Personalized recommendations: What's missing in my collection?

Luminon

Hello dear fellow listeners!  I hope I am not breaking any local rules. I did search for "rules", but only found rules for reviewing. So please have a look over this and tell me in your best opinion, what are you missing in that list? I am looking for some new stuff in my collection, but having a hard time to find it.

I am not a big Goahead. I'm more into the Swedish trance (you know, with drums) and progressive. I can't get into most Discogs recommendations, sometimes it looks like I already picked out all the good stuff. But it's been years! Something good had to come out meantime. Atmos sounds nice, but he's kinda slow for exercise. If I want ambient music, I go to Ultimae Records. Almost all of the listed music is fast and consistent enough for a 1-hour workout. But it's also trippy and interesting.

All time favorites:
human blue - misstarryas xperience, Base Basket Buffet
Son Kite - Colours
Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger, Twisted
Prometheus - Robot O'Chan, Corridor of Mirrors
Infected Mushroom - Converting..., I am the supervisor, BP Empire
Raja Ram's Stashbag vol. 4
Sonic Elysium - Mahaon
Astral Projection - Amen, Dancing Galaxy
Aural Planet - Power Liquids
Blue Planet Corporation - Blue Planet
Filteria - Daze of our lives, Lost in the wild
Green Nuns of the Revolution - Rock Bitch Mafia
Vibrasphere - Archipelago (can't exercise to this though)

Decent enough to keep:
Andromeda - Sensations
Antix - Lull
Khetzal - Corolle
Cosmosis - Contact, Synergy, Cosmology, Psychedelica Melodica... yes, he's nice to listen to.
Jaia - Fiction
Juno Reactor - Beyond the infinite, Transmissions
Nystagmus - Immaculate perception
Organix - Photosynthesis
Pavel Svimba - Space Babuska (yes, really)
Simply D - Fragrance of Violet (on the verge of commercial, but good side of the verge)
Solar Fields - Earthshine (must honor the maestro)
Sub6 - Saved (kinda short  )
Tegma - Encoded decoded
Transwave - Phototropic
Chromosome - DMT Cowboys
Mentalimage - Dreams 2
Cosma - Nonstop

Good songs, didn't like the rest of the album:
DigiCult - Star Travel
Freq - Dreambody, Carbon-based lifeform
Nova Fractal - Blindsight, Common Cold, Connect
Ticon - We are the mammoth hunters
Tandu - The System

Hate list: (no good reason, just stuff that isn't like misStArRyAs Xperience)

All the Goa trance that has all the same key lowly growly almost atonal pseudo-melody.
Anything by Son Kite that's not Colours. Or Where the fields never end...
New Infected Mushroom stuff. Except Army of Mushrooms.
Most Eat Static stuff. Except Dead Planet.
Can't get into Logic Bomb.
X-Dream, The Delta, Trinodia
Power Source - Cosmic waves
Dark Nebula

Hope list:
something by Astrix
Hydrophonic ‎– Aquabatics
something by Ananda Shake

• Like 1

nice favourites list. i'd say you have a good taste in music if you had not included logic bomb at the other end of the spectrum ;)

what's blatantly missing in your collection is etnoscope. for goa trance i think you'd also like aeternum/ominus/encens. good progressive artists that'd fit in with the rest are protonica and soul kontakt. also don't forget to check out ticon's latest album; it's different than his usual stuff. maybe also robert elster; his album is not purely psy but crossing the borders between progressive and minimalistic acid trance, but since he is half of vibrasphere it's still excellent music.

What's definitely missing from your list is Algae Bloom - The Blossom, unless ~130BPM melodic prog (or "daypsy" as the artist himself likes to call it) is too slow for your tastes :)

8 hours ago, Luminon said:

All the Goa trance that has all the same key lowly growly almost atonal pseudo-melody.

Just out of pure interest, mind giving one or a few examples of this? Just to see if your definition differs from mine (and thus, if there's something I should not recommend).

14 hours ago, Padmapani said:

nice favourites list. i'd say you have a good taste in music if you had not included logic bomb at the other end of the spectrum ;)

what's blatantly missing in your collection is etnoscope. for goa trance i think you'd also like aeternum/ominus/encens. good progressive artists that'd fit in with the rest are protonica and soul kontakt. also don't forget to check out ticon's latest album; it's different than his usual stuff. maybe also robert elster; his album is not purely psy but crossing the borders between progressive and minimalistic acid trance, but since he is half of vibrasphere it's still excellent music.

