Kids and Psytrance

psydmt

Some of you must have been a round  awhile and probably now have kids. My daughters are now 15 and 13 and I have been playing psytrance with them since they were born. They detest it with a passion (even though I am playing every day somewhere -car, kitchen, lounge etc).

My daughter will always turn it off when she walks past and put on her Taylor Swift or whatever. I have tried to get her into chillout-Solar fields,, Sphongle, Abakus or whatever but no such luck.

I showed her the video of Melting Point at Ozora (fantastic video if you haven't seen it) and I said would you like to go and she said NO! I feel a bit deflated lol.

Do your kids like EDM or psytrance or chillout? 

My daughters are now 7 and almost 9. Both of them can appreciate goa in the background, even with the volume up a notch.
The oldest one sometimes nods her head up and down to goa and psy, but the youngest doesn't care yet. She doesn't like high volumes contrary to her sister. :-)

But interesting topic. I wonder how their taste will develop. Probably I will not understand the music they listen to, but secretely I hope at least one of them will become an audiophile with a special place in her heart for goa. :lol:

It was kinda like that with me. My mom used to listen to Goa (She was a Postford fan), Orbital, Amon Tobin and lots of other interesting electronic music from the 90's. The first one I cared about was Voodoo People by the prodigy. I listened to it so much my mom couldn't stand it anymore. And then I really liked Khetzal's Corolle. I listened to it to do everything and then started to explore the genre more and grew into a total goa-head. :D

Edit: I'm more of a goa-head now than my mom ever was :P

• 2 weeks later...

I work with people with mental disabilities. Most of them have a socio-emotional age of 1 year - 3 years and the cognitive age of 2 - 5 years. They sometimes borrow cd's from me and I always let them choose which genre themselves. When it comes to dance music they tend to react and move to the rhythm and percussion works the most. Also the melody when it has a very distinct sound and "easy to follow" composition. The people who like it tend to also like 90's Dance music just as much. 

I knew one person who was blind and had autism who liked Khetzal the most because of the violin and melodies.

• 3 months later...

I had my younger sister listen to psytrance with me since she was 10-11 years old.

I mostly listened to Astrix, Silence Hill, Dali and other full on shits, but eventually moved to Goa Trance.

She's 19 now, and even though I dont live with her, sometimes I sent her some tracks from Youtube for her to listen, to see if she remember them. She told me she liked some tracks I've sent her like : Yahel - Waves Of Sound, Infected Mushroom - Becoming Insane, The Muses Rapt - Spiritual Healing, Shpongle - Doors of Perception, some darkpsy like Fragretrollet - The Forest Spirit, Nechropsycho - Macabra Queen and even some freaky Psycore like CinderVomit - Is This A Dream?... 

My little sister is now 3, and she really enjoys dancing with me and my best friend to oldschool goa at home :D

When he comes over, she will come and ask us to put on music and dance with her. She's gonna be the sweetest little raver in about 14 years I'm sure:)

This is a really funny and interesting topic (rare for Psynews these days). 

My fiancee is a primary school teacher (6-13 yo), me being a sound/light professional I usually help her (and the whole school) with the various plays and shows that they do. So I try to throw in as much alternative music as possible, since kids only listen to the rubbish promoted by TV and youtube.
Whenever they have anything to do with magical fairy tales and lepricons I usually put in some version of Gamma goblins, when they did a presentation about modern technology I put Rinkdadink-Message from my chilhood (which has a lot of 6-bit samples from old video games), Juno Reactor very often too.
This is not just limited to dance music, whenever there is some kind of battle or evil character, I prefer to throw in some punk or hardcore metal. This summer they are preparing a theater play based on sports and I'm planning to use 2 old-school Greek hip-hop songs which talks about people who succeed in life outside of the educational system but at the same time they mention the struggles in doing so and the struggels of their families unti they succeed.

What I've noticed with the kids is that they can't listen to it for a long time. They like the beat and the simple melodies and the effects but only for a short time. I think it has to do with their attention span and cognitive ablities which are still under-developed.

There's this funny story: My fiancee was just starting the preparations for a theater play and was explaining to the kids what's it going to be about, the characters, the music etc. So she played some tracks and some were trance tracks.

After the class ended, this 7 year old boy comes to her and says: -Miss, that was trance music, right? Have you got any Man With No Name at your playlist?

The kid is Naturelement's (https://www.discogs.com/artist/2037166-Naturelement) nephew so he had heard a lot of electronica at his studio. I actually know Dimitri very well, I just didn't know that he had a nephew at my fiancee's school.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...