04. 09’39” Fix the FX

05. 08’33” Race Trouble

06. 08’19” New Age Surf

07. 07’19” Scruffy Connection

08. 07’16” Mind Hunters

09. 05’24” Party People

Review:

Halloween trance!

Finally Paris-based trance duo Digital Talk (Luc & Julien of former Droidsect fame) is out with their debut album … Released by Greek label Acidance, renowned for darker releases and with album mastering by “horror trance godfather” Xenomorph, the basis for some spooky horror trance should be laid down…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: We launch straight into… Da-da-da-da… The Abyss! Quickly the listener is introduced to the dark, distorted, mental, horror-trance sound that is present throughout the album… Also Digital Talk elegantly showcases their outstanding production quality… Spotless, crystal clear, sounds – it’s a pleasure to listen to! I particularly enjoy the second, most full on half of this track… Sweet track!

#02: This track is slightly darker, more monotonous and more introvert… The baseline is slightly tedious, though there are small variations… There are interesting bits, especially the bleeps but they kinda drown in the cloned bass… Decent track!

#03: What does the Spanish word for bicycle has to do with time travel? Listen to this track and you’ll be even more confused! This track is dark and gritty, but again the baseline is a bit tedious and at times it’s as if it lacks direction… Ok track!

#04: Now things are picking up again…We are treated with more variation now… Mad, extreme, intense, intoxicating, crazy, spooky – this track is all that and more… Make sure you have the proper audio equipment - the bass in this is one is HUGE! ;o) The last 4 minutes are just pure bliss… Extremely twisted and psychedelic, this is so tasty! Kick ass track!

#05: Together with #7, this is the fastest track here and I’m a sucker for good old fast-paced full on… Complete with dark Darth Vader-like distorted vocals, this baby will fit right into any decent set of dark night trance. Stellar track!

#06: Very neat swooshing FX in the intro of this title track… Intelligent use of stereo… Steady, dark bass line all the way through with jolly bouncing melodies sprayed on top… Though slightly more variation wouldn’t have hurt… Nice track!

#07: Another extremely fast-paced tune… The horror atmosphere is very much intact… Very trippy, very dark… Those weird, pitched up alien-baby voices in the second half of the track freaks me out! I fear to watch, yet I cannot look away… Smooth track!

#08: Weird old zombie-lazy baseline combined with dark, twisted psychedelia and voice samples from some horror-flick… Again the production is crystal clear – sonic wizardry at its best! Cool track!

#09: Well, I’ll be dammed, if this isn’t even darker than the rest… Despite a bpm of only 72! Be prepared for this one – extremely scary stuff… If this was a movie, I’d be covering my eyes by now… What the fuck is this - horror ambient? Whatever the hell it is, I’m sold… This is so unbelievably well crafted! I could not have wished for a better track to finish off the album… Amazing track!

You’ll definitely have to been in the mood for this… You’ll have to dig the darker sides of full on psytrance to appreciate this… Critics will dub this boring and predictable – more than a few tracks have almost the same baseline throughout the album. However, there is variation on a subtle level… You’ll just have to dig deeper to find it… The engineer work is flawless… These boys sure know their way around a studio – and I’m sure Xenomorph’s presence didn’t impede the process of creating this murky piece… If you’re looking for tunes for your next Halloween set, give this one a try!

8/10

Favourites: 1, 4(!!), 5(!), 9(!!!)

DeathPosture

External links:

Digital Talk: www.digitaltalk.droidsect.com

Acidance Records: www.acidance-records.com (Sound clips available!)

Psyshop: www.psyshop.com

Saiko Sounds: www.saikosounds.com

Chaos Unlimited: www.chaosunlimited.co.uk

Guest AcidScout

good review DeathPosture,

but i don't like this album, to much GMS style not really innovated! i like more the comp. tracks.

yes, good work from Xenomorph Mark!

6/10

• 1 year later...

The New age surf track (number 6) is my all time favorite track for a trip. a must for me :) that kick my ass . i don't specially listen too much the other track anymore ... but i need to.

• 6 months later...

in my opinion this is a real album, not just a collection of songs. THeres an atmosphere that is carried throughout. I would give it an 8.7/10.

• 4 months later...

waited for nexts releseads ....

Digital talk : new age surf .....

very great french fullon ...

fucking acid album !

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Digital Talk - New Age Surf (2004/ Acidance)

Posted Image

1. Abyss

2. Akara

3. La Bicicleta

4. Fix The Fx

5. Race Trouble

6. New Age Surf

7. Scruffy Connection

8. Mind Hunters

9. Party People

Digital Talk (Luc Achintre & Julien Fougea) delivers finally their début album. As it can be expected from these French guys New Age Surf focuses on dark psytrance with a special care put on rhythmic & samples – sounds background .

Abyss put you directly without premises into their dark & mental production, a particularly powerful track with a short melancholic lead at 4'30 (coming back later on) reminding me Cosma's work on Nonstop embellished with lots of bleeps.

Akara is dryer with several nice & weird sounds in the background conferring a scheming atmosphere , a mental stuff less easy to dig on, the kind of sound which can grow on you little by little after several listens.

La Bicicleta sounds quickly more dancefloor unfortunately it lacks a little bit of something to result better (madness probably).

Fix the fx is more kickin & the bass is rumbling (in a Absolum style). The track blots a bit after the 6'35 but not enough to my taste, too diesel indeed.

Race Trouble has some sheeps bleating samples, there was probably something more psychedelic to do, mixing sheeps & race trouble concept, but they didn't achieve it nevertheless the start idea was good.

New Age Surf is more energic & catchy, something stronger from the start that suits me more.

Scruffy Connection is among the 2 most psychedelic & crazy track of the album , i immediately enjoy the apocalyptic & panic feeling (especially after 4'00). It seems like if you were taken in a big cataclysm & you're one of the rare survivors running away.

Mind Hunters encloses several good surprising changing bassline tones giving lots of depth to this production in an ever rising climax trend.

When i heard Party People, i check twice the track title as it's so far from what you can guess with such a title. Indeed it's a pure downtempo exercise with their psydark touch, slow motion musical action coupled with contemplative soundscapes.

By order

Highlights :7,8

Good :6,1,9,2

Nice :3,4

Mark :8,/10 (worth buying it for those who are into the dark side of psychedelic trance power )

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

MK5Ca8B.jpg

Artist: Digital Talk

Title: New Age Surf

Label: Acidance Records

Date: April, 2004

1. Abyss
2. Akara
3. La Bicicleta
4. Fix The Fx
5. Race Trouble
6. New Age Surf
7. Scruffy Connection
8. Mind Hunters
9. Party People

This french duo deliver some early twilight sounds. Dark as hell without plunging into darkpsy, it is bass line driven stuff. As DP said you'll hear the same bass line in several tracks. Melodies are infrequent and while they go heavy on the effects (love the goat) I am one of those who find it boring. I used to like it more, but time has passed this by. Fear not though, their sound and depth of production got better over the years.

Mdk