Ethnoscope: Right, I especially liked two songs of theirs: Jävla Sladdar and Odin's Kraft. The whole album sounds nice, but it fallen aside because it's quite relaxed. It doesn't distract from the pain of workout, the way that Infected Mushroom can! :) 
 - I will look for Protonica's least minimalist album.
 - Robert Elster made an album? Must hear it! Thanks for the tip!
 - Ticon's latest album is in my probationary folder. Casual listens didn't hook me, so it will be put to the test in practice, next workout.
 - Soul Kontakt sounds nice! I'll see if I can put his EPs  together to make some full-length mix.

7 hours ago, Paul Eye said:

What's definitely missing from your list is Algae Bloom - The Blossom, unless ~130BPM melodic prog (or "daypsy" as the artist himself likes to call it) is too slow for your tastes :)

Just out of pure interest, mind giving one or a few examples of this? Just to see if your definition differs from mine (and thus, if there's something I should not recommend).

Algae Bloom is very, very good. Even though I dislike Ektoplazm
As for the bad goa melody examples, that would be these albums. It feels like it's supposed to promote suspense, but a whole album of wicked suspense is too much. Hell, it's the whole genre of the suspenseful melody. It's everywhere, even in Khetzal - Corolle, although that album is great otherwise. After all these years, it just sounds to me like somebody long ago in Goa jungle had a troop of monkeys steal 90 % of their keys and was stuck with just a couple of notes, but still had to play a concert. And then it stuck and now many great artists are limiting themselves to just a few suspenseful notes, playing them extra fast, just switching a key here and there. There's just so much variety you can get out of a monkey-raided synth. I know Hallucinogen counts as Goa trance, but he's nothing like that.
Here are some examples. I can tell they're good and they're trying their best, but they're held back by the Goa monkeys.
Hypnoxock - Eurythmia [Goa Madness Records] (2017)
Etnica - Alien Protein
Filteria ‎– Sky Input, Heliopolis
MFG ‎– New Kind Of World
Morphic Resonance - Trip To The Stars
Dimension 5 - TransStellar 

Good stuff found: 
GoaTree - Black Star Of The Death - this is Goa, but what comes to mind is freedom on the keyboard. This guy kept the monkeys from his synth with a shotgun. Maybe sacrificed a few of them to the goddess Kali.
Ethnica - Mad crickets - just a song, but it proves that it doesn't have to be that way! I must check out the whole album.
K.O.B. - Identity Mash - Filteria's alter. Pleasant surprise!
Perfect Blind - Stratum  - not trance, but captured my ear, must check it out. I've been persisting on a diet of Martin Nonstatic lately and this fits in. I think I will put it in dark corner with E-Mantra - Hermit's Sanctuary.

Okay, no offense meant, but you quite thoroughly managed to confuse me with your likes/dislikes and goa monkeys :D Makes it a bit difficult to figure out what to recommend.
And what exactly is there about Ektoplazm that you dislike? I can honestly say that you're the first person I've ever seen say that.

Wizzy Noise - Elecktro Theater is a fantastic album (too bad it is not on Youtube), Discogs link > https://www.discogs.com/Wizzy-Noise-Elecktro-Theater/release/144255
It should be perfect for a good work out. 

You can also try 12 moons - Solid State Youtube link
Drone - 23 days Youtube link is a fantastic album too, but more like Atmos, on the chill side but great nonetheless.

And how about more intense psytrance like OOOD - You think you are > https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=OOOD+you+think+you+are 

20 hours ago, Luminon said:

As for the bad goa melody examples, that would be these albums. It feels like it's supposed to promote suspense, but a whole album of wicked suspense is too much. Hell, it's the whole genre of the suspenseful melody. It's everywhere, even in Khetzal - Corolle, although that album is great otherwise. After all these years, it just sounds to me like somebody long ago in Goa jungle had a troop of monkeys steal 90 % of their keys and was stuck with just a couple of notes, but still had to play a concert. And then it stuck and now many great artists are limiting themselves to just a few suspenseful notes, playing them extra fast, just switching a key here and there. There's just so much variety you can get out of a monkey-raided synth. I know Hallucinogen counts as Goa trance, but he's nothing like that.
Here are some examples. I can tell they're good and they're trying their best, but they're held back by the Goa monkeys.
Hypnoxock - Eurythmia [Goa Madness Records] (2017)
Etnica - Alien Protein
Filteria ‎– Sky Input, Heliopolis
MFG ‎– New Kind Of World
Morphic Resonance - Trip To The Stars
Dimension 5 - TransStellar 

I chuckled while reading this. Not really the way I see it, but funny none-the-less.

