How would you rate 2017 when it comes to psytrance?

Void Mantra

Out of 10, how would your rate 2017 when it comes to psytrance?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Out of 10, how would your rate 2017 when it comes to psytrance?

I don't know if I haven't been active enough, but this year was pretty underwhelming, just bought one Album (VA - Inti) and it was pretty disappointing. Just the single of Imba Golden Times is my Highlight of this year. 

At least I used the missing qualitiy for craving out some old unknown releases.

PS: Also got the new Hilight Tribe album, which was nice.

One of the worst and uninteresting years for me.

'Good Vibrations'/'Grow Your Own' were great when it comes to 2017 music.

But the rest of it is simply boring.

Maybe a new Psykovsky album will save it, who knows.

it's hard to keep track of the overall quality of a year, year after year to make any real comparison... there's just too much music and too many burnt out brain cells.

but i am consistently listening to lots of new psytrance... so i'd say it's been a solid year. i can recall moments of getting lost in the music, which is all anyone can hope for. 

this year i'm trying to be more selective with what i listen to, as there is not enough time to warrant wasting it on the increasing amounts of cookie cutter B.S being churned out. i'd say more than 60% is derivative, 20% is decently enjoyable and 20% is top notch.

so as long as music is still getting produced, there will be some gems out there when the mediocrity has been sifted through.

... this still wasn't the year that i started to like dark/forest/hi-tech and i feel like the amount (but not the quality) of goa releases has been lacking but there's more than enough full on, progressive, psybient and dj sets to placate me.

what kind of replay value people are getting out of albums? i'll often gamble by listening to something i've never heard before rather than replay something proven to be high quality... 

i'll leave the album recommendations for the annual top 10 list, hopefully the people who were underwhelmed by this year's output will discover some magic there

it's been an above average year for me. there are plenty of ok or interesting releases, even though 2017 is lacking spectacular albums such as earthcall, dream telepathy or read more from 2016. many things are only discovered later, others need some time to grow so i don't see any reason to complain about 2017 just yet.

25 minutes ago, Padmapani said:

it's been an above average year for me. there are plenty of ok or interesting releases, even though 2017 is lacking spectacular albums such as earthcall, dream telepathy or read more from 2016. many things are only discovered later, others need some time to grow so i don't see any reason to complain about 2017 just yet.

Exactly.

imho it's rather a year of quantity. besides those mentioned above we have skizologic and goa tree. if you also look beyond goa we have releases by martian arts, ovnimoon, protonica, braincell, tron, daniel lesden, e-clip, lunarave, chameleon; plus ajja, alwoods, dubsalon, gmo vs. dense, profondita, astral waves and saafi brothers on the downtempo side.

the sheer quantity makes up for the lack of any truly outstanding albums.

Can't say much on Goa because I haven't listened to it for some time now... but what I heard of Psytrance I am pretty happy!

Even big labels and their artists such as Nano or TIP are going up with BPM and focusing more towards night time or twilightish style which is perfect for my taste. Psytrance is coming great again!

8/10

On 26/11/2017 at 5:36 AM, Manuser said:

5/10 for me, but obviously I have not listened to everything.

KOB - Identity Mash is very good. Ajja - Spira Mirabilis too if you like this kind of style.

Thanks, but KOB - Identity Mash was one of those releases, that didn't do anything inside me.

On 11/26/2017 at 4:06 AM, Imba said:

Can't say much on Goa because I haven't listened to it for some time now... but what I heard of Psytrance I am pretty happy!

Even big labels and their artists such as Nano or TIP are going up with BPM and focusing more towards night time or twilightish style which is perfect for my taste. Psytrance is coming great again!

8/10

Recommendations yo!

9 hours ago, Penzoline said:

Recommendations yo!

VA - Keep It Psychedelic - compiled by DJ Regan

Dickster & Hypnocoustics - Low Rider (released today!)

