Crying while listening to psytrance?

Void Mantra

Serious topic here.

It's been happening to me on several occations while listening to psytrance, especially Goa. Sometimes, the music is so overwhelmingly powerful that tears just started flowing, for no apparent reasons. Note quite sure why though. No joy, no pain, no drama. Pure ekstasis. Mind blown. And it just happens...

Anybody experienced this? 

Have experienced it a few times, also. Set & Setting is really important plus when it brings back a good memory. 

For example it happened to me while listening to Astral Projection - Mahadeva (yeah, you can hate for that)

Electric Universe - Rain

And several Dimension 5 tracks.

On 11/24/2017 at 9:32 AM, thanosp81 said:

Not crying but pretty close. One of the tracks that does this for me is the excellent...

That's an interesting choice. For me that is a real footstomping and pounding psychedelic track (one of the best), but doesn't take me anywhere close to emotional territory. The ones that would take me there would be something like the well-known moment in Pleiadians Alcyone or the really nice melody in Ominus We Mean You No Harm.

Never cried yet, (although I don't have a lot of dancefloor experience) but there are some tracks which make me scream with joy - although I think that's probably commonplace in this scene. One that pulls my Strings I can think of right now is "Intense Visitation", heard that one at a very bright and joyful and emotional party. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Some tracks like California Sunshine's can make feel real melancholic. Same for tracks that I listened to when I started listening to Psy when I was much younger, like 12 years ago, just because of nostalgia. But mostly I cry out of happiness after listening to or mixing a series of my favorite tracks. Because of serotonine overloads I guess? :)

Here's some melancholic non-Psy Trance tracks that have done the job for me.
Also euforic:

Darker:

On 25/02/2018 at 10:17 PM, Void Mantra said:

"I've never taken drugs of any kind, never had a glass of alcohol. Never had a cigarette, never had a cup of coffee." - Donald Trump

What are doing in our psyspace you fake-ass hippie? ;)

Oh, I have taken plenty of drugs and drank plenty of booze over the years. But crying while listening to psy trance has yet to occur.

5 hours ago, pedro said:

Oh, I have taken plenty of drugs and drank plenty of booze over the years. But crying while listening to psy trance has yet to occur.

Good for you! How long is your beard now? Ever tried Ayahuasca? I cried on Adham Shaikh if I remember right since the night had more albums as OST, a day/night with a.i.c.r. Androcell, Ott, mr. Shaikh (!!) was the most spiritualistic experience (the "drug", accompanied by the music - but if one forgets the music, the dmt) in my life after years with psy &party experiences and being a agnostic person if have to be put in a box, was Very genuine and beautifully spiritual. (2005> -thanks to The Green Channel ;) - Maan, the Shpongle night we had the other Aya-heya time, was such a whirlwind of dance:D)). The Shaikh's Fusion has some very psychedelic-trance in its own right inside
 Especially when the Aya takes hold :wub: 

I wonder, anyone with Iboga experience (, and music)? Must be tears involved *

I cried today .. my mom died 9 years ago today, at around 00:30 and Jaîa's Missing song reminded

1 hour ago, psytones said:

Good for you! How long is your beard now? Ever tried Ayahuasca? I cried on Adham Shaikh if I remember right since the night had more albums as OST, a day/night with a.i.c.r. Androcell, Ott, mr. Shaikh (!!) was the most spiritualistic experience (the "drug", accompanied by the music - but if one forgets the music, the dmt) in my life after years with psy &party experiences and being a agnostic person if have to be put in a box, was Very genuine and beautifully spiritual. (2005> -thanks to The Green Channel ;) - Maan, the Shpongle night we had the other Aya-heya time, was such a whirlwind of dance:D)). The Shaikh's Fusion has some very psychedelic-trance in its own right inside
 Especially when the Aya takes hold :wub: 

I wonder, anyone with Iboga experience (, and music)? Must be tears involved *

I cried today .. my mom died 9 years ago today, at around 00:30 and Jaîa's Missing song reminded

I'm sorry for your mom man. My thoughts are with you...

