Forestdelic Records - Where To Start?

Grayling

I mainly listen to goa when it comes to psychedelic trance, but the squirmy squelches of forest appeal to me quite a bit too. My problem is I've never delved into the genre, there are too many releases, and I spend my energies exploring music I already know (techno, goa, dub techno). After some cursory listens it seems that Forestdelic Records puts it out high quality tunes. Can anyone point me to the best releases? It would be much appreciated! 

Long story short, I'm lazy and want good forest psy. Please help :)

PS If there are better forest labels I should be looking at, please mention those too! 

Hope I don't stray too far from you original request but as Redo gave you a great list of forest essentials I thought I'd point you to another interesting genre under the forest spectrum: forest-goa! :D Especially since you listen to Goa mainly. Usually based in the goa sounds but darker and more chaotic, with maddening melodies and the moody, quirky vibe associated with forest. 

Ka-sol - Fairytale, Gorm Höller - Böller and Kiriyama - Reach Escape Velocity is probably a great introduction. Also Chronicle of Mystery recs (VA Chronicle of Schlabbaduerst is amazing goa-madness), and ofc Schlabbaduerst rekkords.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forestdelic is a good label, but their sound is closer to UK psytrance than Forest IMO.

Some fantastic pure Forest labels:

Stoneage: Defunct, but one of the best early forest labels

Treetrolla: For the authentic scandinavian forest sound

Sanaton: One of the best forest labels

Parvati: They started as darkpsy, but now they are almost exclusively forest

Schlabbaduerst: For the classic melodic forest style

Chronicle Of Mystery: Similar style to Schlabbaduerst

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Where to begin... :) Could you maybe post some of your favorite tracks or parts? Then I can recommend you tracks in a similar style.

A lot of decent labels and subdivisions were mentioned here. I usually see these big subdivisions in the genre. I put my biggest recommendations in the beginning of the sum up. I think your taste in Forestdelic Records resembles the "abstract" sum up the most. :) I also posted my dj sets here in case you want to hear a lot of recommendations at once.

A) Oldskool Forest / Melodic Forest: Schlabbaduerst Rekkords (check out their Bandcamp and also the Bandcamp of the individual artists like BOTFB, Ka-Sol and Zoon), Chronicle of Mystery Records, Kiriyama, Kluster. 

B ) Sanaton style "mossy" Forest (I'm using Sanaton in the name here because they were the first label that I listened to that was releasing this style): all the Hallucinogenic Horses Artists (Derango, Traskel, Makadam etc...), Attoya, The Cure Records / Medulla Oblongata Records, Flipkompagniet Records (Smuds, Volapyk, Orhm), Treetrolla Records, Mighty Quinn Records (latest VA!!), Shivattva, Oneiromanix, Digital Shiva Power Records, Vantara Vichitra Records...

C) More "abstract" Forest that leans closer to Dark Psy: Parvati Records (a lot of variety here, all quality, my fav release is Arjuna - Primal Contact), Farebi Jalebi, Phreex Networx, Lost Theory Records (also a lot of variety and some "Sanaton" style too), Sonic Loom Records. A lot of Japanese artists in this style too like Gu, Jangaramongara, Shiibashunsuke...

D) And then there's this label that releases a very distinct and unique style that I can't put anywhere else: Yggdrasil Records!! Loke / Hutti Heitta / Freeform Syndicate + almost everything else released on there.

• Like 2

On 27/01/2018 at 6:40 PM, Hasheeshian said:

Ka-sol - Fairytale, Gorm Höller - Böller and Kiriyama - Reach Escape Velocity is probably a great introduction. Also Chronicle of Mystery recs (VA Chronicle of Schlabbaduerst is amazing goa-madness), and ofc Schlabbaduerst rekkords.

THIS! 

I would also add Sanaton records! 

On 12/02/2018 at 1:56 PM, Digitalys said:

Where to begin... :) Could you maybe post some of your favorite tracks or parts? Then I can recommend you tracks in a similar style.

A lot of decent labels and subdivisions were mentioned here. I usually see these big subdivisions in the genre. I put my biggest recommendations in the beginning of the sum up. I think your taste in Forestdelic Records resembles the "abstract" sum up the most. :) I also posted my dj sets here in case you want to hear a lot of recommendations at once.

A) Oldskool Forest / Melodic Forest: Schlabbaduerst Rekkords (check out their Bandcamp and also the Bandcamp of the individual artists like BOTFB, Ka-Sol and Zoon), Chronicle of Mystery Records, Kiriyama, Kluster. 

B ) Sanaton style "mossy" Forest (I'm using Sanaton in the name here because they were the first label that I listened to that was releasing this style): all the Hallucinogenic Horses Artists (Derango, Traskel, Makadam etc...), Attoya, The Cure Records / Medulla Oblongata Records, Flipkompagniet Records (Smuds, Volapyk, Orhm), Treetrolla Records, Mighty Quinn Records (latest VA!!), Shivattva, Oneiromanix, Digital Shiva Power Records, Vantara Vichitra Records...

C) More "abstract" Forest that leans closer to Dark Psy: Parvati Records (a lot of variety here, all quality, my fav release is Arjuna - Primal Contact), Farebi Jalebi, Phreex Networx, Lost Theory Records (also a lot of variety and some "Sanaton" style too), Sonic Loom Records. A lot of Japanese artists in this style too like Gu, Jangaramongara, Shiibashunsuke...

D) And then there's this label that releases a very distinct and unique style that I can't put anywhere else: Yggdrasil Records!! Loke / Hutti Heitta / Freeform Syndicate + almost everything else released on there.

I managed to catch GU, Jangaramongara wooooff! that was some crazy energy on the dancefloor! 

8 hours ago, Starkraver said:

THIS! 

I would also add Sanaton records! 

Sanaton is usually more on the "mossy" (as Digitalys accurately expressed it), crazy side IMO.  They have released a bit of oldschool goa-sounding stuff on their comps though, such as Zoon and Ka-sol :) 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, kicma said:

Which kind of forest is Time For Slime/Taigan Sunset? Would like to hear something similar

One of a kind ;) Closest would probably be stuff from the sanaton-guys.. Derango, Purosurpo, Hallucinogenic Horses etc.

Have you heard the collab-tracks between Taigan and Troglodytes? Each one is a masterpiece..

• 2 weeks later...

You've all given me hours of music to investigate, thanks. Battle of the Future Buddhas and Schlabbaduerst Recs are the bomb. I knew of them already, and no new discoveries have beat them.