Dickster - Elastic Dreams EP

Killerwatts - Edge Of Time

Imaginarium - Amok

Pogo - Rock Your Soul

Martian Arts - Giant Locusts

Mad Tribe - Amazing Tales From Outer Space

Chris Rich - Quantum Soup

VA - Mind Surfers (compiled by Tiann)

VA - Sunset Temple (compiled by Dr Space)

VA - Chacaruna (compiled by Emiel)

VA - Pangea (compiled by Pila)

VA - Jungle Calling vol. 2

Djantrix - Secret Story

Pogo & Djantrix - Rejoicer

Djantrix & Spirit Architect - Experiemental Virus

Spirit Architect - Moonshine

PsiloCybian - Throat Chakra

Reversed Logic - Leave Your Logic

and many moreeeee

• Thanks 1

Solid 6. There was some really great stuff released in 2017, but overall there wasn't a lot of releases that I enjoyed big time. Truth to be told I couldn't check everything that came out this year, so some recommendations here will help out for sure!

21 hours ago, Mallenaut said:

Thanks, but KOB - Identity Mash was one of those releases, that didn't do anything inside me.

Fair enough, a matter of taste, I enjoyed it more than most Filteria albums. 

9 hours ago, Imba said:

VA - Keep It Psychedelic - compiled by DJ Regan

Dickster & Hypnocoustics - Low Rider (released today!)

Dickster - Elastic Dreams EP

Killerwatts - Edge Of Time

Imaginarium - Amok

Pogo - Rock Your Soul

Martian Arts - Giant Locusts

Mad Tribe - Amazing Tales From Outer Space

Chris Rich - Quantum Soup

VA - Mind Surfers (compiled by Tiann)

VA - Sunset Temple (compiled by Dr Space)

VA - Chacaruna (compiled by Emiel)

VA - Pangea (compiled by Pila)

VA - Jungle Calling vol. 2

Djantrix - Secret Story

Pogo & Djantrix - Rejoicer

Djantrix & Spirit Architect - Experiemental Virus

Spirit Architect - Moonshine

PsiloCybian - Throat Chakra

Reversed Logic - Leave Your Logic

and many moreeeee

Thanks for this list Imba :) will keep me busy on Youtube approaching Christmas.

Pretty mediocre to be honest. Asia 2001 Live reissue is pretty awesome. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to Mind Rewind 4, most likely going to be my favorite goa album of the year.

Much bigger year in techno for me, but that belongs in another forum. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grayling said:

Pretty mediocre to be honest. Asia 2001 Live reissue is pretty awesome. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to Mind Rewind 4, most likely going to be my favorite goa album of the year.

Much bigger year in techno for me, but that belongs in another forum. 

Thanks for mentioning the reissue of Asia 2001 - Live. Was waiting for this for a long time, will get it today for sure.

On 11/23/2017 at 8:45 PM, Void Mantra said:

One thing though:

2015: 911 posts

2016: 870 posts

2017: 283 posts

What's happening here? :mellow:

This saddens me.  It's happening to a lot of other trance forums too.

12 hours ago, Meltwater said:

This saddens me.  It's happening to a lot of other trance forums too.

It's a shame. Psynews has such a wealth of reviews and information on it. But forums in general are becoming less popular, so maybe its not trance exclusive.

2017 has been a great year i thought. For Goa, we've seen some pretty unique releases that touch the old and the newschool. The hypermelodic albums have been shadowed by the bass heavy strong kick dance floor blasters that have come out. Only a handful of prog and full on releases that i can recommend. Overall 6/10. For Goa im going to go for an 8/10

On 24-11-2017 at 3:20 PM, U.F.Orb said:

'Good Vibrations'/'Grow Your Own' were great when it comes to 2017 music.

I was about to name these exact 2 releases as highlights for me too!

I rated this year a 3. I mostly check out Goa, Forest and Parvati style slower Dark Psy. I noticed Bandcamp and other digital platforms are beginning to become more popular and lucrative. I bought most of my music from there. I rated this year a 3 because there haven't been any new releases (not remasters) by major labels that really stuck by me (or there were none at all), whereas 2015 and 2015 had lots. I love the direction the "Forest" side is taking. A few decent mentions:

- Purosurpo EP (finally a first solo release)

- VA - Mind Games (Moon Koradji)

- Zoon - The Holy Tree (Mossy Behavior)

• Like 1