Agnostic but spiritual? Can you explain this? ;)

9 hours ago, Void Mantra said:

Agnostic but spiritual? Can you explain this? ;)

Religion has nothing to do with spiritualism. Spiritualism is often connected with religion, wrongly. You can be spiritual when you connect with nature, or reading a poem or looking at a painting. Even more so when just religion is, also wrongly, connected with god. Agnostic does not mean atheist. Long conversation for many but a simple look in a dictionary should be enough to clear any misunderstandings :) 

I am spiritual, I hate religions of any kind. I would like to believe there is a god but as a scientist I doubt it :) 

6 hours ago, thanosp81 said:

Religion has nothing to do with spiritualism. Spiritualism is often connected with religion, wrongly. You can be spiritual when you connect with nature, or reading a poem or looking at a painting. Even more so when just religion is, also wrongly, connected with god. Agnostic does not mean atheist. Long conversation for many but a simple look in a dictionary should be enough to clear any misunderstandings :) 

I am spiritual, I hate religions of any kind. I would like to believe there is a god but as a scientist I doubt it :) 

Are you familiar with Harris/Dawkins/Hitchens? I'm asking because you really sound like them. ;) Now, let's have a look at what spirituality means according to wikipedia:

"There is no single, widely agreed definition of spirituality.[11][12][note 1] Surveys of the definition of the term, as used in scholarly research, show a broad range of definitions[10] ranging from uni-dimensional definitions such as a personal belief in a supernatural realm[5] to broader concepts such as a quest for an ultimate/sacred meaning,[7] transcending the base/material aspects of life, and/or a sense of awe/wonderment and reverence toward the universe."

It seems, one way or another, that "spiritual" people do not deny the sacredness of their worldview, hence my suspicions when the agnostics (and the atheits for that matter) refer themselves as spiritual. I get the point that spirituality is not dogmatic, more experimental, more inclusive but there's still this notion of the "sacred" intrinsically linked to their beliefs (which is certainly true for all spiritual persons I know of, bar none). Some atheists (new atheism movement) would acknowledge some experiences as "spiritual" which is kind of wacky coming from a stricly materialist, deterministic viewpoint (which is absolutely what they stand for). Indeed, if the whole experience of listening to Bach can be explained in terms of synapses firing, neural pathways and dopamine, qualifying this kind of experience as "spiritual" is just preposterous.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. On a side note, have you ever heard of Ken Wilber's work? I highly, highly recommend his new book "The Religion of Tomorrow". Wilber makes a distinction between mythic-literal religions (which are those you loathe, and for good reasons) and the trans-rational ones embodied by some the mystics of the great traditions (i.e. Zen, Dzogchen Buddhism and Vedanta). I know more and more scientists are interested in those, especially since the rise of mindfulness meditation. It's a dense, thick book (more than 800 pages), but it's well worth the time and investment, especially so for the agnostics out there! :)

• Like 1

On 02/03/2018 at 3:44 PM, Void Mantra said:

Are you familiar with Harris/Dawkins/Hitchens?

Nope, not really. Never heard of them. Do they have a Bandcamp account? :P:P:P

and/or a sense of awe/wonderment and reverence toward the universe

In the end, the words only mean what we want them to portray and that fluctuates throughout time and cultures. For example, in greek, a spiritual person, a person a spirit is a thinking person, no mention about god (let alone religion) in there. Leaving in an age where moronic religious people are taking it up against science once again it is our duty to show them that they should "chill" a bit :) I don't understand why the awe I feel about the universe and that every molecule of my body was created in stars that died million years ago is less spiritual as an experience than someone believing he was created by intelligent design (I do that in the lab everyday). 

have you ever heard of Ken Wilber's work?

In my mind, there are good religions, the ones that are based upon a philosophical thought. But why not keep the philosophical bit in that case and remove the religious/superstitious nonsense and bring it to a higher level? How stupid can someone be when he thinks he believes in the right god, as his religion describes and CONFINES him/she/it, when god is anything BUT describable/understandable etc etc.

I take my que from ancient greeks. Although they did have a religion with tens of gods, demi-gods etc essentially they didn't care, that's why they new their religion and mythology is interwoven. They mostly cared about placing the questions and not the answers. That's why Philosophy and Science took off at that time, they were free.

