Have anyone else tried to relisten his entire collection?

Ormion

So I have ended up in a point that I have so many releases I've only listened to them once. Heck I have some I haven't listened to them at all! Too much work, too much stress, too much of everything.

So 2 months ago I said fuck it, let's do it! I will relisten my entire collection one cd at a time. The only ones I will skip are the ones I've listened to a billion times before. So I only have approximately 1200 cds to go! :ph34r:

I'll try to listen to at least one per day (I failed so far). That's about 3-4 years. Cool...

I'm going with alphabetical order and I just started B... Oh boy.

So have anyone else tried it before? Did you manage to listen to everything? 

I have the same idea in my head for the last year. One disc every day, secluded in a room or with headphones, anything really as long as I pay proper attention.

I have a 2 year old so I might have to wait for some years when I will be able to do that, lol.

I've sold (almost) all average cds from my collection, leaving only "cream de la cream" left. That'd be around 130 cds. Point being, why keep cds in your shelf you'd never listen because the very next cd is much better? 

Anyway, good luck with your project Ormion!

27 minutes ago, Oopie said:

Point being, why keep cds in your shelf you'd never listen because the very next cd is much better?

The idea is that one day I will be carefree to sit down and listen to all those cds. 

The truth is I will probably die without giving enough attention to half of my collection. 

On 25/01/2018 at 3:27 PM, Ormion said:

I'm going with alphabetical order and I just started B... Oh boy.

What I find strange is that you go with alphabetical order. Is that how you have your cd collection arranged? And do you arrange aplhabetically by title or artist?

When and IF i start relistening my collection I will probably do it per label/chronologically so I can hear the evolution in sound. Exception in the case of artists that have a long discography (e.g. The Orb) so I can hear the changes in their sound.

On 25/01/2018 at 10:22 PM, Oopie said:

I've sold (almost) all average cds from my collection, leaving only "cream de la cream" left. That'd be around 130 cds. Point being, why keep cds in your shelf you'd never listen because the very next cd is much better? 

Anyway, good luck with your project Ormion!

So you only eat your favourite food? Go out just with your best friend? Watch only the best of Tv programmes?

Even on the dancefloor you cannot have a set with just the great tracks. You need the others as well, if anything they make the Great feel Greater B)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thanosp81 said:

What I find strange is that you go with alphabetical order. Is that how you have your cd collection arranged? And do you arrange aplhabetically by title or artist?

When and IF i start relistening my collection I will probably do it per label/chronologically so I can hear the evolution in sound. Exception in the case of artists that have a long discography (e.g. The Orb) so I can hear the changes in their sound.

I have my collection arranged by artist (aphabetically) and then compilations (alphabetically by title). I want all albums by the same artist to be next to each other on the shelf.

However when it comes to relistening I chose to go with alphabetically by title in general, otherwise my first compilation would be in 2 years.

As for the evolution of sound it's an interesting idea, but I want to mix all styles instead of listening to Goa exclusively for 1 whole year.

Every release I bought I have listened to at least once before putting it in my collection. I also always write down the tracks I can use in my dj sets in lists. These are my favorite tracks or just tracks that do something good that I can use in a set. What does happen a lot is that I rediscover a track or that I suddenly "understand" a track I didn't like before. But this only happens spontaneously or by accident. A dj playing it on the right moment, Youtube playing random tracks, relistening to a cd and not skipping to my favorite ones etc... :) I could never relisten to my collection as a project.

16 hours ago, thanosp81 said:

So you only eat your favourite food? Go out just with your best friend? Watch only the best of Tv programmes?

Even on the dancefloor you cannot have a set with just the great tracks. You need the others as well, if anything they make the Great feel Greater B)

130cds would probably more translate to having 130 favourite foods, 130 great friends and 130 watchable tv programmes. Sounds a bit too much now that I think of it.... but everything in life is decisions. You can have great food, friends & tv shows instead of average ones if you just choose to. So I'd rather not fully agree with your metaphor mr. Thanos...

Of course you can have a set with only great tracks, what the f...! I don't know if you're kinda choosing wrong parties on your side of the world my friend. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hehehe, here we have something that's not a problem for me, because I ain't got that many CDs and vinyls :D

Lemme count ... it's approximately 200 CDs. That's way doable. And vinly is way less, maybe 30 to 40 pieces.

But because of the small collection, I have listened to every piece already. And I don't think there's anything I only listened to once. Mostly more often. I think I'll pass :D 

Never thought that a small collection will pay off one day, haha :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 10:03 AM, thanosp81 said:

Quality over quantity

On 1/29/2018 at 10:03 AM, thanosp81 said:

But this is also true. And sometimes a mediocre track (on its own) will sound good if mixed in a DJ set.

• 11 months later...
On 2/20/2018 at 5:23 AM, trancedigital said:

That article is great. It hits home perfectly, and for sooo many of you I imagine :)

my collections have always been in genres, with aprox 8, psy, metal, electronic/dance. pop/ alternative, jazz, new zealand
once apon a time i had 5 towers just for goa, now i have just 1, but as i ripped every disc i sold, have dozens of big fat folders of cd's, i try to go through them occasionally and tend to gravitate towards the obscure comps and albums i don't remember listening to, owning big collections really sucks sometimes

as yes i will never listen to a 10th again, prob is hard for me to sell the other genres as is time taxing, and hate owning all this stuff, is taxing in itself moving house etc

• 9 months later...
On 1/29/2018 at 10:49 PM, Ormion said:

I have my collection arranged by artist (aphabetically) and then compilations (alphabetically by title). I want all albums by the same artist to be next to each other on the shelf.

However when it comes to relistening I chose to go with alphabetically by title in general, otherwise my first compilation would be in 2 years.

As for the evolution of sound it's an interesting idea, but I want to mix all styles instead of listening to Goa exclusively for 1 whole year.

bump :lol:

On 1/29/2018 at 4:01 PM, thanosp81 said:

I separate artists from compilations. Artists are listed alphabetical and then chronologically if I have two or more albums by the same artist. Compilations are ordered by label name and then chronologically.

I seldom remember titles of albums or compilations, but I always remember the artist or the label. When I listen to music I'm often interested in a mood rather than a track, so going by label is very convenient, as a good compilation tend to focus on a specific mood/sound.

But that is the way of the cd era. These days it's all about playlists, regardless of label, much better.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 11:50 AM, Trolsk said:

I'm often interested in a mood rather than a track, so going by label is very convenient, as a good compilation tend to focus on a specific mood/sound.

Totally agree, that's why I mainly go by label. That and because I like to see the catalogue numbers on the spine of the covers :blush: I guess that's the collector in me.

I'm several years into completely restructuring my entire collection, listening through, and at least provisionally filing and rating absolutely everything. Since I am mostly interested in working with this music as a DJ all albums and compilations have been dissolved into their constituent parts and scattered to wherever each individual track belongs. Somehow it is all magically coming together... and hopefully I'll end up producing some interesting mixes and maybe even a few articles from all this work some day.

• Like 2