The new board - issues and stuff...

RTP

Hello all

I figured I might as well make a new thread when we already have a new forum ... for miscellaneous stuff, some of which may be a problem, some an issue ... and some not any of the two.

Maybe we can step by step evolve together and get into this new forum software piece by piece.

First, the rounded avatars ... I hate them. The setting how to change these is hidden in the "theme" settings in the ACP. I changed them to square ones in the BlueBoh skin. Let me know if that was a good idea or not...
I could change them for other skins aswell maybe?

Also note we have heard that some people having problems with setting the skin.

Option: we set a dark skin as default for EVERYBODY. Let me know if you prefer that. I might make a poll, but can't be bothered right now.

OK, since the discussion didn't spark as I hoped, I just did it. I don't want anybody forcefully using the eye cancer bright theme if they want otherwise.

So: dark skin for everybody. We are now all Blue ("BlueBoh"). Da ba dee.

If anybody doesn't like the dark skin, he/she/it can change it at the bottom under the option "Theme".

Since everybody had the bright theme, it should be available to everyone ... reverse logic.

You are welcome to report back ... cheers!

Thanks, this is much better, square avatars and all.

Line breaks are a bit odd, they seem to create what looks like a new paragraph (which leads to a bit too much wasted space), like this:

Line 1

Line 2

But if I copypaste something from Notepad++ for example:

Line 1
Line 2

Also, the dialog box from clicking "Mark site read" has white text on white background (and the cancel button is almost impossible to see), and of course it'd be nice if clicking OK would take me back to the main page :)

psynews03.png

psynews04.png

@Paul Eye

• You can make a "normal" line break by holding SHIFT and pressing Enter.
    If you just press Enter, a new paragraph is created.

• I cannot change that white text because I don't know which CSS style sheet controls it ... sorry. Maybe one other day I can fix it, but no guarantee...

• The DJspelling has been changed

Cheers

Here is my input and suggestion.

On the dark theme you should change the new/old icons for forums. It's almost impossible to distinct the new and old topics in certain forum. Example in attachment. I also added slightly different version of icon.

I hope this suggestion helps.

Cheers

Screenshot-2017-10-3 Psynews org.png

icon_psynews.png

On 2 October 2017 at 6:03 AM, Paul Eye said:

yes, this goes into the annoying nitpick category...

since, we're at it now: the new darker theme has exactly the same amount of contrast as the old one. before everything was the same shade of white, now everything is the same shade of greenish-blue. can't they make a default theme that has white posts seperated by grey and everything on a blue background like the old psynews? or indeed any other combination of colours that makes it easy to tell apart different posts without having to resort to clues such as avatar placement would be helpful.

so there are no simple colour settings for each theme?

well, then i guess it's more important to keep psynews running for a longer period of time rather than investing the funds into making it look good. (in addition to that, even if we had more than enough funds, we probably still couldn't agree on which one is a good theme that's worth the money ;) ). we'll get used to how it looks.

@Richpa ... There is a possibility to exchange the icon for every forum, but you have to do it by hand for every single one and there is no setting for the "no new posts" version, it will be just the same image but a little faded out ... I have doubt that it's worth the effort...

omg... i just found the dark theme. thank you!

this forum change coincided with the layout of another forum I used to frequent regularly and the layout of the avclub website. All of which have been super displeasing and have kept me from checking in as much. I just have a hard time with weird large white forum aesthetics. hopefully this new darker theme will help.

I keep getting the following screen when trying to access the site from my phone's data stream. When I'm logged into a wifi connection, everything is fine. If I'm on a regular data network, I cannot even get to a login screen. I just show that I'm banned. Since this happens without being logged in, I think a mod here may have IP banned, not a user, but the entire t-mobile network or something. 
again, it's not account specific and doesn't happen when on wifi, just anytime I try to access the forum from a data stream. this has been a problem before the update, just before the update it never said I was banned. Just said I couldn't view the forum. 

Thoughts?

banned.png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

i am not able to see registered users online. It is weird (compared to the last version). Also, Tor browser says "you have not a permission to view this site". Must be that psynews is really inward oriented, lots of lols! Hi, Filipe! You have means to see all this, don't ya? 

• 2 weeks later...

The "banned" thing is a T-Mobile issue ... it seems that T-Mobile is routing their traffic - or parts of it - across only a few adresses and if somebody on the T-Mobile network was banned chances are high that it will affect YOU too when you surf via T-Mobile.

I have this issue frequently in other applications with only and exclusively T-Mobile

Sorry nothing I can fix

Edit: the Chrome thing may be a variation of this issue as I think Chrome is syncing the traffic ofer a handful of IPs aswell to get better and faster browsing ... just speculation though?