurk from time to time. I've amassed quite the collection over the years and it's just sitting in storage in the basement. Boxes and boxes of CDs that I am in the process of ripping to hard drives. I want to keep collecting CDs, but it gets expensive when they have to be shipped from another continent. Also it's just sitting in the basement. What's the point? So I think I will go digital from now on (even though I love Global Sect's presentation).

I have no pattern when listening to music, just what strikes me at the time. Also like anyone I have varied music tastes that go from goa and psy to hip-hop and jazz piano and industrial. For example yesterday I listened to so old school goa, but today I've gone thru hours of Front Line Assembly. So I listen to music while ripping, but also when taking the dog for a walk or working out.

One thing I do know over the 15 or so years I've listened to our type of music is that I have no time or patience for poor quality. I'm sure I dumped many gigs of music when I used to find things on the net.

My collection is digital and I have distilled a list of like ~300 tracks that needs further refinement. Other times, I just put my player on random (in a sea of like 15k+ tracks). I've given up on the idea of trying to listen through EVERYTHING in alphabetical order. Technically, the randomiser doesn't pick anything twice in the same playthrough so there's hope of reaching the end .. some day.

I feel like I should be moving on to some other genre not stick to goa. I'm exploring around, sure, but I always come crawling back for more goa trance ..

• 2 weeks later...

I have everything loaded onto iTunes and into one playlist. 1,626 albums and 9,839 songs. I usually just hit shuffle and see what comes up. I usually listen about 5 hours a day with Bose 700 NC as I get stuff done around the city. The whole thing is downloaded on to my iPhone and is up to 164 GB now. It took me *a ton* of work to build the playlist. 

If I listened every day for 10 years I’d probably start to learn most of it. But then I’m also adding about 1000 new songs per year to it depending on what comes out

I know AAC is not as good quality but I still load some flacs into the phone for better quality. I remember the days when I had a 6 cd shuffle player but the ability to shuffle 9,839 songs on an iphone that you carry around is pretty incredible.

Last week I had it on shuffle and Chi-AD’s Eye Am the I and Pandemicus’ Out of Space came up. Both incredible tracks. Eye am the I is one of the all time greatest tracks I think

0E38DD56-782B-48F6-AAF8-894C8649B212.jpeg

CEA0F4A0-B60F-4C3C-BED9-0DE92FD8C6E8.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2021 at 11:11 AM, Manuser said:

I started doing this last year, around August, my collection is not too big, I have around 300 albums (won't lie, most of them downloaded for free), going by alphabetical order, letter X right now so almost done. Next is the compilations but I have only about 100.

The truth is, I don't find it really enjoyable, going by alphabetical order I often have to listen to something I am not really in the mood for. To go faster I skipped everything I already heard before but still a big task. Bottom line: not very pleasant to be honest, but of course great moments too along the way :)

Yeah listening to your stuff in alphabetical order has its downsides. But if I don't do it like that I forget which albums I have allready played. Plus I tend to listen to stuff I suppose I would like and miss some of the gems that are hidden in the unknown parts of my collection. But that's just how I'm doing eat, to each their own.

Well I'm for the first time selling my CDs (etc.) collection, instead of buying .. Feels weird but also good. I'm ripping all CDs so not all is lost. Collecting physical music has been my only exessive materialistic weakness. No more. I'm free. Makes me think of Antic :rolleyes: So for hours and hours I've been playing all the music ripped on random. It's nice.