Compulsive repetitive listening disorder

psychedelic chipmunk

Yes, I just made that up .. in short, I'm listening to very small amount of different tracks on permament repeat. I blast Koxbox - Fuel on at least twice a day, then MFG's Project Genesis album runs through, MWNN teleport/Jack-in-the-box etc.. You get the idea.

Is it normal to be liking/listening a very specific kind of goa (say, 200ish tracks) instead of finding new music to listen to? Am I on the clock before completely losing my mind or is this ok?

I have same 'problem'. Stuck on bellow than 100 tracks because I want too!

Found what drives me these days and I repeat it. Ofcourse I listen to new stuff from time to time and if it drives me I put it to the list :)

It's the other way around for me. Always looking forward for new discoveries, never putting enough times on personal favourites. It wouldn't be that bad if I was listening only to psy, but I'm also big on ambient, vaporwave, synthwave and underground metal. So yeah, this "compulsive disorder" really is a curse...

Apparently music is like any drug, in that if it's is overused, tolerance sets in and it becomes less and less enjoyable as the novelty wears off and the chemical rush becomes blunted.

So even if I love a song or album, care is taken not to overplay it since I fear wearing it out. 

The other side to this is that I think when our brains can predict the melody, there is an increase in the enjoyment of the music. So the only way to fully understanding a song's core structure is to listen to it enough that it becomes ingrained into our memories. 

So I try to find a blanace between those two aspects... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gfp1 said:

The other side to this is that I think when our brains can predict the melody, there is an increase in the enjoyment of the music.

I have also noticed that when I listen to something that is new to me and it somehow resonates with my "inner craziness" I get massive chills and enjoy the track a lot. For instance, the first time I heard Alienapia - Inner poison. For the longest time I couldn't really grasp IFO, I only liked Electra and Celaeno at first. After listening through the album several times over several years I actually realised every single track is a massive treat. It's weird how that works out, some people listen to IFO once and say it's one of the best albums ever.

Of course, I TRY to keep an open mind and every now and then I do find more recent works I enjoy, but they don't grow on me as much as 90s MFG/Koxbox/Pleiadians/Technossomy (or Kundalini for that matter)/D5 etc etc etc. Of the more recent ones I can barely name anything by heart. "Ultimate Experience - Lazarus rising" comes to mind and "Agneton - Horizon in your head"  and... and.. see?

I have a bit of both: I listen to every single release (within certain subgenres) coming out via Youtube, Discogs, Bandcamp at least once. When something really is my thing I can put in on repeat multiple times a day, for days on straight. Usually I try mixing other tracks that I think are similar into it and try out multiple ways and write the best one down. So yeah, a lot of repeats for me too. :D