How about the latest Oforia? 'Read more...' is definitely worth the listen. https://www.discogs.com/Oforia-Read-More/release/8985054

On 16. 12. 2017 at 7:49 PM, Paul Eye said:

Okay, no offense meant, but you quite thoroughly managed to confuse me with your likes/dislikes and goa monkeys :D Makes it a bit difficult to figure out what to recommend.
And what exactly is there about Ektoplazm that you dislike? I can honestly say that you're the first person I've ever seen say that.

Please ask Iron Sun! He seems to get it. Maybe it's some Arabian or Indian influence in Goa, but a few repetitive and fast notes in most Goa albums, in suspenseful mood, how hard is it to miss?
Anyway, once upon a time I learned about Ektoplazm, the place of free music. I downloaded lots of albums and they all rubbed me the wrong way. Notably - Easily Embarrassed - Tales of the coin spinner. Lots of things I found on Ektoplazm were something weird, like Space Granny (Babuska). Maybe I'm biased against free stuff when it comes to quality. People shouldn't tell me if something is from Ektoplazm or not, so I don't get biased :) 

13 hours ago, Manuser said:

Wizzy Noise - Elecktro Theater is a fantastic album (too bad it is not on Youtube), Discogs link > https://www.discogs.com/Wizzy-Noise-Elecktro-Theater/release/144255
It should be perfect for a good work out. 

You can also try 12 moons - Solid State Youtube link
Drone - 23 days Youtube link is a fantastic album too, but more like Atmos, on the chill side but great nonetheless.

And how about more intense psytrance like OOOD - You think you are > https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=OOOD+you+think+you+are 

Wizzy Noise? Judging from the first song "Radical Payne", it's simple, repetitive, and yet so catchy! I like this! Thank you very much! I wish more artists knew the meaning of catchy. This is going to go well together, I actually read during workout, so simpler music is not bad. It reminds me of Son Kite - Colours in this aspect. Got any more of where that came from? Their Renaissance album has the highest rating I've ever seen on Discogs, with 47 votes. 
12 Moons Solid State... That's somehow familiar. Will give it a second listen.
Drone - 23 days - you're right, it's on the softer side. I'm not sure I actually have a niche for this. Too soft for the trance folder, too hard for the psychill folder, too normal for the electronic folder.
OOOD is an odd one. The album is sometimes simple and loud, like Techno, then it changes, but it gets weird. I can tell it's very original, it's going to take some growing on me.
It's not easy for me to review a lot of music at once, because I get deeply tranced out. Can't type.

11 hours ago, IronSun said:

I chuckled while reading this. Not really the way I see it, but funny none-the-less.

How about the latest Oforia? 'Read more...' is definitely worth the listen. https://www.discogs.com/Oforia-Read-More/release/8985054

Oh, you understand! Maybe you can explain to others. Maybe there's a name for these repetitive Goa melodies.
I will check out Oforia for sure.

Anahata - Conduktor The Unmade Sound

Bubble - Coldsun

Escape Into

Synsun - Phoenix

Talpa - the art of being non

Talpa - The Path

the misted muppet - from the legend

Psy Conversion - chapter one

Dark Soho - Combustion

Alienapia - Goapocalipsis

Fractal Vivisection - Through The Vortex 

The Riddler - From Myst To Twist

• 3 weeks later...
On 22. 12. 2017 at 2:40 PM, Dagani said:

Anahata - Conduktor

Synsun - Phoenix

Synsun - Phoenix has been growing on me a lot. I don't understand why the album has such a low rating on discogs. The first track is a blast, I like it. The Phoenix track 8 is a perfectly designed sound mayhem, it reminds me of The Lone Deranger a lot. And the next track 9 sounds like slowed down "Star Shpongled Banner" and "Around The World in a Tea Daze" slowed down, which I also love. There's a lot of talent to create something so similar to the maestro Posford. Thank you for the tip!!!

I will need to give Conduktor a second chance, I heard it once years ago when I preferred the Unmade sound album.

Sorry for listening so sporadically, there's been some health issues, so I'm gathering the albums for the hopefully near future!