Freedom Fighters - Edge [HOMmega]

thanks for the heads up... unfortunately wasn't feeling it too much after one go around... the first 3 tracks are decent, especially the Ticon collab but then it falls apart... it's like a template for full on psytrance with no deviation or creative spark

i respect the role Israel has played in shaping goa but their brand of psytrance has become too cheesy... i can pretty much pick out Israeli psytrance without even knowing that the artist is from there just based on the vibe... 

this album is rife with overused overblown flatulating glitch synths, generic build-ups and drops accompanied by a feeling of trying to appeal to drunk clubbers rather than a refined sound to hypnotize on a cerebral level... it's kind of ironically titled since it seems to be lacking any edge 

i saw that Infected Mushroom gave props to Freedom Fighters as "one of the best upcoming artists at the moment" which is almost a negative recommendation in my book

i may be completely wrong and wouldn't be surprised if this makes it into the top of the psyshop charts but hey, it takes all kinds to make the world go round

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2017 at 5:18 AM, gfp1 said:

trying to appeal to drunk clubbers rather than a refined sound to hypnotize on a cerebral level

Sad state of affairs that this is where the genre is headed in large part. 

I'm not really sure why this particular album is singled out as "rife with overused overblown flatulating glitch synths, generic build-ups and drops accompanied by a feeling of trying to appeal to drunk clubbers" because I can name dozens of much more formulaic and blatantly opportunistic releases over the last years going across the spectrum: from progressive, through full-on and goa to dark / forest. Sure, it's not revolutionary or anything, but - for me - it actually stands out from majority of what's being released, same like last year's Loud's "5 Billion Stars" did (met with hugely polarising reviews). It helps that other artists were involved, because it creates sort of a journey here, resulting in a pretty varied release that's still held together by a common sound.

I'd actually be grateful if you could point to other albums in this vein? :)