Nope, not really. Never heard of them. Do they have a Bandcamp account?

Yes, they're releasing a split lp with the death metal band Atheist later this year, check it out. ;)

For example, in greek, a spiritual person, a person a spirit is a thinking person, no mention about god (let alone religion) in there. Leaving in an age where moronic religious people are taking it up against science once again it is our duty to show them that they should "chill" a bit.

Broadly speaking, the word "spiritual" refer to something immaterial. a simple google search on its etymology clearly show this. It just seems to me that some scientists just throw the word "spirit" in an attempt convey what they can't explain in materialist, mechanistic terms yet still fervently stick to their narrow, reductionist (everything is made of things) assumptions. My point is, if you want to stick to your guns in that department, fine but leave spirit out of the equation. Otherwise, you're doing a performative contraction. As far as I'm concerned, "awe" is indeed a much more appropriate word in this context. 

I don't understand why the awe I feel about the universe and that every molecule of my body was created in stars that died million years ago is less spiritual as an experience than someone believing he was created by intelligent design (I do that in the lab everyday).

What's even more curious to me is how some "scientists" believe that you can have order out of pure chaos or pure accident (atoms banging each other). Is it really more reasonable to believe in this "ops" theory than the one proposed by religions? I think not.

But why not keep the philosophical bit in that case and remove the religious/superstitious nonsense and bring it to a higher level? How stupid can someone be when he thinks he believes in the right god, as his religion describes and CONFINES him/she/it, when god is anything BUT describable/understandable etc etc.

Again, you're refering to pre-rational/mythic-literal religions; that's far from the whole story. But yes, if it can't pass the test of modernity and its scientific advances, yes I'm you with, it should be dismissed. However, we have to acknowledge that science, as of today, have quite many blind spots and is FAR from being in a position where it can answer some of the most important questions: What is consciousness? What is life and how is it created? What created the evolution? What came before the big bang? etc. My point is, we HAVE to be scientific, but also be humble about the fact that science's understanding of the universe is (very) limited. Otherwise, we might have much more in common with dogmatic religions than we'd like to think. 

Boy, what was the topic about again? :D

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Void Mantra said:

Yes, they're releasing a split lp with the death metal band Atheist later this year, check it out. ;)

Ahahaha.

30 minutes ago, Void Mantra said:

What's even more curious to me is how science believes that you can have order out of pure chaos or pure accident

Well, that's the difference, science doesn't believe. They observe, gather data and reach a consensus (and ready to change if data changes). Religion is about "truth" and science about knowledge. You cannot have the ultimate knowledge, ever, but religion believes it has the ultimate truth.

32 minutes ago, Void Mantra said:

Is it really more reasonable to believe in this "ops" theory than the one proposed by religions?

Yes it more reasonable to believe something observable, measurable and experimentally proven than a dogma created by a group of people thousands years ago under constant recession to the corners of what science is not able yet to explain.

35 minutes ago, Void Mantra said:

What is consciousness? What is life and how is it created? What created the evolution? What came before the big bang?

We are working on that, and we have a pretty good idea. We just need to prove it. Give us a couple of decades please :) BTW, evolution is a process, it is not created.

37 minutes ago, Void Mantra said:

My point is, we HAVE to be scientific, but also be humble about the fact that science's understanding of the universe is (very) limited.

Exactly, but a group of people that decided to write a book and tell me what to believe shouldn't be humble? Science's understanding is limited, religions understanding is zero.

39 minutes ago, Void Mantra said:

reductionist (everything is made of things) assumptions

Totally wrong, it has been recently observed that matter can appear from nothing. See, science, they change their "beliefs" depending on the evidence. :)

44 minutes ago, Void Mantra said:

in an attempt convey what they can't explain in materialist, mechanistic terms

What is that if not what religions are trying to do against god?

Take note though that I am bashing only religion. Not god or our need to believe in god.

41 minutes ago, Void Mantra said:

Boy, what was the topic about again? :D

I think it was about the last movie that made you cry or something haha.

• Like 1