How would you rate 2017 when it comes to psytrance?

Void Mantra

Out of 10, how would your rate 2017 when it comes to psytrance?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 10, how would your rate 2017 when it comes to psytrance?

On 03/12/2017 at 7:22 AM, tsotsi said:

It's a shame. Psynews has such a wealth of reviews and information on it. But forums in general are becoming less popular, so maybe its not trance exclusive.

2017 has been a great year i thought. For Goa, we've seen some pretty unique releases that touch the old and the newschool. The hypermelodic albums have been shadowed by the bass heavy strong kick dance floor blasters that have come out. Only a handful of prog and full on releases that i can recommend. Overall 6/10. For Goa im going to go for an 8/10

Another thing is, that reddit consumes all other forums on the internet, so maybe you can find a more active scene.

On 16/12/2017 at 1:05 PM, Mallenaut said:

Another thing is, that reddit consumes all other forums on the internet, so maybe you can find a more active scene.

I think only labels can tell us about the popularity of psytrance/Goa in 2017; not sure if the forum's activity is a good indication. 

On 12/17/2017 at 5:05 AM, Mallenaut said:

I find the Reddit layout and commenting system annoying. Psynews was the first forum I found with a layout that makes complete sense.

16 hours ago, Void Mantra said:

I think only labels can tell us about the popularity of psytrance/Goa in 2017; not sure if the forum's activity is a good indication. 

From our perspective it's on the similar level like previous year based on analytics we conduct each year on our social media and Bandcamp (even we had less releases published this year). Unfortunately the number of paying supporters isn't increasing, so number of new releases will continue to decline in the future (and I believe that is something each label has to deal with and try to find the best solution to keep things running).

1 hour ago, Neogoa Records said:

Unfortunately the number of paying supporters isn't increasing, so number of new releases will continue to decline in the future (and I believe that is something each label has to deal with and try to find the best solution to keep things running).

This saddens me. Maybe charging a minimal fee (say 5$) could help a bit? Tapes are also usually good sellers, maybe it would do well with old-schoolers? Or is it that Goa is just too much of a niche genre and there's nothing to do about it? Maybe...

On 24/11/2017 at 7:50 PM, U.F.Orb said:

One of the worst and uninteresting years for me.

'Good Vibrations'/'Grow Your Own' were great when it comes to 2017 music.

But the rest of it is simply boring.

Maybe a new Psykovsky album will save it, who knows.

++

https://dvsm.bandcamp.com/album/silent-horror-hex

I'd say 7, not bad not great and definetely not remarkable

interesting stuff from the full-on camp (psylocibian, hypnocoustics, braincell, manmademan)

unique stuff from LOUD 

mad stuff from the goa camp (hypnoxock, proxeeus, KOB, morphic resonance) i'm still waiting for the black noise debut album and that awesome analogy sound like martian arts

don't know enough about the ambient/downtempo/experimental though

Hardly bought any new psytrance this year, partly through lack of time to check stuff out (same reason I'm almost never here any more) and partly because I didn't see much that grabbed my interest when periodically checking Goastore. Am I right in thinking that a smaller proportion of albums get a physical release these days?

I didn't find too much goa this year (could be out there and I just didn't hear it), but still lots of good psy came out in 2017:

V/A - Terraformer (Global Sect) - huuuuuge goa comp

V/A - Dimensional Gateway 4 (Neogoa)

Imba - Golden Times (Spacedock)

Morphic Resonance - Trip To The Stars (DAT)

Morphic Resonance - Chromatic World Revisited (Neogoa)

Median Project - On Saturn (Timewarp)

Spirit Architect - Moonshine (Dacru)

Digicult & U-Recken - Days In Paradise (Dacru)

Psilocybian - Third Eye Itch (BMSS)

Airi - Conscious Species (Zenon)

JaraLuca - Fata Morgana (Goa Madness)

Zymosis - Insight (Sentimony Records) - more on the downtempo/idm side but still psy and awesome

Ajja - Spira Mirabilis (TIP)

Ajja & Outsiders - Divine Particles (Sacred Technology)

and I released an EP on Timewarp so I'm pretty happy about that

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2017 at 10:08 PM, Grayling said:

Pretty mediocre to be honest. Asia 2001 Live reissue is pretty awesome. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to Mind Rewind 4, most likely going to be my favorite goa album of the year.

Much bigger year in techno for me, but that belongs in another forum. 

No Mind Rewind 4 release in 2017 unfortunately... good thing I've developed a DEEP appreciation for Identity Mash! The more I listen, the more I like it. 

Here's to a better 2018 in goa trance. Triquetra is a very good start.